R.I.P. Joe Giella

Joe Giella died on March 21, 2023, at the age of 94. He received the Inkpot Award in 1996. In 2016, he received the Hero Initiative Lifetime Achievement Award at the Harvey Awards. In 2017, Giella was the Guest of Honor at the 2017 Inkwell Awards ceremony at HeroesCon in Charlotte, NC (June 2017). In 2018, Giella was awarded the Inkwell Awards Joe Sinnott Hall of Fame Award for his many years of inking. [From WIKIPEDIA}.

I never exactly warmed to his style of inking, but he was a professional's professional, and his work was always neat and clean.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I always recognized his style. He represents Batman's "New Look" to me.

• Giella was a very busy guy in the Silver Age inking Carmine Infantino and Gil Kane. He also helped bring the Bob Kane/Sheldon Moldoff art  up to date for the New Look Batman.

Here is a 1998 interview with Giella.

Joe Giella

• A wonderful (1998) interview. Nineteen-minute Youtube video. Saw many photos of comics professionals I've never seen before.

doc photo said:

Giella was a very busy guy in the Silver Age inking Carmine Infantino and Gil Kane. He also helped bring the Bob Kane/Sheldon Moldoff art  up to date for the New Look Batman.

Here is a 1998 interview with Giella.

Joe Giella

• Mr Giella worked in newspaper strips into the internet era.

This reply was deleted.