Every week, one item or another in my pull and hold stands out for me above the rest in one way or another. Sometimes it’s a periodical, sometimes a graphic novel, sometimes a collection. Does that happen to you? If so, let’s hear about it here. It can be an item you’ve long anticipated or something you bought on a whim. If it’s something you were really looking forward to but ended up being a big disappointment, let’s hear about that here, too. I’ve been meaning to start this topic for a long time now, but chose today to post about something I’ve been waiting for a long time, long before it was even solicited.

SILVER SURFER EPIC COLLECTION BY STEVE ENGLEHART AND MARSHAL ROGERS

This is a favorite run of mine, but I’ve read it only twice: once as it was released, and I re-read it once after that. It came out as an “ESSENTIAL” a few years ago, but for this I held out for color.

EDIT: Most weeks I make my picks before I have read them, but feel free to choose either the books you anticipate most before you read or enjoy the most after you have read them.

Views: 6374

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not knowing the contents of that trade, I would assume it would have both Alpha and Omega and, at the very least, the issue of Captain America that...uh, no spoilers...let's just say would be pivotal to this story. All of those were written by Nick Spencer. I normally don't like "wordy" comics, but these are certainly more wordy than the norm. Still, Spencer writes them in a way that really flows, and it isn't expository.

The Standoff checklist has about 16 comics on it including the Alpha and Omega bookends plus various issues of Avengers, SHIELD, Captain America and an issue of Illuminati. I'm guessing these will all be collected in the same TPB.  So that would make it maybe around 350-400 pages.

That's a really fun book! I haven't read the latest yet, but I'm sure it's another winner.

Randy Jackson said:

As excited as I am about this week's Injection, the comic I'm most looking forward to this week is Super Zero #5.

Looking forward to reading:

4001 AD #1

Empress #2

Whoa! There's a new Beasts of Burden one-shot out today, What the Cat Dragged In. There's no way that's anything other than my pick of the week!

New Avengers 11

Mine this week is easily Renato Jones: The One Percent from Image. It's by Kaare Andrews, and it looks amazing.

I enjoyed Beasts of Burden, as I said in my Guide.

I think I'll give it to Thunderbolts #1 this week (by virtue of it being a first issue), although frankly, I enjoyed Captain America: Sam Wilson a bit more. Can hardly wait for the new Captain America: Steve Rogers #1!

MAY 11: Adventures of Supergirl #1 (kind of by default)

MAY 18: Future Quest #1 (hands down, no question)

[Hmm... that's #1s or one-shots six weeks in a row for me.]

Future Quest is already getting a lot of love, so I'll say William Gibson's Archangel -- a book I hadn't even known was coming out until yesterday. With art by Butch Guice, it's about characters from a radiation-poisoned 2016 going back in time to WWII to change the past -- and create a splinter timeline that they can colonize and conquer. (And, of course, other time travelers going back to stop them.) It's really neat stuff, with a lot of process material from Gibson and Guice in the package... although the price tag is a steep $4.99, something I hope goes down for the four subsequent issues. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service