Replies

• Batman had Bat-mite.  Superman had Mr. Mxyzptlk.  Martian Manhunter had Zook.  You would think that being under the sea would save Aquaman from being followed around by a tiny mite.  Not so.  He got a water sprite fan named Quisp in Aquaman's first issue.

1936095117?profile=original

1936097063?profile=original

And if one water sprite weren't enough, #6 introduced his brother Quink..

1936099419?profile=original

#4 also introduced the bad sprite, Quirk (aka known as Quirp on different pages of #10). 

1936101583?profile=original

• Quisp makes me Quake.

Peter Bosch said:

Batman had Bat-mite.  Superman had Mr. Mxyzptlk.  Martian Manhunter had Zook.  You would think that being under the sea would save Aquaman from being followed around by a tiny mite.  Not so.  He got a water sprite fan named Quisp in Aquaman's first issue.

1936095117?profile=original

1936097063?profile=original

And if one water sprite weren't enough, #6 introduced his brother Quink..

1936099419?profile=original

#4 also introduced the bad sprite, Quirk (aka known as Quirp on different pages of #10). 

1936101583?profile=original

• I remember those cerials, but nobody else seems to!

As I recall, the flavor of both Quisp and Quake were identical, cause they were made at the same time by the same mix, just shapped differently....or was I wrong?

• A followup to the insecurity of sidekicks.  Turns out it applies to grownups, too.

1936092981?profile=original

• Pretty sure you're right. It was like a cereal company decided to do an in-house sales rivalry. For the uninitiated, Quisp's mascot was a propeller headed alien and Quake's was a miner, and then later a cowboy. (follow the Google/Bing trail if you're curious).

Kirk G said:

I remember those cerials, but nobody else seems to!

As I recall, the flavor of both Quisp and Quake were identical, cause they were made at the same time by the same mix, just shapped differently....or was I wrong?

• The cereals couldn't be identical, one was from outer space and the other was from the center of the Earth.
  • Today's subject...

There was a period when Neal Adams did a lot of provactive covers for "Superboy" that made you want to read the inside story...

1936094016?profile=original

1936096212?profile=original

1936097892?profile=original

1936100111?profile=original

1936101935?profile=original

1936103718?profile=original

1936106069?profile=original

But then, through a change of editors or whatever, it all went wrong.

1936107968?profile=original

1936107998?profile=original

1936110310?profile=original1936112491?profile=original

1936112615?profile=original

1936114693?profile=original

1936114894?profile=original

1936117050?profile=original

It's no surprise that the Legion of Super-Heroes took over this title very soon thereafter, just like they had taken Adventure Comics away from him.

• SUPERBOY #160 reminds me of a SUPERMAN story where Lois was accidentally wounded by bullets shot at him that bounced off and hit her, where he went to another planet, one with a red sun, intending "never" to return to Earth (YEAH RIGHT).  The cover was a blatent swipe of ASM #50, "Spider-Man No More", which came out only a few months earlier.

Then of course there's also the post-Crisis/New DCU Superman, who, after EXECUTING the Pocket Universe Phantom Zone prisoners (who had-- let's face it-- MURDERED every single person on an ENTIRE PLANET!!!) he was so overcome with "guilt", and suffered a nervious breakdown, that he decided to fly off into space, "never" to return (YEAH RIGHT).  The cover of the issue where he left was a blatent swipe (tribute) to Steranko's cover of NICK FURY #6.

• "As I recall, the flavor of both Quisp and Quake were identical, cause they were made at the same time by the same mix, just shapped differently....or was I wrong?"

I used to eat QUISP a lot, but oddly enough, I'm not sure I ever ate QUAKE.

QUISP tasted a lot like CAP'N CRUNCH, if memory serves... except, CC was better.   (Crazy thing... CC-- the original flavor-- is one of the few breakfast cerals I still eat regularly!  Unlike many of my old favorites from the 60's, Quaker Oats, as far as I know, NEVER changed the flavor.  Too many of my old faves were ruined by being "new and improved".)

• Today's discussion

If you are old enough, you will remember these

1936095339?profile=original

and then...

1936099493?profile=original

and then, they went to 25 cents...

1936101541?profile=original

Do they still do that in this day of $3.99 comics?

This reply was deleted.