Every week, one item or another in my pull and hold stands out for me above the rest in one way or another. Sometimes it’s a periodical, sometimes a graphic novel, sometimes a collection. Does that happen to you? If so, let’s hear about it here. It can be an item you’ve long anticipated or something you bought on a whim. If it’s something you were really looking forward to but ended up being a big disappointment, let’s hear about that here, too. I’ve been meaning to start this topic for a long time now, but chose today to post about something I’ve been waiting for a long time, long before it was even solicited.

SILVER SURFER EPIC COLLECTION BY STEVE ENGLEHART AND MARSHAL ROGERS

This is a favorite run of mine, but I’ve read it only twice: once as it was released, and I re-read it once after that. It came out as an “ESSENTIAL” a few years ago, but for this I held out for color.

EDIT: Most weeks I make my picks before I have read them, but feel free to choose either the books you anticipate most before you read or enjoy the most after you have read them.

Views: 5559

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah... nothing's beat it for me, either. Though I still haven't read Batman: Creature of the Night. 

I got a couple pages in, but realized quickly that I wasn't going to have time to get through it.

As for the Annual, I love that Tom King and Lee Weeks's Porky's Bar is a real thing in the DCU (or the DC Multiverse, at least). That's probably the most insignificant part of what made this issue so awesome, but it's definitely worth a mention.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Yeah... nothing's beat it for me, either. Though I still haven't read Batman: Creature of the Night. 

I've been trying to catch up on the recommendations here. And looks what I found in Bug #2!

ACTION COMICS #993: Just prior to DC launching "The Nu52" I had been catching up on backissues and tpbs of Booster Gold. I was really enjoying them, but the relaunch put the kibosh on it. Although Action #993 carries on from that "Mt. Oz" story (which I didn't really care for), it will be my jumping on point for the ramp-up to #1000.

I could probably pencil in Mister Miracle for every week that it comes out going forward. Last week's issue was no exception. Really great book. 

I haven't even read this week's issue yet, but I can assure you, it would be in the top two easily.

Detective 445 said:

I could probably pencil in Mister Miracle for every week that it comes out going forward. Last week's issue was no exception. Really great book. 

X-MEN: GRAND DESIGN: My pick this week is X-Men: Grand Design by alternative artist Ed Piskor. If you haven't heard of this project, Piskor has taken every issue of the X-Men, every flashback, every ret-con, and placed them into chronological order as if they were planned like that from the beginning. It relies on continuity, but it doesn't strictly adhere to continuity; it embellishes along the way. The art style isn't traditional super-hero, but it fits the tone of the series. The paper is made to look slightly yellowed. The artwork frequently uses blinding, bright white as a counterpoint to the otherwise drab colors, an effective technique.

I like the X-Men but I haven't regularly read them for a long, long time. I'm really excited about this series.

I'm going with Batman #37, featuring a double date with Superman and Lois, and Batman and Catwoman. A story 80 years in the making!

Nothing really jumped out at me this week, so I'm going with Marvel Two-In-One #1.

Oddly enough, out of what I bought this week, I have to go with Redlands #5. I find myself constantly intrigued by this series. And the fact that this is a week where Metal, an Adam Hughes-drawn Hellboy Christmas issue, Lazaretto, Batman, Doctor Radar, Head Lopper, and Sherlock Frankenstein came out, that's saying something about Redlands!

STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS #19 – “The Hunger”

The Enterprise and crew encounter a planet which had been attacked by… Galactus?

Spock relates the “Lee-Kurtzberg theory on the origins of life”: “Two centuries ago they postulated an as yet undiscovered form of energy which makes it possible for planets to support life. The idea is largely discounted by serious planetary scientists.” Mr. Scott adds: “The notion of a ‘special energy’ that makesd life possible [is] my best definition of hoo-doo.” Yet, among Star Trek’s best episodes are those which flout the laws of known science. And this planet certainly looks as if it had been drained of its “life force.” What will happen when the Enterprise catches up to the entity responsible for this destruction?

I can’t believe I forgot to post this to the “What Comics Have You Read Today?” discussion.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS #19 – “The Hunger”

The Enterprise and crew encounter a planet which had been attacked by… Galactus?

Spock relates the “Lee-Kurtzberg theory on the origins of life”: “Two centuries ago they postulated an as yet undiscovered form of energy which makes it possible for planets to support life. The idea is largely discounted by serious planetary scientists.” Mr. Scott adds: “The notion of a ‘special energy’ that makesd life possible [is] my best definition of hoo-doo.” Yet, among Star Trek’s best episodes are those which flout the laws of known science. And this planet certainly looks as if it had been drained of its “life force.” What will happen when the Enterprise catches up to the entity responsible for this destruction?

I can’t believe I forgot to post this to the “What Comics Have You Read Today?” discussion.

I haven't been reading this since the early issues but when I saw the title, "The Hunger," I wondered if Byrne might be referencing his Darkseid Galactus crossover from many years ago.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service