Just for fun, I’ve decided to rank the Silver Age Legion of Super Heroes. This is my list, so if you disagree, please create your own. I’d love to see it.

Here are the guidelines I’ve set for myself for this list:

• The Silver Age ends in 1968—the end of 1968
  • Only active, full-time Legionnaires are being considered. No Subs, Reservists or Honorary members, and nobody that was a member for one story but was expelled afterwards.
  • Rankings will be based on each character’s potential and actual contributions to the team. It’s entirely possible that a character I think is pretty awesome is ranked pretty low—or vice versa.

Characters will be ranked in several areas:

• Intangibles – what, beyond their powers and abilities, did they bring to the team? For instance, if a character helped significantly boost morale, made a major scientific contribution or brought great leadership, that character would likely get extra points.
  • Perceived Value – Looking at the character’s powers and abilities, what should they bring to the table for the team.
  • Actual Value – Looking at the stories, what did those characters actually do with their powers and abilities? What contributions did they make?

I’ll tell you all right now, there are gonna be some surprises.

Views: 2071

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As I noted earlier, despite what the writers said, Karate Kid had to have super strength and some high level of invulnerability to do the things he was shown to be able to do. He is less Shang-chi and more Karnak or Iron Fist. A good comparison may be Magnus who was able to behead robots with a single “karate chop.”

Ronald Morgan said:

Looks like he has whatever it is that Karnak has.

To digress back to our discussion of Nemesis Kid, the more I think about him, the more he comes across as a coward and a bully. He knew he was “bigger” than any single other kid on the playground and was able to “bully” anyone. However, when he was no longer “bigger” he “ran away.”

Also, I always wondered what would happen if Nemesis Kid took on Duplicate Boy of the Heroes of Lallor. Of course, the easy out is Duplicate Boy using Duo Damsel’s power or Nemesis Kid teleporting away. But without those cheats such a battle could have been a lot of fun. Does anyone know if this actually did ever take place?

Captain Comics said:

We should just post all the letters from "Legion Outpost" in this thread and call it a day. Evidently, they thought everything we're thinking, only 47 years earlier.

To wit:  

Dave Palmer said:

I always wondered what would happen if Nemesis Kid took on Duplicate Boy of the Heroes of Lallor. Of course, the easy out is Duplicate Boy using Duo Damsel’s power or Nemesis Kid teleporting away.

From the letter column of Action Comics # 381 (Oct., 1969):

I have a suggestion for an interesting Legion fight:  Duplicate Boy of Lallor versus Nemesis Kid, the villainous ex-Legionnaire.  N.K. has the power to defeat any one foe, so he could presumably win; but D.B. has the power to duplicate any super-power, so he could possibly duplicate Nemesis Kid's.  How about it?  Who would win?

--- Leonard Philip Zinna, Brooklyn, New York

(That's an easy one!  Remember how N.K. was beaten last time?  Duo Damsel did it by becoming TWO people.  And Duplicate Boy could mimic her power, too!  --- Ed.)

Commander,

Thanks. It seems there were a lot of little ”gems” hidden in The Legion’s short tenure in Action. I’ll have to dig out my originals and take a look at the letters pages (usually I just refer to the various collections I have, it’s just easier).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service