Richard Donner, R.I.P.

Director Richard Donner has died.   He was 91 years old.

Most people here will know Donner for directing Superman (1978), the film that proved a big-budget superhero movie could reach the adults as well as the kids, and for his involvement with the Lethal Weapon franchise. His long history behind the camera also includes The Goonies and episodes of several genre series, including The Six Million Dollar Man, The Man from U.N.C.L.E., and The Twilight Zone-- most notably "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet."

In the late sixties, he introduced a generation of kids to the style of the old movie serials with Danger Island. Made for The Banana Splits, it ran in installments during the first season and was rerun in its entirety during subsequent seasons.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Lethal Weapon 5 is in development, and Richard Donner was supposed to be directing and producing.

• Sorry to hear of his passing. Superman ll : The Richard Donner Cut is one of my favorite super hero movies. It is far superior to what was released to theaters in 1981.

• doc photo said:

Sorry to hear of his passing. Superman ll : The Richard Donner Cut is one of my favorite super hero movies. It is far superior to what was released to theaters in 1981.

I've got that lying around the house, but never have made time to watch it.

• This article from iHorror.com talks about Richard Donner's direction outside of Superman and Lethal Weapon, including but not limited to the William Shatner/Gremlin Twilight Zone episode and The Omen (1976).

This reply was deleted.