The second season of Riverdale begins Oct. 11.

Views: 388

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like the old Betty Cooper, Betty Cooper comic a bit, only the strange guy was just confused and not actually stalking Jug's dad.

Anyone see this episode yet? Here's a press release:

SOUNDTRACK TO RIVERDALE SPECIAL EPISODE “CARRIE THE MUSICAL” AVAILABLE TODAY

ALBUM FEATURES SONGS FROM THE RIVERDALE CAST

(April 19, 2018 – Los Angeles, CA) WaterTower Music has announced today’s release of the unique full soundtrack to “Carrie The Musical,” a Riverdale episode featuring all new cast performances, which aired on April 18 (8:00–9:00 p.m. ET/PT) on The CW.

Fans who have fallen in love with songs from previous episodes of the show, such as “Mad World,” “Milkshake,” “Candy Girl,” “Kids in America,” and “Bittersweet Symphony” will delight in having a full album of new Riverdale recordings to add to their playlists and music collections.

In addition to today’s digital release of the album, a special, limited edition “blood red” vinyl version of the album will be available exclusively at Urban Outfitters on July 13. The track list is as follows:

In [feat. KJ Apa, Lili Reinhart, Camila Mendes, Madelaine Petsch, Vanessa Morgan, Shannon Purser, Casey Cott, Emilija Baranac, Cody Kearsley, Ashleigh Murray]

Carrie [feat. Madelaine Petsch]
Do Me a Favor [feat. KJ Apa, Lili Reinhart, Camila Mendes, Jordan Calloway]
Unsuspecting Hearts [feat. Ashleigh Murray, Madelaine Petsch]
The World According to Chris [feat. Camila Mendes, Vanessa Morgan, Shannon Purser, Lili Reinhart]

The World According to Chris [feat. Camila Mendes] (Reprise)

You Shine [feat. KJ Apa, Lili Reinhart, Camila Mendes]
You Shine (Reprise) [Bonus Track] [feat. Vanessa Morgan, Madelaine Petsch]
Stay Here Instead [feat. Mädchen Amick, Emilija Baranac]

A Night We’ll Never Forget [feat. KJ Apa, Lili Reinhart, Camila Mendes, Madelaine Petsch, Vanessa Morgan, Shannon Purser, Casey Cott, Emilija Baranac, Cody Kearsley, Ashleigh Murray, Mädchen Amick, Jordan Calloway]

Evening Prayers [feat. Mädchen Amick]

Based on Lawrence D. Cohen’s on-screen adaptation of Stephen King's novel, Carrie The Musical features lyrics by Dean Pitchford and music by Michael Gore. Carrie The Musical was first produced in 1988 by the Royal Shakespeare Company before ultimately making its way to Broadway. It was then revived in 2012 by New York's MCC Theater. Major productions have recently been seen at the Southwark Playhouse in London and the Los Angeles Theatre in Los Angeles, California. In addition to Cheryl Blossom’s role as Carrie, the Riverdale High production includes Archie Andrews as Tommy Ross, Betty Cooper as Sue Snell, Veronica Lodge as Chris Hargensen, Chuck Clayton as Billy Nolan, Alice Cooper as Margaret White, Josie McCoy as Miss Gardner, Toni Topaz as Norma and Ethel Muggs as Helen. The show is directed by Kevin Keller.

About Riverdale – “Carrie The Musical”

As Riverdale High begins rehearsals for its upcoming production of “Carrie The Musical,” the arrival of an ominous letter forces director Kevin (Casey Cott) to make a difficult decision about the show. Jughead (Cole Sprouse) uses his cover as the musical’s documentarian to solve the mystery behind the letter. Meanwhile, tensions between Betty (Lili Reinhart) and Veronica (Camila Mendes) continue to escalate just as Alice (Mädchen Amick) announces she is joining the musical to spend more time with Betty. Elsewhere, Hiram (Mark Consuelos) enacts a devious plan to further drive a wedge between Fred (Luke Perry) and Archie (KJ Apa), while Cheryl (Madelaine Petsch) channels Carrie White during a showdown with her mother. Marisol Nichols, Ashleigh Murray and Skeet Ulrich also star. The episode is directed by Jason Stone and written by Arabella Anderson & Tessa Leigh Williams.

