Every week, one item or another in my pull and hold stands out for me above the rest in one way or another. Sometimes it’s a periodical, sometimes a graphic novel, sometimes a collection. Does that happen to you? If so, let’s hear about it here. It can be an item you’ve long anticipated or something you bought on a whim. If it’s something you were really looking forward to but ended up being a big disappointment, let’s hear about that here, too. I’ve been meaning to start this topic for a long time now, but chose today to post about something I’ve been waiting for a long time, long before it was even solicited.

SILVER SURFER EPIC COLLECTION BY STEVE ENGLEHART AND MARSHAL ROGERS

This is a favorite run of mine, but I’ve read it only twice: once as it was released, and I re-read it once after that. It came out as an “ESSENTIAL” a few years ago, but for this I held out for color.

EDIT: Most weeks I make my picks before I have read them, but feel free to choose either the books you anticipate most before you read or enjoy the most after you have read them.

Views: 5222

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've had a hard time getting comics for a month, so I've stayed off of this thread. But from the gigantic haul I brought home on Wednesday, among my favorites were the two most recent issues of Detective Comics. The focus is on Clayface, and Batman's questionable decision to include an ex-villain on the team. He's been one of my favorite characters in the book, and seeing him revert to evil is a heartbreaker -- and yet at the same time it's fascinating and action-packed, as suddenly he's an evil shapeshifter who's been TRAINED BY BATMAN. It's good stuff, well-scripted and with gorgeous art, and I can't wait to see where poor Basil (poor, deadly Basil) ends up.  

I never cared for the giant Bat-family until James Tynan made me care with this book. Steph, Cass, Tim, Kate, Luke, and even Jean-Paul...they're all much more real to me now. 

Mine is Mister Miracle #6. This should be no surprise. Shocking revelations abound, a pleasure to read, and a pleasure to look at.

Another week of largely mediocre choices. I'm going to go with Champions #16.

Put me down for Strangers in Paradise XXV #1.

Going again with which comic I was motivated to read first, again Avengers (#677) get the nod.

I read two issues of Avengers, two issues of Phoenix Resurrected and Doctor Strange, and enjoyed 'em all -- and my pick goes to the last one. The art's only so-so, but it's a clever story with huge stakes. Strange is always at his best when he's outsmarting his opponent, as he did with Dormammu in their first fight (and again in the movie). His opponent this time is Loki the trickster, so he has to be extra clever.

I read Doomsday Clock #3 earlier in the week. While the art is terrific, the farther I get into the story the more I wonder what the point is. I mean, it's entertaining enough, but it's supposed to be an event of some sort, right? Doesn't feel like much of an event yet.

My book of the week so far is the new issue of Detective Comics -- the finale of Fall of the Batmen. The way it ends seems inevitable, but Tynan and Merino do a wonderful job with it. In the past year and a half, they've made Clayface one of my favorite characters in the Bat-Family -- and his relationship with Cass, whom he's helped to express herself by reciting Shakespeare with her, is incredibly touching. This one's more than a little heartbreaking. 

With this run, Tynan has grown into one of my favorite writers at DC. I honestly think he's surpassed Scott Snyder, his former teacher. I'm looking forward to The Immortal Men in the New Age of DC Heroes line because he'll be writing it; I know it'll be well-constructed and fun.

I've been remiss in my Detective reading, Rob -- you've motivated me to catch up!

I'm crazy about the book. Tynan has made me love all the Bat-characters I'd dismissed in the 90s and 2000s! 

Another short week. I'll go with Marvel Two-In-One #2.

Only read one so far this week, but I don't have to go any further: Astro City #50.

I haven't read any this week so far, but I'm giving the nod to a comic I bought on a whim: Flash Annual #1. It features the Wally Wesdt of the pre-Flashpoint DCU and leads into the next big storyline in the main title. Plus it has a pretty cool cover.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service