Pussycat Page!

An eBay auctioner has posted a page from the legendary Pussycat #1 from Marvel!

I've never actually seen this comic, but I've heard of it many times. It compiled a number of risque strips that had run in Martin Goodman's stag magazines and was published in 1968. Artists include Bill Everett, Wally Wood, Al Hartley, Jim Mooney and Bill Ward. I mean, how can you NOT want to see that comic?

This page is by Ward from a five-page story. For a full rundown of the issue, here's the GCD listing:

http://www.comics.org/issue/203763/.

And if you've got an extra couple of grand sitting around and want to own a Ward original, get in the bidding here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140541137183&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123 

I'm not sure what format would work to reprint this, but I really think it needs to be--if only to show just how wacky Marvel could be in 1968!

-- MSA

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I mean, how can you NOT want to see that comic?

I honestly don't know.

As long as I'm being "honest," I must admit I've never heard of The Adventures of Pussycat, but now that I have, I want!
  • ...if only to show just how wacky Marvel could be in 1968!

Was Pussycat actually a Marvel comic book, though? Sounds more like it came from another branch of Goodman's publishing operations. There's certainly no indication on the front cover that it was a Marvel product.

• I have to agree with Dave that while it may have been produced by Goodman's publishing company, it's never officially proclaimed a Marvel comic.

With that said, I agree with Mr. Silver Age and would love to see a reprint collection myself.

But if it ever comes to pass, watch whoever does it make it a hardcover out of my price range. 

• it's never officially proclaimed a Marvel comic.

I'm not sure what form that proclamation would have to take. Given that none of us seem to have a copy in hand, I'd go with what the GCD page reports on the link I provided: 

Volume: 1 Price: 0.35 USD Pages: 52 Editing: Chip Goodman (editorial director) Indicia Publisher: Marvel Comics, Inc.  Format: black and white magazine.

I would guess that, were it to be done, it would be reprinted as a hardcover, to try to get as much margin out of it as possible. Even though most people haven't heard of it, that lineup of artists would attract a lot of people who otherwise don't buy SA reprints.

I don't know if they might be able to combine it with anything else to create a bigger reprint, as one 52-page comic would be a thin volume. But I'm really curious to see some of the other stories in it now that my curiosity has been whetted. I might even be willing to spring for it as a hardcover.

I'd especially like to know if issue #2 was ever prepared and if the photostats are sitting around!

-- MSA

• Mister SA:

I thought you wrote an article, or at least commented somewhere on line, in the past that stated the title character appeared elsewhere too before/after the magazine was published.

Am I right or wrong?

• Dave Blanchard said:

Was Pussycat actually a Marvel comic book, though? Sounds more like it came from another branch of Goodman's publishing operations. There's certainly no indication on the front cover that it was a Marvel product.

Pussycat, why won't you show us your long-form Indicia? What are you trying to hide?

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! Comics and Games for Everyone!

I used to listen to WOXY.com; It was the future of rock-n-roll! RIP WOXY

• I thought you wrote an article, or at least commented somewhere on line, in the past that stated the title character appeared elsewhere too before/after the magazine was published.

1936044908?profile=RESIZE_320x320I don't think I did, but it's possible I mentioned it somewhere--Pussycat was a compilation of strips that previously had run in Goodman's stag magazines. The GCD listing shows the titles where they appeared.

So she certainly had appeared before, and this was essentially a reprint, albeit a collection of what has to be the finest portions of those magazines.

It's possible I talked about, but I've never even seen the issue at a comics con, so it couldn't have been much of a mention.

You may also be confusing it with something I said about the inestimable Miss Bikini Luv, who starred in Charlton's six-issue Go-Go comic.

That first issue was reprinted about 10 years ago by the guys who own the rights to Charlton issues as a b&w comic, which I do have. Somehow, I don't think it's the same. 

Go-Go is another fine reprint that is scandalously missing from the shelves, given how many others are out there. I recently promoted the notion of reprinting it, given that six issues would make a nice TPB, at least.

And since it features Jim Aparo's first comics work, there'd even be a historic reason for it beyond the sheer goofiness of having published something like this in the first place.

There aren't that many Charlton comics that I really need a collection of, but this would be one.

-- MSA

• Aparo's first comics work? You learn something new everyday. ;)

I've never heard of this either. Looks hilarious. I would read a reprint collection of it (although only when the wife wasn't around) :)

• I stand corrected -- Mr. Age is right; according to the long-form indicia, PUSSYCAT was indeed published by Marvel Comics. How do I know that? Well, because the whole issue (sans ads) has been posted here:

http://hairygreeneyeball2.blogspot.com/2011/01/pussycat-number-one-...

Gosh, I love the web!

• I stand corrected -- Mr. Age is right;

You should put that in a macro and save yourself some keystrokes.

Although I do have to correct one thing I said--in confirming that Aparo is indeed in Go-Go #6, which allegedly is his first comics work, I realized that the title had NINE issues. Easily enough for a TPB! Let's get cracking.

That upload is pretty astonishing. Not only did someone have that issue, but they scanned every page, which can't have been good for its condition. It's not the same as having the pages in hand, though, at least for this digital-averse comics reader. So I'd still buy a collection.

And, needless to say, it's an illegal upload. One click and you could be going to copyright jail, if not hell. Fair warning.

One of the comments says that Jim Mooney did enough additional strips that they could have printed an issue #2 with just his finished stuff. He may not have been alone in that. Sadly, I imagine that work is lost to the ages now, but if it exists, I think a great collection is a definite possibility, probably shortly after that Showcase Presents: Prince Ra-Man.

-- MSA

This reply was deleted.