Every week, one item or another in my pull and hold stands out for me above the rest in one way or another. Sometimes it’s a periodical, sometimes a graphic novel, sometimes a collection. Does that happen to you? If so, let’s hear about it here. It can be an item you’ve long anticipated or something you bought on a whim. If it’s something you were really looking forward to but ended up being a big disappointment, let’s hear about that here, too. I’ve been meaning to start this topic for a long time now, but chose today to post about something I’ve been waiting for a long time, long before it was even solicited.

SILVER SURFER EPIC COLLECTION BY STEVE ENGLEHART AND MARSHAL ROGERS

This is a favorite run of mine, but I’ve read it only twice: once as it was released, and I re-read it once after that. It came out as an “ESSENTIAL” a few years ago, but for this I held out for color.

EDIT: Most weeks I make my picks before I have read them, but feel free to choose either the books you anticipate most before you read or enjoy the most after you have read them.

Views: 6316

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Injection was pretty good this week, but I'm going with Astro City.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Whenever a week has multiple potential “picks” (as this one does), I’ll usually go for a first issue if there is one, an unknown quantity. If I make my pick before I read it and it’s disappointing, it the only time that title will likely make the cut. That’s why this week my pick is Lost in Space #1.

NOTE: I don’t usually buy photo covers (and I didn’t this time, either), but that photo sure was sweet.

Ah, I think I finally have a handle on this thread now! I was thinking you were looking for "best of the week" so I was just kind of skimming and not really wanting to make a value judgement. Now I'm thinking you might be referring to what I call "top of the pile." The stuff I plan to read first, basically.

So, if that's the case, in recent months my "top of the pile" has most often been digital reissues from the early 80s. This week it was Legion of Superheroes 284 and Fury of Firestorm 6, both from 1982. And both, coincidentally, drawn by Pat Broderick.

Haven't gotten to the shop with my pull list yet, but it's probably safe to say my Pick of the Week will be Astro City for as long as the new Steeljack story is running!

And those are some awesome comics, 'Tec!

"Now I'm thinking you might be referring to what I call "top of the pile." The stuff I plan to read first, basically."

That's pretty much it. My "Picks of the Week" are always the ones I read first. If I make my choice before I've read them (which I usually do), my choices sometimes don't remain on top after I have read them.

I missed that! I thought you were wanting the book we enjoyed most -- which would, necessarily, mean reading everything from the week before making a call.

Picking what we plan to read first is much less time consuming!

I guess I didn't explain that very well.

I knew what I meant!

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

And those are some awesome comics, 'Tec!

I really like the way these older books look after being digitized. I don't know what the process is but it brings them back to life for me.

Naw, I probably just read what I expected to read, instead of what you wrote.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I guess I didn't explain that very well.

I knew what I meant!

I am enthusiastic about Mark Sullivan's "Stray Bullets" reading project (in the "Reviews" forum), so I am going to pick Stray Bullets: Sunshine & Roses #13 for this week.

I'm going to be a rebel and continue picking the books I enjoyed most this week. For me, the last page of Secret Six #12 was nice to see.

That was a welcome sight, Randy -- even in orange. And definitely one of my most-anticipated books, as well.

But another that I'm really excited to read is Kevin McCarthy & Kyle Baker's Circuit Breaker. It's been so long since I've read a new Kyle Baker comic, so I'm absolutely thrilled to get this one!

All-New, All-Different Marvel Universe: I'm going to go out on a limb here (because I haven't read it yet) and pick this universe-defining one-shot as my "Pick of the Week." this is the kind of thing I've been calling for, and I'd feel like a hypocrite if I didn't buy it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service