Based on the characters from Archie Comics and produced by Berlanti Productions (The Flash, Supergirl, Blindspot, Everwood) in association with Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios, Riverdale is a bold, one-hour drama that offers a subversive take on the surreality of small-town life. The series airs Wednesdays (8:00–9:00 p.m. ET/PT) on The CW.

We watched the Carrie musical episode. I didn't realize that the musical dated back to 1988. This episode made me think of seeing it on stage one day.

They did an interesting thing in that some of the characters sang lines before and after the actual musical they were doing. Archie (KJ Apa) was the only one whose voice wasn't quite up to it, IMO. There was a recasting late in the episode that resulted in the apparent death of a regular cast member, courtesy of Black Hood 2.0 

I've mentioned on here that I don't care for musicals. That's not meant to cast shade on those who do; many people enjoy musicals, and more power to them. It's just not my thing.

So it comes as no surprise that I didn't care for the musical Riverdale episode. What did surprise me is that my wife didn't care for it either. Maybe I'm rubbing off on her, because she usually loves Riverdale.

So, as I was ignoring the singing, and the poor actors who were not singing at the moment having to react as if someone singing lines of dialogue to them was not the least bit unusual, I had some time to think about some aspects of Riverdale that I don't get. Maybe I haven't paid close enough attention, and some of you have, and can supply some answers. Or maybe those answers haven't been delivered yet.

OK, so:

1) Did Alice Cooper and F.P. Jones just have an affair?

I knew they had sorta buried the hatchet, especially with the revelation that Alice had once been a Southside Snake and dated F.P. in high school. So in one episode she shows up at F.P.'s trailer and he answers the door and lets her in. It wasn't presented as anything sexy or sneaky. She just showed up, and he let her in. Given all that the Snakes had on their plate, and Alice's recent conversion to wanting to make up for her Snake-hating days, it seems reasonable that they had some adult things to talk about, maybe some apologies to exchange. OTOH, maybe we were supposed to infer an affair. Heck, on this show, we were probably supposed to infer an affair.

And the next time they share the screen, she runs into him at Pop's and he brushes her off. The implication is that this is reminiscent of their high school days, with both of them repeating the mistakes of their youth. (Alice explicitly says this later.)

So, yeah, they probably had an affair. If so, it was the most understated affair in the history of TV, and we don't know why it started or why it ended. Or do we? Does anybody have any light to shed?

2) What is Fred's problem?

I don't know if I posted it here, but my wife will attest that when Chic moved in and Fred moved out, I turned to my wife and said, "Chic isn't Fred's son. He's probably F.P.'s son."

I jumped to these likely plot twists because A) Fred's reaction to Chic was irrational, and B) there had to be some reason why he was turned out and no one ever looked for him again. A cuckoo in the nest explained both things.

It turns out I was half-right. Chic is not Fred's son, but he isn't F.P.'s either.

Which is fine as plot twists go, and I'm mildly interested in who Chic's father is, and what the history is. But only mildly, because I don't like Chic as a character (he is so overtly creepy I can't believe anyone can stand him), and Alice's tolerance of him (and covering up for murder!) makes me dislike her. (I can overlook Betty and Jughead also covering up the murder, because they are teens, and teens are idiots. Adults are supposed to steer them away from bad, emotional decisions, like helping Betty's mother cover up a murder. Shame on you, Alice.)

But these revelations were delivered in a strange, off-hand way that explained nothing and was itself odd.

In a brief, low-volume scene, Alice tells Fred that Chic isn't his. Fred says he always suspected that, but that it didn't matter. Fine. So why did he storm out of the house when Chic moved in? Why not confront Alice in the moment and ask her if Chic is his son? Or, if it doesn't matter, confront her on whatever other reason there might have been for his reaction? Men up and moving out of the house they've been paying the mortgage for is not something done lightly -- it is usually the last step before divorce, as both parties are acknowledging the marriage is over. But that wasn't the case here. I don't know what the case was, unless it was just drama for the sake of drama.

And a couple of episodes ago, Alice tells F.P. that Chic isn't Fred's son. He reacts as I did, with "Am I... ?" and she said no. And scene. So why set up that dynamite, and then pour water over it?

A gun on the mantlepiece that misfires. Red herring, I guess. But one that could have been played up for drama -- see Fred above -- and wasn't. Not going over the top with potential drama is SO not Riverdale.

