Replies

• Truly shocking news. He would have only been 43 this coming November.

• Stunned. I have no words. 

OK, "Huge, huge loss" springs to mind. Leaves an enormous void. My God, the movies he made while in chemo, undergoing surgeries, etc. My brain is barely able to scrape all this into a whole. 

Huge loss of a huge talent. 

• What a tragedy and what a loss of someone who made such an impact all over the world.

• ...I'm sorry, sympathies to his family and friends, etc. - But was his colon cancer, at least the extent of it, kept secret not only from his fans but the industry as well? I think press said he had been treated for the last four years - U guess he would have been cast as T'Challa before that?

I don't follow the MCU theatrically - When Black Panther was out, I recall thinking of seeing it, standing outside the " big " theater here in Santa Cruz, but I didn't. Either IRON MAN III or AVENGERS I are the last MCUs I saw theatrically. I fell behind, I guess you could say.

I've been in the hospital a lot, and I have, ironically, seen a couple MCUs on in-room movie systems in hospitals, not cable as such I think ' I watched Black Panther there but fell asleep.

(Spoiler) Black Panther was not killed off in AVENGERS IV as I believe Iron Man, Black Widow, and Cap/Steve were, was he? Was a sequel spoken of for Panther? Surely Moore would have been, from the very beginning, optioned for sequels?

Bluntly, if Moore's cancer had been known, could he have gotten coverage - I believe that's the phrase for insurance - for roles, especially for the physical and sequel-worthy T'Challa role?

• It is a shocker. He was so vibrant in Black Panther. Amazing that he was able to do that while in such precarious health.

• There were some pictures that came up in April that showed Chadwick Boseman looking gaunt, but he didn't explain it publicly. From Cosmic News: "CHADWICK BOSEMAN DROPS TON OF WEIGHT; WORRIES FANS"

The article above includes his last Instagram Live post, made on April 15, Jackie Robinson Day. Boseman spoke on behalf of Operation 42, an outfit that donated $4.2 million worth of personal protective equipment to hospitals that serve Black communities during the COVID-19 pandemic. 

People were left to assume what they wanted, that maybe he was doing the method actor thing, dropping weight for a role. From what we know now, It looks like he had a huge setback in his health; the Daily Mail said he looked okay in February.

It's stunning the body of work he accomplished with Stage 3 colon cancer. As pointed out elsewhere, since 2016 he's been in Gods of Egypt, Captain America: Civil War, Message from the King, Marshall, Black Panther, Avengers: Infinity War, Avengers: Endgame, 21 Bridges, Da 5 Bloods, with Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, What If ...? and Yasuke still on tap.

My jab dropped when I saw the 11 o'clock news last night and that was the lead story. My mind is still trying to get around it. This hurts. 

• Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...I'm sorry, sympathies to his family and friends, etc. - But was his colon cancer, at least the extent of it, kept secret not only from his fans but the industry as well? I think press said he had been treated for the last four years - U guess he would have been cast as T'Challa before that?

I don't follow the MCU theatrically - When Black Panther was out, I recall thinking of seeing it, standing outside the " big " theater here in Santa Cruz, but I didn't. Either IRON MAN III or AVENGERS I are the last MCUs I saw theatrically. I fell behind, I guess you could say.

I've been in the hospital a lot, and I have, ironically, seen a couple MCUs on in-room movie systems in hospitals, not cable as such I think ' I watched Black Panther there but fell asleep.

(Spoiler) Black Panther was not killed off in AVENGERS IV as I believe Iron Man, Black Widow, and Cap/Steve were, was he? Was a sequel spoken of for Panther? Surely Moore would have been, from the very beginning, optioned for sequels?

Bluntly, if Moore's cancer had been known, could he have gotten coverage - I believe that's the phrase for insurance - for roles, especially for the physical and sequel-worthy T'Challa role?

There is a sequel to Black Panther on Marvel's roster; The Hollywood Reporter said last year it was to be released May 6, 2022, although it is just in the development stage.

How did Chadwick Boseman pull off all the work he did with a fatal, debilitating disease? Did he keep the studios in the dark? Did the studios pull the wool over the insurance companies' eyes? Beats me.

Jerry Orbach had prostate cancer for 10 years while working on Law & Order, but kept it quiet. Even producer Dick Wolf didn't know until Orbach came to him and told him he'd have to quit the show because his treatments were no longer working. Wolf didn't want to lose him -- and Orbach really didn't want to quit -- so they moved him over to spinoff Law & Order: Trial by Jury, which had an easier workload. 

As for Chadwick Boseman, I gather his fellow actors from Black Panther knew, but the public didn't until he made that video in April that showed him looking gaunt.

• They may have told the insurance  company but until a cancer is in stage 4 it it may have been considered survivable and not likely to derail the film. If they didn't tell the insurance company they would have been playing with fire.

Prostate cancer, in the case of Jerry Orbach, usually takes several years to be fatal. The saying is that most men diagnosed are more likely to die of a heart condition or a different cancer before prostate cancer kills them.

Colon cancer normally creeps up on a person. By the time it causes pain it is often too late. A coworker of mine was lucky that he got the pain early and was therefore saved, living many more years.

• A celebrity dies every week, it seems, and the Dallas Morning News runs those in the "Metro" section with the rest of the obituaries. Today, the News ran obituaries for four well-known people, but a remembrance of Boseman appeared on page two of section A. I don't remember that ever happening before.

ABC will air Black Panther tonight (although the cynic in me questions their motive). 

• Jeff of Earth-J said:

ABC will air Black Panther tonight (although the cynic in me questions their motive). 

What question do you have? TBS aired Black Panther last night and will air it again tonight.

ABC -- which, by the way, is airing Black Panther without commercial interruption -- will follow it at 10:20 with a 40-minute tribute to Chadwick Boseman from ABC News.

This reply was deleted.