Every week, one item or another in my pull and hold stands out for me above the rest in one way or another. Sometimes it’s a periodical, sometimes a graphic novel, sometimes a collection. Does that happen to you? If so, let’s hear about it here. It can be an item you’ve long anticipated or something you bought on a whim. If it’s something you were really looking forward to but ended up being a big disappointment, let’s hear about that here, too. I’ve been meaning to start this topic for a long time now, but chose today to post about something I’ve been waiting for a long time, long before it was even solicited.

SILVER SURFER EPIC COLLECTION BY STEVE ENGLEHART AND MARSHAL ROGERS

This is a favorite run of mine, but I’ve read it only twice: once as it was released, and I re-read it once after that. It came out as an “ESSENTIAL” a few years ago, but for this I held out for color.

EDIT: Most weeks I make my picks before I have read them, but feel free to choose either the books you anticipate most before you read or enjoy the most after you have read them.

Views: 6394

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wasn't able to get to my LCS today (and maybe not even Saturday), so the stuff I picked up at the comic shop near work is stuff I'm buying that's not on my pull list. But of that foursome -- Harley Quinn, Super Zero, Silver Surfer and Titans Hunt, I was most excited to read Titans Hunt, and dove right in during lunch. The original Titans (mostly) are getting their memories back, and discovering hints of an old case. This book is teasing us with old continuity (and maybe a restoration of some of it?), and I'm really enjoying the experience.

I think the book was originally intended to be 12 issues, but like Lois and Clark, it's been downgraded to 8. Probably to keep it inline with Rebirth, whatever that may be.

Lots of good books this week, but I have to go with Astro City #32.

I’m going to go out on a limb today and pick Neal Adam’s Superman: The Coming of the Supermen #1, sight unseen, for today.

It's a new Steeljack story! My favorite Astro City character... and I had no idea! I was ***THRILLED*** when I saw it.

Randy Jackson said:

Then (SOB!) you clearly don't read the Guide!

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

It's a new Steeljack story! My favorite Astro City character... and I had no idea! I was ***THRILLED*** when I saw it.

Randy Jackson said:

Actually, I do! I think it's just that I've got a lousy memory sometimes. It's been a really busy couple of weeks.

My pick of this week is a surprising one: Last Gang In Town #3.  It's a book that launched to little fanfare in the wave of new Vertigo titles at the end of last year. I hadn't intended to pick it up, but a few weeks after it was released I flipped through it at the shop, and saw the art for the first time -- and was immediately sold. Written by Simon Oliver with art by Rufus Dayglo, it's the closest a Vertigo book has ever looked to Mad magazine, complete with silly little notes in the margins. It's the story of an all-girl punk band being trained to be master criminals in 1977 (though it jumps to other times too, 1964 and 2018 in this issue), and it's an absolute blast. Give it a look -- this ain't your momma's Vertigo.

A number of good books this week, but nothing really jumped out at me. Unbeatable Squirrel Girl will be my choice, but I can't say I thought it was head and shoulders above the rest.

Swamp Thing #3. Len Wein and Kelley Jones are the perfect creative team for this title.

The third issue of Garth Ennis and Simon Coleby's Dreaming Eagles came out today, and I realized I haven;t talked this excellent book up here yet. So I do, over in the 2016: My Favorite Things thread. 

Those of you seeing Ennis's name and cringing, thinking of the brash crassness of Preacher or his Punisher run -- as much as I personally love that, there's none of that here. This is straightforward, from-the-heart storytelling about black fighter pilots in World War II. Great stuff, and a real sleeper favorite for me.

I really struggled this week to avoid a tie. There were two comics I found myself looking forward to equally. I decided to wait until I read them both, then pick the one I liked better. I thought the one I chose to read first might have the edge, but I ended up enjoying the both equally.

TIE: Infinity Entity #1 (Warlock by Jim Starlin and Alan Davis), and Star Trek #55 (part one of “Legacy of Spock”, featuring TOS Spock in the reboot universe).

Whenever a week has multiple potential “picks” (as this one does), I’ll usually go for a first issue if there is one, an unknown quantity. If I make my pick before I read it and it’s disappointing, it the only time that title will likely make the cut. That’s why this week my pick is Lost in Space #1.

NOTE: I don’t usually buy photo covers (and I didn’t this time, either), but that photo sure was sweet.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service