I just thought I would start up a personal column where I can reflect on different things about comics of the past.

First off, what a neurotic life that boy sidekicks led.

Views: 3100

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In addition to his most famous deficiency, the original Ken seriously lacked muscle and build.

LOL, something I have no interest in checking out, thanks.

JD DeLuzio said:

In addition to his most famous deficiency, the original Ken seriously lacked muscle and build.

All the kids in my neighborhood knew Ken was gay. he had too many shoes for a straight guy.

According to the documentary "Boobs in Toyland" (No-- I'm not making that up, but if you're trying to search it out online, be aware there appears to be another film by that name that I suspect is seriously NSFW), they replaced the skinny Ken in '69 with a more muscular version. Some versions apparently have had a hint of a crotch-bulge, too.

I know you said you had no interest, but in a thread such as this, how could I resist dropping a reference to something called "Boobs in Toyland"?

Peter Bosch said:

LOL, something I have no interest in checking out, thanks.

Text on one of those covers with a slight modification...

BARBIE AND KEN  /  More wonderful stories of your favorite twosome... and her boyfriend.

My wife has been searching for a Ken to add to our granddaughter's Barbie collection. Ken has really bad hair right now.

I envied Ken when I was growing up. He seemed to have it all. I always wanted him to dump Barbie and go off and find Witchie-Poo from H.R. Puff-n-Stuff. They would have been a happy couple.

Those kids who had G.I. Joes knew exactly how Ken rated . . . as the commercial below reminded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jv4b5ydkA0

I never thought about it before, but can you imagine going into a regular store during the run of Jimmy Olsen and the clerk and everyone there hearing you ask, "Do you have a copy of Superman's pal, Jimmy Olsen?"

You apparently do not hunt down back issues at cons. Seasoned collectors know not to look for Jimmy Olsen under J, or Lois Lane under L unless the dealer is trying to confuse things. They're all under S. Likewise, you usually find Creeper under B, Dobie Gillis under M and Bob Hope and Jerry Lewis under A. 

But let's face it--we never even went into any store any place any time and asked a clerk, "Do you have a copy of Jimmy Olsen?" Not only would it have been embarrassing, but they would've given us a blank stare. At best.

-- MSA

When I see comercials like that now I can't help but think of the Ken and Barbie from the Toy Story movies.

Commander Benson said:

Those kids who had G.I. Joes knew exactly how Ken rated . . . as the commercial below reminded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jv4b5ydkA0

It's too bad that licensing considerations kept Barbie out of the first Toy Story -- particularly, the failure of Mattel's marketers to realize that having Barbie in the movie would actually be a good thing -- but I thought her inclusion in Toy Story 2 was just right. You just know the Barbie section in the toy store would be a non-stop party!

I thought the voicing on Barbie in the movie was perfect.

ClarkKent_DC said:

It's too bad that licensing considerations kept Barbie out of the first Toy Story -- particularly, the failure of Mattel's marketers to realize that having Barbie in the movie would actually be a good thing -- but I thought her inclusion in Toy Story 2 was just right. You just know the Barbie section in the toy store would be a non-stop party!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Dark Shadows
"We watched 625 last night, the episode with the "wedding-that-wasn't." I know it…"
6 minutes ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"We've had a number of reposts recently... Could it be we've been partying a little too…"
4 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
5 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Captain Comics's discussion Archie in November 2022: Wouldja believe: Bob Phantom?
"This cover needs to be on the side of a building."
6 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"We caught Thor: Love and Thunder over the weekend. I understand the critics didn't like…"
8 hours ago
The Baron replied to Captain Comics's discussion Archie in November 2022: Wouldja believe: Bob Phantom?
""Wouldja believe: Bob Phantom?" As you may well have intended, I totally…"
10 hours ago
The Baron replied to Captain Comics's discussion Archie in November 2022: Wouldja believe: Bob Phantom?
"Can everyone manage to avoid Jinx’s wave of unfortunate events, or will they all end up on…"
10 hours ago
Captain Comics posted a discussion

Archie in November 2022: Wouljda believe: Bob Phantom?

On Sale Date: 11/16BOB PHANTOM (ONE SHOT)…See More
11 hours ago
Irma Kruhl replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Thanks, Steve. My schedule is crazy so I don't often have a lot of free time but I will try…"
12 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion Ultraman Manga, by Eiichi Shimizu & Tomohiro Shimoguchi (Mildy Spoiler-ish)
"Volume Fifteen Valky o ce again approaches Taro.Dan talks to Shi jiro aboutn whether or not the…"
12 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
""Carlton Sunderland" is revealed to be Arcane in Sunderland's body. It's like…"
12 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"ISSUE #135: Swamp Thing has gone catatonic again, just as he did after "Anatomy…"
13 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service