Views: 260

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Crimson Avenger was in the Seven Soldiers of Victory story in Justice League of America #100-102. Y'all didn't read that one?

There's also a Crimson Avenger II who is female and kind of a Spectre Jr. She avenges something or other with mystical guns that belonged to Lee Travis. The Earth-2 version is both female and named Lee Travis. Anyway, she's popped up here and there. 

ClarkKent_DC said:

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

He wrote some amazing stories. One of the best is "Whatever Happened to the Crimson Avenger," a backup story in DC Comics Presents. In 8 pages, it delivered an unexpected punch -- one that stayed with me, despite it starring a character I might not have ever seen before.

That was the first, last, and only story I've ever read featuring the Crimson Avenger, but it's stayed with me, too. 

It was in DC COMICS PRESENTS #38 (O'81) and it was one of DC's best stories of the year!

One of my favorite scenes from Justice League of America #111:

Just reminded by a post on Walt Simonson's Facebook page that Wein wrote one of my all time favorite Batman stories - a brief two pager - Once Upon A Time... that appeared in Detective #500. If someone was totally unfamiliar with Batman, that story would be the perfect way to explain the character.

doc photo said:

Just reminded by a post on Walt Simonson's Facebook page that Wein wrote one of my all time favorite Batman stories - a brief two pager - Once Upon A Time... that appeared in Detective #500. If someone was totally unfamiliar with Batman, that story would be the perfect way to explain the character.

Right! Snoopy's novel!

His JLA run (100-114) were some of the first super hero comic books I remember buying off the stands as a kid.
R.I.P. Mr. Wein.

“Pause it.”

We were watching TV when Tracy said that. She usually scans the internet on her phone while we’re watching TV, and this is her usual way of notifying me there’s something I may find of interest. The next words out of her mouth were, “Len Wein…”

“What? What?” I demanded. Sometime she can be a little slow getting to the point, but I had a feeling what this must be about. “Any man’s death diminishes me” wrote John Donne, but some affect me more than others. For whatever reason, the news of Wein’s death hit me particularly hard.

Here’s a link to NPR coverage: http://www.npr.org/2017/09/11/550218502/len-wein-co-creator-of-wolv...

And Wein died just a few months after the death of his most famed artistic collaborator, Bernie Wrightson, also gone too young.

Oh, I've read it -- but it came out a few years before I was reading comics (or anything, for that matter -- the first chapter hit the stands when I wasn't yet 3). So I eventually got around to it, but DCCP 38 was probably the first time I'd seen the character.

Captain Comics said:

The Crimson Avenger was in the Seven Soldiers of Victory story in Justice League of America #100-102. Y'all didn't read that one?

There's also a Crimson Avenger II who is female and kind of a Spectre Jr. She avenges something or other with mystical guns that belonged to Lee Travis. The Earth-2 version is both female and named Lee Travis. Anyway, she's popped up here and there. 

ClarkKent_DC said:

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

He wrote some amazing stories. One of the best is "Whatever Happened to the Crimson Avenger," a backup story in DC Comics Presents. In 8 pages, it delivered an unexpected punch -- one that stayed with me, despite it starring a character I might not have ever seen before.

That was the first, last, and only story I've ever read featuring the Crimson Avenger, but it's stayed with me, too. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service