Story.

The Patty Duke Show Theme

Another star fallen. I used to watch The Patty Duke Show all the time when I was tiny.  Shame.

Views: 379

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was never a fan of the show Roseanne, but the Good Mrs. Benson was, so there were times when I watched it.  I have to admit, after the show hit its stride, it got quite clever in turning the closing credits into cute little vignettes.

The best of these, at least, for me, was the send-up it did on the opening credits to The Patty Duke Show, making fun of the fact that two different actresses portrayed the lead characters' elder daughter, Becky.  (You can see it for yourself by going to YouTube and entering "Identical Beckys" in the search engine.)  Of course, it tickled me to watch it, but I absolutely howled when, following their depiction of the famous "mirror" scene from Patty Duke, this jump cut was inserted:

The bit was well-constructed, but adding William Schallert is what made it.

I always loved William Schallert's voice.

Commander Benson said:

Luke Blanchard said:

What if their fathers were identical twins who married identical twins?

It would still be virtually impossible for their offspring to be identical to each other---as explained by one of your countrymen (whose learned brain exceeds my lowly noggin):

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2009/05/18/2573698.htm

I always understood the “identical” to be in appearance, not that they were claiming that Patty and Cathy were genetically identical. With their fathers being identical twins, even if their mothers were not related to each other, genetically, they would be half-siblings, and many siblings have a strong physical resemblance to each other.

Commando Cody said:

With their fathers being identical twins, even if their mothers were not related to each other, genetically, they would be half-siblings, and many siblings have a strong physical resemblance to each other.

True, but there's a signficant difference between "strong physical resenblance" and "identical".  As I said, it's not literally impossible for two people who did not stem from the same zygote to be identical, but it's a one-in-a-billion shot---even among offspring of identical twins marrying identical twins.

That is, of course, unless you're Superman, who had natural doubles of himself popping up all the time.

Kenneth Turan, who collaborated with her on her book, has fond memories of her:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-patty-duke-app...

...Okay , I see that my adding on to the " Jackie Cooper " line with my comment inspired by Patty'd death ignored the existence of this line ~ I didn't see it , and , any possible adaptation comics of her movies and TV shows aside , SHE REALLY DIDN'T HAVE MUCH TO DO WITH COMICS (even if TPDS perhaps occasionally had the " hot-dog " one shown holding a CB or something) , so !!!!!!!!!!!

...Mid-60s pop culture IN GENERAL is a , um , " fave rave " subject here --- In many ways , a lot of stuff that I was JUST (If I get self-concious about it , anyway) marginallyteenyweenytinyalittlebit too young to " really " be part of...

ME-TV made this just in time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfVOJcZiH7U

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service