Power Girl

Anyone else really digging this? As much as the first arc made me scratch my head, this one is really cool. I'm digging the relationship between PG and Terra a lot, and Amanda Conner's art seems just perfect for this series--sexy, but not pandering. Really, good stuff.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yeah, this is a title that deserves about double the sales it's getting.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! It's a pretty lame website, but I did it myself, so tough noogies

Listen to WOXY.com, it's the future of rock-n-roll!

• Dagwan Johnson is right! This has been a great read so far.

My son saw me reading the latest issue, and had never really seen PG before. He asked me, "What's the deal with the big hole in her shirt?" I said "Umm..." a few times before he gave up on me. :D
  • Notwithstanding that they feel the need to continue the obvious joke about her breasts (honest to God, would someone please tell DC that teenage jokes stop being funny when the JOKES are in their teens?), this is a solid series in the SAF opinion. Good stories (not great*), good art (not great*), and a read I look forward to every month.

It makes me think of the Superman titles in the 70s. They're more than just individual comics published monthly with the same character, with no character development or plot progress; but they're not dreary episodic "read every book every month or you'll miss too much!" 80s titles (and some of which, in Superman's case, DID devolve back to monthly non-serial comics with not much to do with storylines at all.)

And for the most part, I find the art eminently acceptable - in a Curt Swan or Jack Kirby way. Everything I see on the page looks as if A) it was drawn to be recognized, and B) belongs there, and C) if it is supposed to look alien, looks recognizable in an alien way.

Power Girl doesn't go to the top of my pile every month, but it will make it into that pile, and it will not be the bottom book. I recommend it; try the TPB, as it's about due for that in another three months or so. It gets the SAF seal of approval.

I remain,
    Sincerely,
    Eric L. Sofer
    The Silver Age Fogey
    x<]:o){

* By "not great", I mean that it's not Alan Moore or Frank Miller, or George Perez or Neal Adams. So no, it's not great - but then, these days, what is?
  • I've really enjoyed Power Girl so far. It has a Bronze Age feel with modern art and a just a dash of humor that makes us all feel we're not seeing a rehash of 30 year old stories.
This reply was deleted.