I've started to put together a list of pirate-themed comics features, and thought what I had might interest others. I'll add new items as I learn about them. Please feel free to offer suggestions.

I'm not trying to make a list every pirate feature that has ever appeared anywhere in the world: I think that would not be worthwhile, as some items in the genre have likely been very low-grade.

I'm counting corsair stories, but not features in which the pirates aren't regulars (hence e.g. not "Donald Duck Finds Pirate Gold" from Four Color #9, or comics in which the Phantom fights pirates. Modern-day pirates count, but not space pirates.

Within their sections the items are listed alphabetically rather than chronologically.

US

pirate titles (anthologies, or lead-feature titles)

Buccaneers (Quality)

Captain Kidd (Fox)

Long John Silver and the Pirates (Charlton)

Piracy (EC)

Pirate Eye (Action Lab Comics: appearing currently)

Pirates Comics (Hillman)

The Pirates of Dark Water (Marvel: cartoon tie-in)

other pirate features

"The Black Buccaneer", from Blazing Comics (Rural Home)

"The Black Pirate", from Action Comics, Sensation Comics, Comic Cavalcade, and All-American Comics (DC/All-American)

"The Boy Pirate", from Prize Comics v.6 #7 (Prize) (This is in a bigfoot comedy style.)

"The Buccaneer", from More Fun Comics (DC)

"Captain Fear", from Adventure Comics (DC) (Drawn by Alex Niño.)

"The Corsair", from A-1 (Magazine Enterprises)

"Hawks of the Seas", which has a complex publication history including Wow - What a Magazine! (Henle) under an earlier title, Feature Comics (Quality) and Jumbo Comics (Fiction House)

"The Last Pirate", from Star Comics (Centaur)

"Pirate Gold", from More Fun Comics (DC)

"Pirate Prince", from Silver Streak Comics and Daredevil Comics (Gleason)

Australia

"Middy Malone"

"The Phantom Pirate". (I've not read either of these. Both were created by Syd Nicholls.)

France and Belgium

"Barbe-Rouge"

Captaine Tornade

UK

"Captain Pugwash"

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Captain Pugwash. Lol.

But...but... pirates are quite central to the Phantom. Practically his raison d'etre.

y
  • Literally his raison d'etre, given his origin. The European Phantom stories I've seen explore the history of the Phantoms too, but I wanted to list features rather than stories.

• I've added "Captain Fear", a 70s series from Adventure Comics, and a French series, Captaine Tornade (an issue of its English-language version can be found at Comic Book Plus).

The GCD lists two Hawks of the Seas collections. The cover of the Dark Horse one is in Eisner's later style.

This reply was deleted.