I thought it might be kind of fun to pick a comic (storyline) and see what kind of recommendations the board would come up with based on that comic.  (If it works well, who knows, I might choose another one next week. :))

Just 'cause it's not a game without criteria, why don't we go like this:

1. Something old (a specific story or issue)

2. Something new (a series being published currently)

3. Something related (by a member of the creative team or another story featuring the same character)

4. Something Batman (a specific story or issue)

So, the comic is:

Southern Bastards Vol. 1: Here Was A Man

(Mark has a review here.)

-----------------------------------------

Our picks so far:

Southern Bastards Vol. 1: Here Was A Man

Legion of Super-Heroes: The Great Darkness Saga

Daredevil by Mark Waid Vol. 1

Saga Vol. 1

The Magneto Testament

Avengers: Ultron Unlimited

Seven Soldiers of Victory by Grant Morrison

Secret Origins (1987) #10: The (possible) origins of the Phantom St...

JLA: Year One

Action Comics #241: The Super-Key to Fort Superman

Detective Comics #s 604-607: The Mudpack

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

Planet Hulk

Views: 1408

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have never read that book, but I will go with what I know of Ultron (from the comics' Age of Ultron and the latest Uncanny Avengers HC).

I am going to just say that I have nothing for the "Something Old" on this one. I'm probably about a five years Marvel fan at this point, the last two or three as a major Marvel fan. My "old" doesn't go too far back.

Something New: Uncanny Avengers: Rage of Ultron. This book is Rick Remender and Jerome Opena at their best. There is a huge spoiler in this story, but I cannot recommend this book highly enough. If you are a fan of Remender's Uncanny X-Force, his work on the later issues of Secret Avengers, Captain America, All-New Captain America, and his Uncanny Avengers, he has said that all his Marvel work is all one mammoth story, and this plays right into that. This book is beautiful. You can buy it at Amazon or Instock Trades on the cheap. I recommend you do so!

Something Related: I'm going to go with the Dark Horse comic from the mid-nineties, Droids. It's related because it's about robots. But seeing C3PO and R2D2 drawn by Ian Gibson was well worth it for me back in the day. I'm quite certain it's easy to find these in some Dark Horse Omnibus of Star Wars, probably on a bargain shelf wherever you shop.

Something Batman: I'm going to go the "tech" route and go with Batman: Rules of Engagement. This is the story of Batman/Bruce Wayne vs. Lex Luthor in an arms races using Waynetech vs. LexCorp. Story by Andy Diggle with art by Whilce Portacio, so it's really cool looking and a great read as well. Very cool, very over-looked story.

Something Batman: I'm going to go the "tech" route and go with Batman: Rules of Engagement. This is the story of Batman/Bruce Wayne vs. Lex Luthor in an arms races using Waynetech vs. LexCorp. Story by Andy Diggle with art by Whilce Portacio, so it's really cool looking and a great read as well. Very cool, very over-looked story.

Was this one originally in Batman Confidential?

Yes, I do believe it was.

Border Mutt said:

Something Batman: I'm going to go the "tech" route and go with Batman: Rules of Engagement. This is the story of Batman/Bruce Wayne vs. Lex Luthor in an arms races using Waynetech vs. LexCorp. Story by Andy Diggle with art by Whilce Portacio, so it's really cool looking and a great read as well. Very cool, very over-looked story.

Was this one originally in Batman Confidential?

I've started reading Busiek's Avengers run, haven't got to this story yet, but since I've been enjoying what I've read so far I guess I'll give this one a go.

Something Old:
Roger Stern's Olympus War from Avengers 281-285. In most Avengers fan's minds, this seems to get overshadowed by Under Siege (which came out just before it), but being a fair weather Avengers fan, I`ve always liked the Olympus War better. It's pretty accessible, with Herc's family causing the Avengers problems...  probably my favourite Avengers story.

Something New:
Going with the artificial intelligence angle, I think I`ll pick Alex + Ada. This story isn't about an evil AI waging war on the world, more like a frightened world outlawing and trying to prevent AIs, while a certain minority try to push AI rights. Really though, it`s about the developing relationship between one man and his android, as he tries to make the world fairer for her.

Something Related:

For this one, I'm going to go with Busiek's Astro City story focusing on Beautie, which was collected in the Shining Stars volume.  In this one, the Beautie android goes on a personal quest for answers.  Another fun Astro City story with a twist.

