R.I.P. Ernie Colón

I just saw this on Facebook:

I’m posting today with a heavy heart. The extraordinary Ernie Colón passed away yesterday afternoon in his home at the age of 88, surrounded by family, after over a year battling — and I mean battling — cancer. He did things on his own terms. The legacy he leaves behind is astonishing; a 60+ years career in comics, not to mention the work he did in other mediums including painting, writing, sculpting... I don’t think there was anything he couldn’t do. He loved to create — he was always creating. When people asked if he was “still drawing,” he said, “No idea what else I would be doing, since I would draw even when not paid for it. (half the story of my life).” ❤️

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'm so sorry to hear this. He was a terrific artist...and on top of that, I loved the blunt, loose-cannon nature of the letter columns he used to run in the DC books he edited in the 80s. I have a feeling he was quite a character.  

• Here's an obituary from CBR.com: "Legendary Comics Artist Ernie Colón Passes Away at 88"

I know Ernie Colón co-created Amethyst, but somehow I never read it. One of the cooler things he did was a four-issue miniseries for DC in 1987, Underworld, about NYPD cops on and off the job. 

He was well know for humor stuff, like Damage Control, but in later years, he did a series of what one might call public service works, starting with The 9/11 Report: A Graphic Adaptation

• Didn't he also do Casper for a number of years? Truly, nothing he couldn't do.

This reply was deleted.