Thought I'd put this up just in case anyone wants to talk about the movie. The spoiler flag is there, so feel free to talk openly!

Views: 395

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Google it.

"There are many conflicting reports regarding that period of Galactic history, as many of the records were lost or deliberately obscured by one side or another."

Is that from the Galactic Timeline?

As to the Journal of the Whills,it was in early drafts of Star Wars but didn't make it to the screen. Rogue One brought Whills into the canon, as Chirrut Imwe and Baze Malbus were described as "Guardians of the Whills."

"Is that from the Galactic Timeline?"

I think Bob was just helping me out by explaining (in his own Bob way) the discrepancies between Rogue One and the NPR radio adaptation of Star Wars.

Alan Dean Foster's novelization of Star Wars began with an excerpt from "The Journal of the Whills" which explained how, after Senator Palpatine became Emperor, his rules was buried under layers and layers of bureaucracy and red tape. I don't know how (or even if) that was ever accounted for.

there are some interesting tidbits to be gleaned from those early novelizations of original plans that were eventually over-turned. For example, the reason Obi-wan left Luke with Owen Lars is because Ben and Owen were brothers.

I recall Alan Dean Foster as having done a lot of novelizations over the years. Many novelizations I've seen differ substantially from the final film.

At one point there was a limited number of Star Trek books, and I had them all. There was The Making of Star Trek, The World of Star Trek and a David Gerrold book on Tribbles. Plus, there were adaptations of all the shows by Alan Dean Foster, collected in three thick paperbacks. The Foster stories varied considerably from the shows in some cases, nearly always improving them. The explanation at the time was that he was working from early scripts.

Yes, I cherished those books as well during the dark days of the mid-Seventies of little or no Trek. The Foster books adapted the animated series and he definitely improved upon what made it on-screen. James Blish did the adaptions of the original live action series.

Captain Comics said:

At one point there was a limited number of Star Trek books, and I had them all. There was The Making of Star Trek, The World of Star Trek and a David Gerrold book on Tribbles. Plus, there were adaptations of all the shows by Alan Dean Foster, collected in three thick paperbacks. The Foster stories varied considerably from the shows in some cases, nearly always improving them. The explanation at the time was that he was working from early scripts.

D'oh! You're right, Doc! Got my sci-fi authors mixed up!

doc photo said:

Yes, I cherished those books as well during the dark days of the mid-Seventies of little or no Trek. The Foster books adapted the animated series and he definitely improved upon what made it on-screen. James Blish did the adaptions of the original live action series.

Captain Comics said:

I even know where they are in the vast Hmmm-brary.  Haven't read them since I was Action Lad's age, though.

It looks like the Blu-Ray is coming out soon on this one. Can't wait!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service