Every week, one item or another in my pull and hold stands out for me above the rest in one way or another. Sometimes it’s a periodical, sometimes a graphic novel, sometimes a collection. Does that happen to you? If so, let’s hear about it here. It can be an item you’ve long anticipated or something you bought on a whim. If it’s something you were really looking forward to but ended up being a big disappointment, let’s hear about that here, too. I’ve been meaning to start this topic for a long time now, but chose today to post about something I’ve been waiting for a long time, long before it was even solicited.

SILVER SURFER EPIC COLLECTION BY STEVE ENGLEHART AND MARSHAL ROGERS

This is a favorite run of mine, but I’ve read it only twice: once as it was released, and I re-read it once after that. It came out as an “ESSENTIAL” a few years ago, but for this I held out for color.

EDIT: Most weeks I make my picks before I have read them, but feel free to choose either the books you anticipate most before you read or enjoy the most after you have read them.

Views: 4193

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's very, very difficult for me to decide this week. I bought only four comic books today (fewer than usual), but any one of them could potentially be a candidate. (Captain America #695, Deadman #1, Paper Girls 317, and Stray Bullets #29.) I'm going to go out on a limb and choose Captain America #695 before I have read any of them. If my choice changes (or even if it doesn't), I'll let you know here tomorrow.

I have to agree with you. Waid does a great job of reminding us just who Captain America is.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

It's very, very difficult for me to decide this week. I bought only four comic books today (fewer than usual), but any one of them could potentially be a candidate. (Captain America #695, Deadman #1, Paper Girls 317, and Stray Bullets #29.) I'm going to go out on a limb and choose Captain America #695 before I have read any of them. If my choice changes (or even if it doesn't), I'll let you know here tomorrow.

After having read all four I bought yesterday, my choice remains Captain America #695.

This is the Captain America series I have been waiting for for… how long has it been now? The last two series for sure (the “Dimension Z” one and the recently completed “Captain Hydra” one). If anyone reading this post is like me and yearns for the day when super-heroes were actually heroic, you’d better be reading this series… especially if you’ve been complaining about morally grey heroes with feet of clay (and, yes, I’m looking at you, Mark Ogilvie). Mark Waid also wrote an editorial for this issue explaining his approach to the character and series.

Man, I haven't read it yet, but look at the cover to Mister Miracle #4!

Mister Miracle 4 is a continuation of the heartbreak and shattering depression of this series. I love it. 

I don't think I suffer from depression. The spiders in my head never quite get that bad. But when I read books that address it head on, as this one does...and I remember Seekers Into the Mystery seemed to--I see a a handful of similarities with my life that I'm never entirely comfortable with. 

This week's Batman is a lot of fun: Basically an ongoing swordfight and conversation between Selina and Talia about the merits of marrying Bruce. And meanwhile, Dick and Damian talk about him, too (with Dick really teasing Damian something fierce). The art on this arc is by Janelle Jones, and I really like it; her work reminds me a lot of Yanick Pacquette's.

Sadly this was a pretty "bleah" week in my opinion. I guess I'd give it to Super Sons by default.

Let me amend that: Thor vs. Hulk: Champion of the Universe wrapped up very nicely this week. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service