Replies

• I had a feeling...  Too bad, she was funny.  

• Until today, you could say Joan Rivers was a living legend. She was a true pioneer who paved the way for such folks as Roseanne Barr, Elayne Boosler, Rita Rudner, Carol Liefer -- even Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, although those two are comic actresses rather than standup comics.

Rivers, just by doing what she was doing, stood against the knuckle-dragging attitude of men that women by definition are not funny (which still persists, as we learned about the talent booker for Late Show with David Letterman). And I can't blame her for daring to launch her own TV show where she was the host, although Johnny Carson never spoke to her again for the rest of his life.

This is a great loss.

• Here's a 2012 piece by Joan Rivers for The Hollywood Reporter: "Joan Rivers: Why Johnny Carson 'Never Ever Spoke to Me Again' "

• I always liked Carson, but man that was really sorry of him.

I actually took me a while to warm up to Rivers whenever I saw her take over hosting duties on the Tonight Show, as I got older I really began to appreciate her.

• Great article by Joan. Everyone should read it. It goes way beyond talking about Carson.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Here's a 2012 piece by Joan Rivers for The Hollywood Reporter: "Joan Rivers: Why Johnny Carson 'Never Ever Spoke to Me Again' "

• Here's a memory by Chris Rock, in Variety:

“I met Joan Rivers on the worst day of her life. I did the very last ‘The Late Show Starring Joan Rivers’ on Fox. It was my first time on television. Her show just gotten cancelled and her husband had just shot himself in the head. And for whatever reason, she decided to go and do the last show. Boy, did I learn about "the show must go on" that day.

More here: "Chris Rock’s Tribute to Joan Rivers: ‘We Liked Johnny Carson, But ...

• "I mock everybody, regardless of race, creed or color," she told the Toronto Star in July. "Every joke I make, no matter how tasteless, is there to draw attention to something I really care about."

Four years earlier, she explained her no-holds-barred approach to The Times of London: "If you laugh at something, you shrink the dragon."

She loved her subversive humour for sure.

In that spirit, I can think of no better tribute than: "you're dead and you deserve to be dead."

This reply was deleted.