Every week, one item or another in my pull and hold stands out for me above the rest in one way or another. Sometimes it’s a periodical, sometimes a graphic novel, sometimes a collection. Does that happen to you? If so, let’s hear about it here. It can be an item you’ve long anticipated or something you bought on a whim. If it’s something you were really looking forward to but ended up being a big disappointment, let’s hear about that here, too. I’ve been meaning to start this topic for a long time now, but chose today to post about something I’ve been waiting for a long time, long before it was even solicited.

SILVER SURFER EPIC COLLECTION BY STEVE ENGLEHART AND MARSHAL ROGERS

This is a favorite run of mine, but I’ve read it only twice: once as it was released, and I re-read it once after that. It came out as an “ESSENTIAL” a few years ago, but for this I held out for color.

EDIT: Most weeks I make my picks before I have read them, but feel free to choose either the books you anticipate most before you read or enjoy the most after you have read them.

Views: 3423

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

100% agree, It was also nice to see more of the Bouncing Beatnik.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

My pick of the week is Astro City 43, which largely concerns The Gentleman, a Fred MacMurray/Captain Marvel type in a tux who's made appearances in numerous Astro City stories, but has never gotten the spotlight before. His origin is really clever and poignant, and not something I want to give away here. But  while this issue ties in to the greater Broken Man story, it's also pretty much a done-in-one, so (like any issue of Astro City) it's well worth picking up. 

I just finished reading Astro City #43. It was up to the high standards of the book. Now we know about The Gentleman. Happy as I always am with this series.

Secret Warriors #1

I think they're on to something with this one. Secret Empire is the impetus for the formation of this team. But the fun is in the character interactions as this sort of random collection of heroes comes together.

I read the preview of this series - I agree the seemingly unconnected collection of heroes seemed to strangely work....reminded me of the Original Champions in a way.

Detective 445 said:

Secret Warriors #1

I think they're on to something with this one. Secret Empire is the impetus for the formation of this team. But the fun is in the character interactions as this sort of random collection of heroes comes together.

Lots of good stuff shipped yesterday, but I'll give the nod to the only one I've read so far: Bug.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Lots of good stuff shipped yesterday, but I'll give the nod to the only one I've read so far: Bug.

I liked that one too. Allred doing his stream of consciousness Kirby riff can be fun. I especially enjoyed his take on the 70s era Sandman.

Bug was just a joy. That's my pick too.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service