Every week, one item or another in my pull and hold stands out for me above the rest in one way or another. Sometimes it’s a periodical, sometimes a graphic novel, sometimes a collection. Does that happen to you? If so, let’s hear about it here. It can be an item you’ve long anticipated or something you bought on a whim. If it’s something you were really looking forward to but ended up being a big disappointment, let’s hear about that here, too. I’ve been meaning to start this topic for a long time now, but chose today to post about something I’ve been waiting for a long time, long before it was even solicited.

SILVER SURFER EPIC COLLECTION BY STEVE ENGLEHART AND MARSHAL ROGERS

This is a favorite run of mine, but I’ve read it only twice: once as it was released, and I re-read it once after that. It came out as an “ESSENTIAL” a few years ago, but for this I held out for color.

EDIT: Most weeks I make my picks before I have read them, but feel free to choose either the books you anticipate most before you read or enjoy the most after you have read them.

Views: 4194

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

BUG #4: I hope everyone reading and enjoying the current Mister Miracle series has given Bug a try. The two series could not be more different in terms of look and tone, but both are wonderful examples of the versatility of Jack Kirby concepts.

Strangely, even though I get a bunch of weekly books via digital review copies, I still tend to read a given title 4-6 issues at a time, like a TPB. That being said, comments here have pushed Mister Miracle and Bug to the top of the list.

Apparently, Mister Miracle has gone back for multiple printings. Nice to see a book like that having so much success.  I posed a question in another thread about whether or not there are any game changers working in comics right now. I think Tom King might be in that conversation.

Oh, man, I just read Bug #4, and it's a blast. And Cap, it's pretty episodic. Like a picaresque novel, it's all connected together, but each chapter is in a different setting with a different problem to solve -- and with a different guest star. Fun stuff!

Incidentally, I might be enjoying Lee Allred's writing work more than than the stories Michael Allred writes himself. Both Batman '66/Legion of Superheroes and Bug have been completely in sync with my idea of fun.

What he said.

Some good stuff this week (all DC coincidentally):

Mister Miracle continues to be great, Detective is back on track with Mr Oz and Future Tim Drake providing some intrigue and Dark Knights Metal is very entertaining if nothing else.

But my pick will go to The Wild Storm: Michael Cray #1

I really like the main series and this is pretty much in the same vein.  Apparently this character has previously been known as Deathblow. I've never read any Deathblow comics but I enjoy him here. And in an interesting development, it seems that the new Wild Storm Universe also includes alternate versions of DC heroes. In this issue we meet an Oliver Queen who is not a heroic figure to put it mildly.

My favorite part of Mister Miracle #3 was the Kirby-esque captions on page four. Taken out of the context of a bombastic splash page, the text takes on a dark and depressing feel when presented against panels depicting ordinary (non-)action. This juxtaposition demonstrates an Alan Moore-like use of language.

But my pick this week goes to Fighting American. A time warp has brought Fighting American (don’t call him “F.A.”!) from 1955 to 2017. Simon and Kirby’s original series was humorous (allegedly), but it was never as cleverly camp. Different publishers have tried reviving Fighting America with limited success, but I think this new series may succeed where others have failed.

An interesting  article about Mister Miracle.

I think you're right about the "success where others have failed" thing. I loved this issue. The set-up keeps the writer from having to update the character for modern sensibilities, and we still get to see Fighting American and Speedboy in the modern day. It's played for humor, but not obnoxiously so. It's really pretty perfect. The artwork is just the right mix of modern style with a little bit of what Ben Marra has done in All Time Comics thrown into it. Is this a miniseries?

Jeff of Earth-J said:

But my pick this week goes to Fighting American. A time warp has brought Fighting American (don’t call him “F.A.”!) from 1955 to 2017. Simon and Kirby’s original series was humorous (allegedly), but it was never as cleverly camp. Different publishers have tried reviving Fighting America with limited success, but I think this new series may succeed where others have failed.

“Is this a miniseries?”

Hmm… don’t know.

“An interesting article about Mister Miracle.”

Thanks for posting the link!

If it's not, it will be interesting to see where they go after the first story. I do love the idea of a couple of guys with an eternally optimistic spirit clashing with the modern day pessimism. It will be weird to see what happens after that plays out if it is indeed an ongoing.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

“Is this a miniseries?”

Hmm… don’t know.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service