Every week, one item or another in my pull and hold stands out for me above the rest in one way or another. Sometimes it’s a periodical, sometimes a graphic novel, sometimes a collection. Does that happen to you? If so, let’s hear about it here. It can be an item you’ve long anticipated or something you bought on a whim. If it’s something you were really looking forward to but ended up being a big disappointment, let’s hear about that here, too. I’ve been meaning to start this topic for a long time now, but chose today to post about something I’ve been waiting for a long time, long before it was even solicited.

SILVER SURFER EPIC COLLECTION BY STEVE ENGLEHART AND MARSHAL ROGERS

This is a favorite run of mine, but I’ve read it only twice: once as it was released, and I re-read it once after that. It came out as an “ESSENTIAL” a few years ago, but for this I held out for color.

EDIT: Most weeks I make my picks before I have read them, but feel free to choose either the books you anticipate most before you read or enjoy the most after you have read them.

Views: 3732

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Have you read Sheriff of Babylon yet? (Or is it Sheriff of Baghdad? I cannot remember which one it started out as and which one it ended up being...) If not, you have more required--and excellent--reading ahead of you.

Detective 445 said:

I'll second Mister Miracle. After coming late to the party with Omega Men and Vision, there's no way I'm missing an issue.

Okay, I just read Mister Miracle #1. This is officially my pick now for sure. Tom King continues to channel his "Giffen's 5 Years Later Legion" voice here. Up until the past couple years (Vision, Sheriff, Omega Men), I didn't realize just how much I missed that kind of storytelling.

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

Have you read Sheriff of Babylon yet? (Or is it Sheriff of Baghdad? I cannot remember which one it started out as and which one it ended up being...) If not, you have more required--and excellent--reading ahead of you.

Detective 445 said:

I'll second Mister Miracle. After coming late to the party with Omega Men and Vision, there's no way I'm missing an issue.

Thanks Sensei! I'll look for it.

Oh, man -- that's a great comparison!

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

Okay, I just read Mister Miracle #1. This is officially my pick now for sure. Tom King continues to channel his "Giffen's 5 Years Later Legion" voice here. Up until the past couple years (Vision, Sheriff, Omega Men), I didn't realize just how much I missed that kind of storytelling.

I find that it scratches the exact same itch. Probably the "voice-overs" and the nine-panel grid that does most of it. Plus, the fact that Tom King doesn't spoon-feed you, and the reader has to do some of the work to put the story together.

I would be really amazed to hear if Tom King doesn't attribute those Giffen issues as inspiration.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Oh, man -- that's a great comparison!

Come to think of it, I think I did feel that way about Omega Men (where with the setting, the comparison is probably strongest). It didn't stand out that way to me for the Vision (which I just read this week) until you mentioned it. 

It's also pretty apparent in Sheriff of Babylon once you realize it.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Come to think of it, I think I did feel that way about Omega Men (where with the setting, the comparison is probably strongest). It didn't stand out that way to me for the Vision (which I just read this week) until you mentioned it. 

I didn't see Mister Miracle at my LCS yesterday, nor is it on their online list of "This Week's Books."

It will probably ship (to my shop) next week.

BTW, I was wrong about Kill or Be Killed #11. It's the start of the new arc, not the end of the last one, and it's fantastic.*

*Okay, that last part I guess I expected. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service