Replies

• Another one of my heroes gone. And one more guy I wished I'd had had a chance to meet.

In the 70's, thanks to varous Golden Age reprints, it was Robinson's version of BATMAN that became one of my favorites. Those stories, and that art, just had a look, a feel a life about them that was somehow missing in most later BATMAN eras, though I suspect some of that found its way into the Englehart-Rogers collaboration.

The 1st Joker story may be my most-read single BATMAN episode.  "Die! Die! Why don't you DIE??" ("Hasn't he ever heard of a bullet-proof vest?")

• Years ago, when I was on the editorial board of a semi-major metropolitan newspaper, a rather genial old gent came to call on the editorial cartoonist. They visited for about a half-hour, and the old man went on his way. When I asked the cartoonist who that was, he told me, "Jerry Robinson."

"JERRY ROBINSON!" I exclaimed, much like any teenage girl today would if Justin Bieber had come by.

He felt bad that he didn't introduce us; he had no idea I would know or care who Jerry Robinson is. 

• Here are the quotes released by DC Comics:

“Jerry Robinson illustrated some of the defining images of pop culture’s greatest icons. As an artist myself, it’s impossible not to feel humbled by his body of work. Everyone who loves comics owes Jerry a debt of gratitude for the rich legacy that he leaves behind.”—Jim Lee, DC Entertainment Co-Publisher and artist of BATMAN: HUSH

“Jerry Robinson was one of the greats. He continued to be a vibrant, creative force well into his nineties, with ideas and thoughts that continue to inspire. Jerry was a great advocate for creators. It was my pleasure to meet and work with him. He will be missed.”—Dan DiDio, Co-Publisher, DC Entertainment

“It’s impossible to work at DC Entertainment­ without feeling the impact of Jerry Robinson’s contributions to the industry. His influence continues to resonate today.”—Bob Harras, DC Entertainment Editor-in-Chief

“Jerry Robinson was an innovator, a pioneer in storytelling. His artwork was always astonishing, but his contributions to the Dark Knight mythology go far beyond art. The streets of Gotham City are a little lonelier today...Jerry will truly be missed.”—Mike Marts, BATMAN editor
  • I am grateful for that stretch during the '70s when DC was putting out 80-Page Giants and 100-Page Super-Spectaculars and the early Limited Collectors' Edition tabloids; it was through those that I got to see the classic Golden Age art.

Even though all the Batman artists toiled under the Bob Kane house style -- rather ironic since just about all of Kane's ghost artists could draw better than he could -- you could always spot a Jerry Robinson tale. His Batman was tall and gangly, his Alfred was loose-limbed, and his Robin was always restless and ready to spring into action. 

And, of course, and most of all, Jerry Robinson gave us the Clown Prince of Crime, that marvelous mountebank, that grinning gargoyle, that conniving jester, The Joker, one of the most enduring creations of all time.

• I thought it was wild how many early Joker stories had him appear to DIE at the end... so they had to explain at the beginning of the NEXT one how he escaped.  It was almost like a serial... except, with the VILLAIN appearing to die instead of the hero between installments!  (It must have really been something when he was FINALLY hauled away to JAIL! Oh, sure, he was captured in his 1st appearance... but he got escaped the law so fast, it was ridiculous.)

This was in stark contrast to The Catrwoman, who NEVER got caught in her early appearances.  She kept escaping at the end, with Batman having a wry smnile on his face as he looked forward to their next encounter (something that really bothered Robin-- heh).

• "ready to spring into action"

Don't you mean "sprang" ??  (heehee)

• Henry R. Kujawa said:

"ready to spring into action"

Don't you mean "sprang" ??  (heehee)

Sure! Batman, clever like a Fox, put his Finger on who was raising Kane and Sprang into action off to Paris quicker than you could say Jack Robinson ... 

This reply was deleted.