Views: 170

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The highlight for me of the latest Preacher was Mark Harelik playing himself. I didn't realize that was him the first time he appeared as the God-impersonator. I have seen him in many screen roles since then.

Mark is a very good character actor that I first saw years ago on stage in Central California. He was playing McMurphy and the late great John Hancock was playing The Chief in the stage version of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. If you ever get to see the stage version of what later became the Jack Nicholson movie you will be glad you did. It's significantly different and, I think, better. A few years ago there was another production of the stage version in the L.A. area and I took my wife. She was similarly impressed with the stage version and tells people how good it is.

Mark Harelik on IMDB

I never read the comic, but I am watching the show. 

It has my interest and will be following it till the end. 

I'm grateful for this as  place for conversation about it. 

Brace yourself, Pa -- it's going to get sacrilegious.

I mean, moreso.

But the bottom line is always going to be Preacher wanting some answers from God. I think most of us have gone through that thought process.

So, "Dallas." Jesse is a butthole. He nearly kills a guy, nearly tortures him to death, because he married Tulip. He beat up a stoner, a kind friend, because he was mad at Tulip (back in Dallas).

And Tulip is no prize. While pretending to be a real estate broker, she was assassinating people for money. Not nice. And she lied to Jesse about it. She was also taking birth control when Jesse thought they were trying to make a baby, and lied about that.

Oh, and Cassidy? He tried to egg Jesse on in the murder of Tulip's husband, knowing that would drive the two apart forever, so that he could move in on Tulip. Some best friend.

Good! That was one of the things that was off-putting to me about the Preacher comic book series, is that the good guys weren't at all good -- in fact, they were occasionally so awful I wanted to kill them myself. The only thing that makes them the heroes is that everyone else is worse.

So the TV show is being true to the spirit of the comics. And now we can all be disgusted together!

Yep, that's Preacher: attractive and disgusting at the same time. It's impressive that the TV adaptation is just as morally ambiguous as the comic was.

Here's the SDCC trailer. Starring Herr Starr!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service