R.I.P. Stan Goldberg, 1932-2014

The legendary Archie artist and Marvel Comics colorist dies.

From the Stan Goldberg Facebook page:

It is with deep sadness that we inform you of the passing of Stan Goldberg. Stan touched many lives through his artwork but was also a dear friend, beloved husband, loving father and doting grandfather. Through the years, countless fans shared how much his work meant to them and what a thrill it was to meet him or have a piece of his work. Stan felt just as strongly about all the people he met and would fondly recall the stories that fans would share with him.

His friends and family were what he treasured most. May his memory be for a blessing.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Here's a link to a long interview with him at Comic Book Resources: "Stan Goldberg on 60 Years of Comics and Life After 'Archie'"

• Lost so many people this year.

• Stan Goldberg said:

With Spider-Man, there's your red and blue, but even the blue on the early Spider-Mans was a deeper blue, a blue with a lot of red in it. In those days it had more of a deep purple-y blue instead of just a flat blue.

I heard Stan Goldberg say this at the San Diego Con. I believe he said that a change in printers resulted in the color changes. Prior to that I had asked Mr. Silver Age about the early colors on Spider-Man, which I always liked better. The blue was more purple and the red was more orange, more like Halloween colors.

"Stan G" was a largely unsung hero.

• Reprints making it red and blue just don't look as good. Of course it's clear in Amazing Fantasy it was supposed to be red and black, or in this case orange and black. And look at the weird creepy eyes. Even when making an obvious superhero they were careful to make him look like a monster just in case DC said anything.

• ...:-(......................................................................................................

Awww .

Sad passing . Farewell . :-(

• Sorry to hear this. I've always enjoyed his work.

• Even though some books had a "house style," there always were some artists whose work was recognizable in spite of that. You always knew a Curt Swan Superman story. I was always happy to find a Jerry Robinson or Dick Sprang Batman.
     And for my money, the "good" Archie artists were Dan DeCarlo and Stan Goldberg.

There was a verve and a life to the figures in a Stan G. Archie story, and likewise for the work he did for Millie the Model at Marvel -- there was more energy and action on the page. Plus, he was good at representing the kids in modern clothing. I don't know if he did better research, or had grandchildren, or just paid closer attention to what the kids were wearing, but he got it right in a way many artists don't.

It was fitting that he was the one to draw the "Archie Marries Veronica" and "Archie Marries Betty" stories that led to the long-running Life With Archie series. He will be missed.

• The GCD has a lot of Millie stories that have his name followed with a question mark under artist and/or inker. I believe the humor magazines still didn't have credits listed when all of the other Marvel Comics did.

• ...It would appear that he has not gotten a New York Times obit yet , which you might think...Bluntly , of course , for one ,even if he gets one , it might be delayed a bit , as a hardly " man bites dog " older person dying , who was not ultra-prominent (Which I have seen the Grey Lady do...)...In ascertaining this , I found his Twitter (no updates since May , and seemingly only original art sale( , and joined - This was more than he had on FB , where I did like what may have been a " Self " page?? , but not a " real"  FB page...By contrast , about the time of his JFK story art being found , I did friend Al Plastino on FB , when he was still alive , and posted on it ~ I said a thing or two to him (mostly that I found it funny that the New York Post had apparently done it ~ the art-finding ~ he said " The Post was great !!!!! " or similar .)...Now , this all might seem a bit gruesome a subject to bring up here.........

• Here's a terrific obituary of him from the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2014/09/03/rip-st...

This reply was deleted.