3) Fred makes me think of Barney Rubble.

Every time I see him. I don't know why. Do you know why? Anyone else have that reaction, or is it just me? I didn't see the live-action Flintstones movie, but I was under the impression Rick Moranis played Fred, not this guy. I'm baffled.

4) What is the deal with Moose and Midge?

Was that Moose getting handsy with Kevin as a running gag during the rehearsal montage? I think it was, but I don't see him often enough to remember. Anyway, I had the impression that Midge didn't know her bf was gay, and yet, he was doing it right in front of her. What's up with that? Are we supposed to assume she does know, but doesn't care? That doesn't really line up with what we've seen before.

Some other quick observations:

* Most of the singing was pretty good. But while the actress playing Cheryl could project and hold a note, she was frequently off-key.

* Boy, Kevin is really lucky to be directing a high school musical where all the students are good-looking, twentysomething thespians with acting, singing and dancing experience.

* Archie gets a jalopy! And there's a reason provided for why a modern kid has one!

* The kids in the musical were wearing legit period clothes. I remember those high-waisted, bell-bottom jeans the girls were wearing from my own salad days. Mainly, I remember no one looks good in them. God, the '70s sucked.

* Not only are all the kids in Carrie: The Musical wildly talented, enthusiastic and experienced singers and dancers -- even the football players! -- but everyone gets a dressing room, even members of the chorus like Ethel.

Captain Comics said:

I've mentioned on here that I don't care for musicals. That's not meant to cast shade on those who do; many people enjoy musicals, and more power to them. It's just not my thing.

Just like the radioactive spider-bite, I see musicals as a type of fiction requiring suspension of disbelief. Some are better than others, like anything else.

Did Alice Cooper and F.P. Jones just have an affair?

I certainly is implied. It has been stated that Chic is not her husband’s child. Maybe he’s F.P.’s kid, like you said. Are you saying they established that he couldn’t be F.P.’s son either? If so, I missed it. I don't think I'm used to hanging closely on every word, no matter how understated, which is why I miss some things.

In a brief, low-volume scene, Alice tells Fred that Chic isn't his. Fred says he always suspected that, but that it didn't matter. Fine. So why did he storm out of the house when Chic moved in?

I got the impression that he thought Chic was a dangerous druggy. If so, wouldn’t he want to stay close to protect them? Storming out seems to be his only character trait.

And a couple of episodes ago, Alice tells F.P. that Chic isn't Fred's son. He reacts as I did, with "Am I... ?" and she said no.
Just because she said no doesn’t make it true.

Fred makes me think of Barney Rubble.
Every time I see him. I don't know why. Do you know why? Anyone else have that reaction, or is it just me? I didn't see the live-action Flintstones movie, but I was under the impression Rick Moranis played Fred, not this guy. I'm baffled.

He does seem feckless.

What is the deal with Moose and Midge?
Was that Moose getting handsy with Kevin as a running gag during the rehearsal montage? I think it was, but I don't see him often enough to remember. Anyway, I had the impression that Midge didn't know her bf was gay, and yet, he was doing it right in front of her. What's up with that? Are we supposed to assume she does know, but doesn't care? That doesn't really line up with what we've seen before.

I missed the rehearsal handsy stuff, but something I saw in a previous episode made me think that Midge knows and it doesn’t matter to her.

Archie gets a jalopy! And there's a reason provided for why a modern kid has one!

Without trying to look it up, I think the appearance of the jalopy is similar to ones shown in the old comics.

Captain Comics said:

3) Fred makes me think of Barney Rubble.

In the live-action Flintstones movie (1994), Rick Moranis played Barney Rubble and John Goodman played Fred. Elizabeth Perkins was Wilma, and in the baldest case of "What in God's name were they thinking?", Rosie O'Donnell played Betty. (She was popular then, that's what I figure.)

The sequel, The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas (2000), was a shabby, bargain basement copy in every respect. As evidenced by the fact that in the first, none other Hollywood royalty, Elizabeth Taylor, played Wilma's mother. For the sequel, they got the poor man's Elizabeth Taylor -- Joan Collins. 

Whoops, I mis-typed. I meant to say "Moranis played Barney." I had looked it up, because if the RIverdale guy had played Barney, that would explain why that thought keeps popping into my had. But it was Moranis. So I dunno. Maybe it's just a vague physical resemblance.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service