Every week, one item or another in my pull and hold stands out for me above the rest in one way or another. Sometimes it’s a periodical, sometimes a graphic novel, sometimes a collection. Does that happen to you? If so, let’s hear about it here. It can be an item you’ve long anticipated or something you bought on a whim. If it’s something you were really looking forward to but ended up being a big disappointment, let’s hear about that here, too. I’ve been meaning to start this topic for a long time now, but chose today to post about something I’ve been waiting for a long time, long before it was even solicited.

SILVER SURFER EPIC COLLECTION BY STEVE ENGLEHART AND MARSHAL ROGERS

This is a favorite run of mine, but I’ve read it only twice: once as it was released, and I re-read it once after that. It came out as an “ESSENTIAL” a few years ago, but for this I held out for color.

EDIT: Most weeks I make my picks before I have read them, but feel free to choose either the books you anticipate most before you read or enjoy the most after you have read them.

Views: 6156

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I enjoy the Loeb/Sale minis too.I'm trade-waiting, however.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Whenever it has shipped, Captain America: White has been my "Pick of the Week" and today is no exception. These Loeb/Sale "color" mini-series may not be in continuity, but you can always count on them being well-written, well-drawn, and above all entertaining.

Not having read any of my comics yet (as usual!), my early pick is Lois and Clark #3.

That's one of the few comics I've read so far, and it was definitely a good read. I'm really liking these two post-Convergence titles. It makes me wonder (just a little) if Telos is any good.

Well, I did read Lois and Clark #2-3 this morning, and I did enjoy them quite a bit. What gets to me so much is the level of detail and quality Lee Weeks brings to the page. I really hope he is considered an artist's artist, because he absolutely shows how it should be done, every time he draws a comic book.

That said, I have to change my pick of the week to Head Lopper #2. I love the inventive artwork and the storytelling is awesome. This is just a pure fun book that still carries real weight in the story.

I've got a lot of unread comics here, but I know nothing's going to top my Pick of the Week, The Fade Out #12.  Brubaker and Phillips bring the series to a close with a double-length issue that solves the main mystery, but definitely leaves me wanting more. For 2015, it's my book of the year.

This week I have to go with the first issue of the new Swamp Thing mini-series by Len Wein and Kelly Jones.

Hmm...probably Doctor Strange #4

I read that issue of Swamp Thing this morning. It reads just like an old Wein/Wrightson issue... a real throwback treat!

Archie #5 is also really good, bringing Reggie into the mix. And I still haven't gotten to Paper Girls, but I know I'll love it.

Sheriff of Babylon read like it was another strong issue, but I need to go back and reread issue 1 to ground myself more. It's a subtle book, and like King's Omega Men, doesn't spell everything out for you. I loved the part where the Iraqi cop inspected the knife wound, and the conversation afterward. A very good sequence, and probably better done in comics than any other medium.

I agree about Fade-Out. Especially since my theory didn't pan out! (And I guess I should have had faith in Brubaker that he'd surprise me.)

Archie #5 and Dr. Strange #4 still on my to-do list.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I've got a lot of unread comics here, but I know nothing's going to top my Pick of the Week, The Fade Out #12.  Brubaker and Phillips bring the series to a close with a double-length issue that solves the main mystery, but definitely leaves me wanting more. For 2015, it's my book of the year.

So who were you thinking did it? I was crossing my fingers it wasn't Dottie.

Injection #6

Without question, my “Pick of the Week” is Marvel Masterworks Sub-Mariner V7. I have been waiting for a collection of this run (issues #50-60) for a long time! This volume collects Bill Everett’s last work before he died and represents some of his best work ever in my opinion. I’ve been talking about this series here for years, and now it’s finally here. If you’ve never read any Bronze Age Sub-Mariner and would like to try some, this is the one to read. If you’ve never read any Bill Everett and think you might like to some his work, now’s your chance.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service