Here's a challenge for the Legion: recommend a title from the 1990's. It can be from any company, but I put this caveat on it to make it interesting: pick something other than Starman, Sandman, or Incredible Hulk. Pick a long run, or a short one, one storyline, or a single issue, whatever you wish.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Primal Force from DC. 15 issues of underrated gold written by Steven T. Seagle
  • I recently discovered Spider-man 2099. I found that I was entertained regardless of the issue I picked up in the back issue bin, the earlier issues are better though. I think there is a trade collecting the first 10 issues.
  • Just one? It was a golden age in its way...

Untold Tales of Spider-man.

Busiek showed that you don't have to p#$$ all over previous continuity to set a story in a previous era. A real labour of love. Characters that were just 'hangers on' in the crowd scenes got fleshed out and their stories were told. Some nice little scenes pointed forward without hitting anyone over the head with their obviousness. As usual Busiek done his homework and the episodes could fit in alongside the Stan and Steve stuff.

Oliffe's art had his own style without being too far from Ditko's early 60s work.

Special low price, most of the stories told in one, consistent creative team, nostalgic look back at a much loved era of comics. Why'd it only last two years?
  • Brainstorming here...

• The Waid/Garney Captain America
    • Morrison's JLA
    Sandman Mystery Theatre
    • Most of Jeff Smith's Bone is from the '90s...
    • Sam Keith's The Maxx...at least the first storyline.
    Leave it To Chance by James Robinson and Paul Smith
    • Peter Milligan and Chris Bachalo's Shade the Changing Man
    • Speaking of Bachalo, I seem to recall enjoying his and Scott Lobdell's Generation X, but I didn't read it frequently enough or recently enough to recommend it.
    Transmetropolitan
    • Was Tom Peyer and Rags Morales' Hourman from the '90s? I think it was...

More later.
  • I forgot about Bone. That's a terrific recommendation. I've only read the first four volumes, I need to get another one now that I think about it.
  • The DeMatties/McManus issues of Dr. Fate. Liked it so much, I lent it to an ex and had to buy 'em again!

(oh, wait... those are late 80s, aren't they?)

• Don Rosa's Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck
  • I was writing a reply, and accidentally quit out of Firefox. Grr!

Anywho... I was listing some Batman books...
    Legends of the Dark Knight — "Faces", "Gothic", and "Venom" spring to mind, but most of the stories the first couple years were pretty good
    • A couple of one-shots: Holy Terror and Birth of the Demon
    The Batman Adventures...Kelley Puckett and Mike Parobeck? Brilliant!

And some more non-Batman books:
    • Peter David's Aquaman and Supergirl runs
    Strangers in Paradise

And I had some other examples, but now I don't remember them. :(

Just out of curiosity, John, why the challenge? Just looking for some good stuff from the '90s?
  • Definitely Sandman Mystery Theater, one of the BEST books put out in the '90's IMO.
    There were actually quite a few arcs in Batman's Shadow of the Bat that weren't too bad. 1-5, 7-9 and 11-12 come immediately to mind.
  • I'm a big fan of Malibu's superhero output. With that in mind, I would recommend ...
    Prime through issue 20 or so. I feel its very much akin to Captain Marvel, but done with a modern angle. (I'm talking series 1 here. Watch out for the crummy reboot and the Marvel issues.)
    Freex through issue 10 or so. Very much like X-Men without all the continuity woes.
    Mantra was also a great book. I really liked that one, but as with Prime, avoid the reboot and the Marvel issues.

From Tekno comics, try Neil Gaiman's Mr. Hero. It's about a steam-powered robot. (Now don't get your hopes up, Gaiman didn't write this. He just supplied all the ideas, and then let another writer loose on it)
This reply was deleted.