This discussion will focus on DC's character Black Lighting. For this project, I'll be reading the following comics:

Black Lightning 1-11
World's Finest 256-261
Dc Comics Presents 16
Justice League of America 173-174
Brave and the Bold 163
Detective Comics 490-491, 494-495

Hopefully, I'll be able to do these in order.

Views: 1250

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If my memory isn't playing tricks in Batman and the Outsiders #1 Lightning doesn't want to go back to superheroing because the last time he went into action he "killed a girl". In #2 Lightning and Batman are chained in a dungeon and Batman convinces him his power has been blocked by guilt. Apparently the killed-a-girl bit was a reference to Detective Comics #495, and the psychosomatic explanation of Lightning's loss of power was revisionist.

I do remember that story, although I'd never associated it with that story from Detective. However, thinking about it, he'd lost his powers in Detective #491.  Maybe that's why I would have thought it was a different girl.

Luke Blanchard said:

If my memory isn't playing tricks in Batman and the Outsiders #1 Lightning doesn't want to go back to superheroing because the last time he went into action he "killed a girl". In #2 Lightning and Batman are chained in a dungeon and Batman convinces him his power has been blocked by guilt. Apparently the killed-a-girl bit was a reference to Detective Comics #495, and the psychosomatic explanation of Lightning's loss of power was revisionist.

I don't remember a footnote. But I first read the story in an Australian reprint issue, and they sometimes cut them out.

The letter column of Detective #495 reveals that the creators of the time wanted to depower Black Lightning, supposedly because they did not understand how his powers worked.

That doesn't surprise me, but it seems odd. It's not like the character had appeared in dozens of stories up until that point. It shouldn't have been hard to research.

Luis Olavo de Moura Dantas said:

The letter column of Detective #495 reveals that the creators of the time wanted to depower Black Lightning, supposedly because they did not understand how his powers worked.

I was surprised to discover that Black Lightning is getting a TV show at The CW. Hadn't heard about it:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/black-lightning-life-sen...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service