Something Batman:

This one seems to call out for the Omac Project, but I thought the story was a little lacking.  How 'bout The Incredible Adventures of Batman from LOTDK #101.  One hundred years in the future, a new Batman melds the era's high tech with the throwback trappings of Batman stories.

Something Old: Let’s choose an old Avengers story here, Under Siege, originally in issues 273-277 (but collected in TPB), in which the Masters of Evil attack while most Avengers are out of town. Written by Roger Stern with art by John Buscema and Tom Palmer, it’s a heck of a story, and features the Avengers as most on the ropes as I’d ever seen them. And poor Jarvis!

Something New: IBatgirl recently created her own electronic nemesis in the recent issues of her title, by Cameron Stewart, Brendan Fletcher and Babs Tarr. Well worth checking out. 

Something Related: I’d be remiss if I didn’t recommend Autumnlands from Kurt Busiek & Ben Dewey, one of my favorite books currently being published. It’s partially the story of one human in a fantasy world of anthropomorphic animals, but it’s narrated by one of those animals, a terrier named Dusty. It’s got gorgeous art and the vast sweep of a huge multi-societal drama.

Something Batman: In the Under the Hood story (Batman 635-638) by Judd Winick and Doug Mahnke, Batman and the newly resurrected Red Hood fight Amazo, DC’s best robot villain. From what I can recall, it’s a pretty great fight sequence.

I always thought Judd Winick wrote excellent action sequences.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Something Batman: In the Under the Hood story (Batman 635-638) by Judd Winick and Doug Mahnke, Batman and the newly resurrected Red Hood fight Amazo, DC’s best robot villain. From what I can recall, it’s a pretty great fight sequence.

He's definitely written some good ones! You want to recommend the next book, Sensei?

Sorry I didn't jump on the last one. I hadn't read it.

Sure thing, Rob!

Okay, folks, here's the next one:

Seven Soldiers of Victory by Grant Morrison back from 2004-2005. I hope this taps into some fertile ground.

Okay, I'll be spacing mine out this time, since I haven't thought of all four categories yet. On the other hand, I have two for Something Old:

First, I'll recommend Leading Comics #2, the second adventure of the original Seven Soldiers of Victory, reprinted in both the Seven Soldiers Archives and Justice League of America 111-112 (split into two parts in those 100-page issues). This is largely because of The Hopper, possibly my all-time favorite lame villain, who faces off against Green Arrow and Speedy. The Hopper is...wait for it... a guy on a pogo stick. And yet he puts that glorious technology toward a life of crime! Such a waste. The rest of the adventure is fun, too, with the Shining Knight heading down to New Orleans (my favorite city), and the Star-Spangled Kid facing off against a crook dressed as Santa. Unfortunately (as is the case with all of the original SSOV adventures, I assume) the portrayal of Crimson Avenger's sidekick, Wing, includes wince-inducing racial caricaturing. But there's none of that in the Green Arrow chapter: Nothing can sully the Hopper for me.  

Also, I recommend Thriller, particularly the early issues by Robert Loren Fleming (1-7) and Trevor Von Eeden (1-8). A disembodied spirit has seven seconds to save the world... and by seconds, she means assistants, but seconds sounds so much cooler. This book is the closest in spirit, I think, to the overarching conceit of Morrison's Seven Soldiers, in that some of the protagonists didn't even know they were working together. I think this book really needs a revisit, and I'd love to see RLF and TvE take another crack at it. Thriller ran for 12 isues (the remainder were handled by Bill DuBay and Alex Nino), and at least one of the characters, Scabbard, also appeared in an issue of Ambush Bug. My favorite character was probably Salvo, a pacifist marksman: "No kill shots -- only flesh wounds! I won't kill a fly, so don't ask me!"

Something Old: Vigilante: City Lights; Prairie Justice by James Robinson and Tony Salmons. Vigilante (the cowboy version) is a main character in the bookends of this series, and this is a great little miniseries featuring dirty businessmen who meet the six-guns of justice via the Vigilante. I really need to reread this book.

I'm going with Rob's example and taking this one slowly. Nothing is hitting me quite yet on the other categories, even though it is purposefully very fertile ground.

"Something New" has really got me stuck. So I'm just going to move on to Something Related -- something else by a member of the creative team, in this case, another Morrison book. I'm choosing something much more compact from him: Vimanarama, a three-issue miniseries he did with Phillip Bond. I think Bond's art is insanely attractive and always fun, and perfect for this Kirbyesque look at Indian mythology. It's got a great sense of lighthearted romance & adventure, and the opening spread from the comic was the wallpaper on my computer for a good long while years ago.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service