I thought it might be kind of fun to pick a comic (storyline) and see what kind of recommendations the board would come up with based on that comic.  (If it works well, who knows, I might choose another one next week. :))

Just 'cause it's not a game without criteria, why don't we go like this:

1. Something old (a specific story or issue)

2. Something new (a series being published currently)

3. Something related (by a member of the creative team or another story featuring the same character)

4. Something Batman (a specific story or issue)

So, the comic is:

Southern Bastards Vol. 1: Here Was A Man

(Mark has a review here.)

-----------------------------------------

Our picks so far:

Southern Bastards Vol. 1: Here Was A Man

Legion of Super-Heroes: The Great Darkness Saga

Daredevil by Mark Waid Vol. 1

Saga Vol. 1

The Magneto Testament

Avengers: Ultron Unlimited

Seven Soldiers of Victory by Grant Morrison

Secret Origins (1987) #10: The (possible) origins of the Phantom St...

JLA: Year One

Action Comics #241: The Super-Key to Fort Superman

Detective Comics #s 604-607: The Mudpack

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

Planet Hulk

Views: 1407

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rob Staegar said:

I don't think Border Mutt would consider it out of line for me to ask you to start the next one, Jason. Go for it!

Sounds good to me.

Going forward, whoever chooses the topic also chooses the next person.

Alright here we go, the Magneto Testament by Greg Pak

Awesome pick! I'll get back with my votes later...

Jason Marconnet (Pint sized mod) said:

Alright here we go, the Magneto Testament by Greg Pak

Something Old:

Everyone needs to read Red Skull: Incarnate. It's also written by Greg Pak. This is another book told from the villain's point of view, and it does such a great job of turning a pure black character at least a slightly lighter shade of black.

Something New:

Greg Pak is also the writer of two of the series that brought me back to DC: Action Comics and Batman/Superman. These are two fantastic books that really bring the sense of wonder back to Superman.

Something Related:

Going with the whole "villain-book" theme, I'm going to suggest the Joker trade, which collects his short-lived series in its entirety. While the story is nothing brain-shattering, it is still a lot of fun, and well worth the read.

Something Batman:

Well, I shot that one with my last pick, didn't I? That's okay. I've always got something up my sleeve. I'm going to go with an oldie but a goodie: Arkham Asylum by Grant Morrison and Dave McKean. If you've never read this one, trust me, it's a piece that must be read. It gets into the minds of Batman's rogue's gallery like no other book I've read since.

Something old- Wolverine vol. 2 #32 by Mark Millar. Great stand alone story about Wolverine in a WWII prison camp.
Something new- the Dying and the Dead by Jonathan Hickman. Great series about a WWII vet taking on a mystical adventure.
Something Related- the Joker by Brian Azzarelo. An OGN about Batman's greatest foe.
Something Batman- JSA the Liberty Files by Dan Jolley. Another WW2 superhero story and the follow up set during the Cold War is great too.

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

Something New:

Greg Pak is also the writer of two of the series that brought me back to DC: Action Comics and Batman/Superman. These are two fantastic books that really bring the sense of wonder back to Superman.

Agreed.  The books also have wonderful artists - Aaron Kuder on Action and Jae Lee on Bat/Sup.

Okay, I haven’t read this one, so I’m just recommending on the surface details:

Something old: Two issues of All-Star Squadron, issues 8 & 9, which introduced Steel to the team. Much of the issues were devoted to a flashback to Steel’s earlier experiences captured by the Germans, and being in a concentration camp (among other things, he was instrumental in the origin of Baron Blitzkreig). These flashbacks were originally slated for the sixth issue of Steel’s own comic, but it was canceled at issue 5. 

Something new: I’ve been reading Brian Bendis’s Uncanny X-Men run on Marvel Unlimited, and am liking it more than I expected to. Magneto features prominently as one of the team members (he’s pretty much co-leader of the renegades with Cyclops), and I suspect he still does in more current issues. Bendis is bringing me into the X-Men in a way that his contemporaries haven't been able to. 

Something Related: Make Comics Like the Pros, a how-to book written by Greg Pak and Fred Van Lente. Unlike most how-to books, this handles both the writing and the art side, as well tips of perhaps the most-neglected subject -- how to sell the comics once you’ve made ‘em!

Something Batman: The one Batman villain who’s been shaped by his childhood imprisonment is Bane, who I’m pretty sure was born and raised in a prison on the Caribbean island of Santa Prisca. But since I didn’t read that story, I’ll recommend what I believe is the first appearance of Santa Prisca, several years before Bane was created -- The Question issues 10-13, in which Vic Sage’s friend and mentor, Aristotle Rodor, is abducted, and Vic as to travel to Santa Prisca to infiltrate a private army to get him back. It was one of my favorite arcs of the Question book, drawn by Denys Cowan and written by Denny O’Neil, who was editor of the Bat-books when Bane was introduced. I imagine when Chuck Dixon was first talking about Bane’s origins in prison, Denny recalled this story and said, “Have I got an island for you!”

Man, they need to chain Aaron Kuder down and make sure he never gets away.

John Dunbar (the mod of maple) said:

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

Something New:

Agreed.  The books also have wonderful artists - Aaron Kuder on Action and Jae Lee on Bat/Sup.

Bump

John Dunbar, how about you recommend something?

OK, with the big movie coming out on Friday, my recommendation is Avengers: Ultron Unlimited, which reprints Avengers 19-22 from 1999, by Kurt Busiek, George Perez, and Al Vey.

Something Old - I'll skip the obvious debut of the Vision and go with the debut of Ultron himself in a two part story in Avengers 54 and 55.  The story has the crazy turned up to 11 - Jarvis betrays the Avengers under the sway of Ultron, the Masters of Evil capture the Avengers and they are rescued by Dane Whitman, the new and not evil Black Knight.  Ultron gets away, his origins unknown.

Something New - "Salvation", Mighty Avengers 35-36, from 2007.  While the rest of the Avengers are caught up in Siege, Hank Pym faces off against Ultron one on one.

Something Related - George Perez became a star back in the 1970s while working on Avengers.  Two stories during his run featured Ultron: Avengers 161-162, and 170-171.

Something Batman - What else but JLA/Avengers from 2003, by Kurt and George?  EVERYBODY is in there, including Ultron and Batman.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service