Every week, one item or another in my pull and hold stands out for me above the rest in one way or another. Sometimes it’s a periodical, sometimes a graphic novel, sometimes a collection. Does that happen to you? If so, let’s hear about it here. It can be an item you’ve long anticipated or something you bought on a whim. If it’s something you were really looking forward to but ended up being a big disappointment, let’s hear about that here, too. I’ve been meaning to start this topic for a long time now, but chose today to post about something I’ve been waiting for a long time, long before it was even solicited.

SILVER SURFER EPIC COLLECTION BY STEVE ENGLEHART AND MARSHAL ROGERS

This is a favorite run of mine, but I’ve read it only twice: once as it was released, and I re-read it once after that. It came out as an “ESSENTIAL” a few years ago, but for this I held out for color.

EDIT: Most weeks I make my picks before I have read them, but feel free to choose either the books you anticipate most before you read or enjoy the most after you have read them.

Views: 4194

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Today's pick is Batman 16, the opening chapter of "I Am Bane." Not only is it a tense, what-happens-next opener to what looks to be a great Batman story, but it has a scene with Batman and all the Robins (and quasi-Robin, Duke) hanging out in a Batman-themed fast food restaurant. Best food item on the menu: "Killer Croque Monsieur." Dick, Jason, and Damian have such great moments as brothers in this scene.

I'll say it: As popular & accomplished as Scott Snyder is as a Batman writer, Tom King's take on Batman resonates with me much more.

The Unstoppable Wasp #2

This week I am looking forward to The Few #3 from Image. This is a nice, heavy book with art by Hayden Sherman and written by Sean Lewis. It's about a snowy, post-apocalyptic future (yawn, right?), but this is a good one. It's about a man, a young woman, and her baby all struggling to find clean water in a world that is terrified to give up what they have. I really like this book. I'm actually surprised that I haven't switched to the trade quite yet.

I haven’t posted to this thread for a while, so here are a couple choices from recent weeks.

GRASS KINGS

ELEANOR & THE EGRET

X-MEN PRIME/GOLD/BLUE

I haven’t read X-Men much since 1990 or so. Every once in a while, I’ll give an X-series a try. Sometimes I’ll stay (Grant Morrison’s New X-Men, Whedon and Cassiday’s Astonishing X-Men), other times not. Prime and Gold are off to a good start, and I’ll be trying Blue this week.

Can't remember if these were in the same week but:

Titans Annual 1 has a nice character driven story that shows us what the post-Rebirth relationships are between some of the heroes and their younger mentors.

Lazuras 26 was as good as ever but I liked it even more for Rucka's political screed in the letters page.

What was Rucka's screed about? He's a conservative, isn't he? I'd think he'd be pretty happy.

Also, I enjoyed the Titans Annual as well, for the reasons you cite. I'm not crazy about the new relationship between Wonder Woman and Donna Troy, but I liked the contrast between Barry/Wally and everyone else.

Speaking of X-Men Gold, if you haven't heard, there's some controversy attached. Evidently Indonesian artist Ardian Syaf inserted some political stuff from Indonesia that wasn't very pretty. For example, he had Colossus wearing a T-shirt with a Quran reference that is insulting to Jews and Christians. He had Kitty Pryde's head next to a jewelry store sign where "Jew" was pretty prominent. And so forth.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I haven’t posted to this thread for a while, so here are a couple choices from recent weeks.

GRASS KINGS

ELEANOR & THE EGRET

X-MEN PRIME/GOLD/BLUE

I haven’t read X-Men much since 1990 or so. Every once in a while, I’ll give an X-series a try. Sometimes I’ll stay (Grant Morrison’s New X-Men, Whedon and Cassiday’s Astonishing X-Men), other times not. Prime and Gold are off to a good start, and I’ll be trying Blue this week.

No, Rucka's liberal. Maybe he gives off a conservative vibe because he writes so much about the military and intelligence agencies? But yeah, he's pretty p.o.'d.

Captain Comics said:

What was Rucka's screed about? He's a conservative, isn't he? I'd think he'd be pretty happy.

Also, I enjoyed the Titans Annual as well, for the reasons you cite. I'm not crazy about the new relationship between Wonder Woman and Donna Troy, but I liked the contrast between Barry/Wally and everyone else.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

No, Rucka's liberal. Maybe he gives off a conservative vibe because he writes so much about the military and intelligence agencies? But yeah, he's pretty p.o.'d.

Captain Comics said:

Yeah, he's not at all a fan of President Asterisk. There's been some back and forth about it in previous letter columns, but this time he devoted a few pages to it.

In many ways, Lazarus theorizes about what the world could become under the rule of someone like President Asterisk with a few wealthy families with corporate empires running the entire world and the rest of the population reduced to serfdom.

Detective 445 said:

Can't remember if these were in the same week but:

Titans Annual 1 has a nice character driven story that shows us what the post-Rebirth relationships are between some of the heroes and their younger mentors.

That should have read "older mentors." Don't know why I typed it that way.

SHAOLIN COWBOY: Who’ll Stop the Reign? #1: This is one of my favorite series from the early 2Ks. I was a bit surprised to see it come back, though, because the main character died in his last appearance a couple of years ago. I know, I know… “Only Bucky dies forever” (and now even that’s not true anymore). Anyway, after spending most of the first issue dealing with that, one of the best (one of my favorite, anyway) series of the past decade is back.

My pick of the week is Astro City 43, which largely concerns The Gentleman, a Fred MacMurray/Captain Marvel type in a tux who's made appearances in numerous Astro City stories, but has never gotten the spotlight before. His origin is really clever and poignant, and not something I want to give away here. But  while this issue ties in to the greater Broken Man story, it's also pretty much a done-in-one, so (like any issue of Astro City) it's well worth picking up. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service