Every week, one item or another in my pull and hold stands out for me above the rest in one way or another. Sometimes it’s a periodical, sometimes a graphic novel, sometimes a collection. Does that happen to you? If so, let’s hear about it here. It can be an item you’ve long anticipated or something you bought on a whim. If it’s something you were really looking forward to but ended up being a big disappointment, let’s hear about that here, too. I’ve been meaning to start this topic for a long time now, but chose today to post about something I’ve been waiting for a long time, long before it was even solicited.

SILVER SURFER EPIC COLLECTION BY STEVE ENGLEHART AND MARSHAL ROGERS

This is a favorite run of mine, but I’ve read it only twice: once as it was released, and I re-read it once after that. It came out as an “ESSENTIAL” a few years ago, but for this I held out for color.

EDIT: Most weeks I make my picks before I have read them, but feel free to choose either the books you anticipate most before you read or enjoy the most after you have read them.

Views: 6167

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Man, I sat down in my easy chair last night with my stack of comics, but I was zonked out pretty quickly thereafter. I haven't read a thing, and my unread stack is getting bigger and bigger. Maybe I'll let you know in July what my pick of the week was from this week!

Despite numbering shenanigans (it's not so much #1 of a new series as it is #16 of the "old" series AFAIAC), my "Pck of the Week" is Silver Surfer #1 by Dan Slott and Mike Allred.

Them Neal Adams alternate covers shure were purty! Didn't buy none, though. There was a time I would've sprung fer an extry sixty cents for a cover I liked, but not four bucks, not no way, not no how. Not even if the cover did releate to the contents.

I hadn't realized the new Silver Surfer was out! I'm on the fence whether I get it on paper or wait until it shows up on Marvel Unlimited like the rest of my Marvel reading. I'll probably break down and buy it on paper, since it's more a continuation of a book I was already getting (as opposed to, say, Black Widow -- the exact same team I was buying on paper, but I can wait 6 months for issue 1).

As for my pick of the week, well... there's the end of the first arc of Paper Girls (which I've read, and it has another great cliffhanger at the end), and also Velvet #13, the newest chapter of The Man Who Stole the World. Pretty sure that's going to be fantastic, too.

I read Silver Surfer #1, and it was all right. I probably would have enjoyed it more had I read the previous series. I always like Allred, though.

This week: Badger #1, no question.

Two pretty cool collections shipped today, too: High Cost of Dying (Reed Crandal, EC) and Walt & Skeezix (Gasoline Alley) v6.

Injection #7.

My pick is the little-heralded The Kings Road #1, by Peter Hogan, Phil Winslade and Staz Johnson. It's a 48-page issue for $3.99, reprinting the three Hogan/Winslade Dark Horse Presents installments that intrigued me a few years ago, and continuing them with 24 all-new pages by Hogan and Johnson.  It's a 3-issue series, so it shouldn't be too hard on the wallet, and like I said, I'd been waiting for years. It's not as high up on my list as Hogan's wonderful Resident Alien with Steve Parkhouse, but it's still a treat from one of my favorite unheralded writers..

I'm interested if the double-issue is Dark Horse's new way of handling the DHP reprints; I know other series that have begun in the anthology have gotten 0 issues instead. I hope this way succeeds for them.

Randy, I hadn't even realized Injection was back until your post, so I wound up reading issues 6 and 7 together on the train into work this morning. A terrific double-feature! I've really warmed up to this book.

Yes. Vivek has easily become my favorite character of the team, but I also loved that issue 7 brought forth the idea that they are a team.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Randy, I hadn't even realized Injection was back until your post, so I wound up reading issues 6 and 7 together on the train into work this morning. A terrific double-feature! I've really warmed up to this book.

Badgerwas good. This is actually my first team reading his origin, despite being familiar with the series from way back.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

This week: Badger #1, no question.

This was a fairly big week for me, but nothing really stands out above the others. (How to choose between Rachel Rising and Stray Bullets for example?) All of my choices this week are A-listers AFAIAC. If I had to pick one thing, because the individual issues were generally "picks of the week" thw Wednesdays they shipped, I'm going to go with the collected edition of Captain America: White.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service