Regrets not buying?

Loooking back, I regret not buying the Marvel Western reprint series and Sgt.Fury. I missed the All-New X-Men and Miller's Daredevil which weren't titles I bought then. For DC, I ignored most of their war books, except for the occasional Unknown Soldier.

What's your collecting regret?

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• My biggest regrets are comics I got rid of that I wish I still had. I do wish I'd read the Marvel western and Sgt. Fury reprints that were around when I was a kid, but I might not have enjoyed them then. Also more of the non-Marvel/DC stuff that was around, such as Magnus: Robot Fighter. But the same reservation applies.
  • Yeah, I'm with Luke. I haven't gotten rid of too many of my old comics, but I think I regret every one I did trade away. One trade in particular sticks in my craw. I didn't care for much of Kirby's 1970s output at the time it was new, but I went through a "Kirby phase" in college and traded stacks of Silver and Bronze Age Captain Americas (@ 15 cents apiece) for stacks of 1970s Kirbys (@ 20 cents or a quarter apiece). I don't regret acquiring the Kirbys, but I'll probably never reacquire those issues of Captain America I foolishly traded away. And I had a complete run at that time, too! Luckily, Marvel Masterworks Captain America has already entered the run of issues I got rid of.

There's plenty of stuff I skipped when I was younger which I certainly would have enjoyed at the time, but thanks to cheap backissue prices while I was in colege and the current "Golden Age of Reprints" there's not much I care to own that I don't own.
  • I regret getting rid of my Chris Claremont/Dave Cockrum and Cockrum/John Bryne-era Uncanny X-Men issues. I've long since walked away from the title, but I really enjoyed the book back then.
  • The closest regret I have is this: Me and my brother basically doubled out comic book budget in that we didn't duplicate they titles that we bought. They way we could read each others comics, but collect our own. I just wish I had the "better" titles. My brother had X-Men, and Amazing Spider-man. And, although I loved the titles, I had the likes of Blue Devil and All-Star Squadron. That would be my only regret, and it isn't that big of a deal to me.

Even the comics I either sold or traded I didn't regret getting rid of. I do kinda wish I still had my G.I. Joe's.

So there is my vague answer of I don't but I do.
  • ClarkKent_DC said:
    I regret getting rid of my Chris Claremont/Dave Cockrum and Cockrum/John Bryne-era Uncanny X-Men issues.

Oh, that reminds me! I bought Giant-Size X-Men #1 new off the rack but I traded it (to prove something to myself, I forget what) when Marvel released a "baxter paper" reprint in the early 80s. I don't even remember what I traded it for!
  • One regret for a series I didn't actually buy: the Christopher Priest/Mark Bright run on Black Panther. It was one of those titles -- like Ruse and The Power Company -- that I totally missed when it was new, and discovered in the 50-cent bins long after it was canceled. However, unlike The Power Company, I never completed that set and have many gaps in the run.

And speaking of shopping in the 50-cent bins, I've been splurging a lot in recent weeks and (among other things) got most of the last two years' worth of the main Superman titles -- Action Comics, Superman, Supergirl and the World of New Krypton maxiseries. I regret not getting these when they were fresh; I've enjoyed them!
  • Although, I should add there actually are titles I regret not buying. Those were because I couldn't, not that I didn't want to, but I don't think that is what you were asking
  • I missed the first story arcs of "Fables" and "Y-The Last Man" though I got the trades. I wish I had more of the 70s "Jonah Hex" and "Weird Western Comics". I read the "Marvel Zombies" trades. I got the fourth series only because of the horror characters but it's just too silly now.
  • Philip Portelli said:
    I missed the first story arcs of "Fables" and "Y-The Last Man" though I got the trades. I wish I had more of the 70s "Jonah Hex" and "Weird Western Comics". I read the "Marvel Zombies" trades. I got the fourth series only because of the horror characters but it's just too silly now.

Fables is another series I discovered through the magic of the 50-cent bin; I got the first trade from a Friends of the Library bookstore, and liked it enough that I kept looking for more.

Y -- The Last Man I've read entirely through borrowing the trades from the library. I liked the concept, I liked the stories, and I liked most of the characters, save one: Yorick. Him I found to be an annoying, whiny, useless slacker who was badly miscast in his own title.

I was fortunate enough to get all of the All-Star Western/Weird Western Tales and Jonah Hex issues early in my comics collecting career. I think they'd be impossible to get now.
  • Yorick is a character you either really like or hate...I loved the guy. I hesitate to say it...but he's probably the closest a comic book character has come to what I think of as my personality.
This reply was deleted.