Story

Song

Views: 375

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

KSwolf said:

Griffith also had a nice late-career role in "Waitress," an indie film from 2007. It showed his chops as a character actor.

I loved him in that movie.  It was such I nice surprise to see him again, after not having seen him in anything in years.

Yeah, that sounds like it could be a good one to check out. From what I've heard, Griffith could play heels quite well when he got the chance.

Looking through his filmography, he seems to have spent much of the late seventies and early eighties playing criminals and slimeballs in made-for-tv movies -- apparently making a deliberate attempt to get away from his folksy, charming Andy Taylor persona.  It's too bad he never got the chance to play more of those roles in higher-profile feature films.

Yeah ... once you've built up a long career like he did, you can afford to go against type. I remember Andy Griffith as the villain in Rustler's Rhapsody, a comedy that had an intriguiging premise -- take a 1930s Tex Ritter/Gene Autry/Roy Rogers singing cowboy, and plant him in a 1970s spaghetti Western.

For those who wish to see A Face in the Crowd, Turner Classic Movies is showing it tomorrow night, or early Friday morning, at 1:45 am EDT. They will run it again on 18 July at 8:00 pm EDT, followed by No Time for Sergeants, Hearts of the West, and Onionhead

I swore I had posted another  post in this thread. Anyways here it is again.

I was sorry to hear this. I grew up watching Andy Griffith show, in reruns of course. While Andy Taylor was well meaning and folksy nice guy but underneath you could tell he was a tough guy. He just chose to solve his problems without resorting to throwing punches.

A former brother-in-law spent some time in the Shelby County Jail in Memphis, which is often called a divided city and not without reason. He said that, in the jail, during most of the day, some guys would watch one show, others would watch another, but, when The Andy Griffith Show came on, everyone in there came together and watched it.

And I will probably tear up when I see those same tributes. :)

George Poague said:

I'm not looking forward to the gushy, sentimental tributes to Mayberry we'll be getting over the next few days, written by political columnists who know nothing of Griffith's range as an actor.

The Me TV channel had a Griffith tribute this afternoon, which included some guest appearances he made on other television shows.  I didn't see all of them but I enjoyed his role on an episode of Hawaii-Five-O as a small time con man.  Their was also an appearance by him in an episode of Gomer Pyle, USMC where Opie runs away from home to join Gomer in the Marines.  Naturally, Andy comes to bring him home and although he's playing Andy Taylor, he's wearing a suit and giving off no folksy charm--he's extremely angry about Opie's conduct.  

The best, though, was probably the pilot for The Andy Griffith Show, which was actually an episode of The Danny Thomas Show.  Danny makes the mistake of running a stop sign in Mayberry, then compounds his error by denouncing Andy as a hayseed.  Danny threatens to expose Andy as a corrupt yokel on national television but succeeds only in making himself look like a prima donna and jerk.  It was great to see someone else as straight man (Thomas) and Andy as the one getting the laughs as a guy that's a lot smarter than Thomas' character thinks he is.

Yeah, he had a lot of range as an actor and he will be missed.  Rest in peace, Andy.

Sadly, not everyone is sharing this sentiment. I suppose there always has to be at least one in every crowd.

http://pop-ed.celebedge.ca/2012/07/andy-griffith-actor-singer-iconc...

George Poague said:

I'm not looking forward to the gushy, sentimental tributes to Mayberry we'll be getting over the next few days, written by political columnists who know nothing of Griffith's range as an actor.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service