Say, Have Any of You Jokers Actually Read Any of These Stieg Larsson Books?

My "Unread Books" pile is down to around twenty, so I'm getting antsy that I'll run out of things to read in the next few days, and these books look like potential candidates for future reading material.  I'm not so much interested in the film(s) right now, although I wouldn't say "never" on that account, either. But for the moment, I would gladly receive opinions on the readability of the books, does anyone here have any.

Thank you, drive through.

Views: 301

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How did you enjoy the second book, The Girl Who Played With Fire?

Well, I just started reading it yesterday, so I'm not very far into it yet. So far, so good, however.

Finished The Girl Who Played With Fire.  Good stuff - a little lengthy, but enjoyable.

I haven't read any of the books, nor seen either version of the movie based on the first book, nor seen the movies based on the other two books.

(Hey, you asked!)

I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that.

ClarkKent_DC said:

I haven't read any of the books, nor seen either version of the movie based on the first book, nor seen the movies based on the other two books.

(Hey, you asked!)

?

Clark's post just reminded me of that little soliloquy from Say Anything...

Ah - never seen - or in fact, heard - of Say Anything.

Finished The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, the last of the three books.  Overall, I enjoyed them, and could even imagine looking at them again.  The characters were interesting, and I enjoyed following the plot twists.  The books were a bit overlong, they could easily have been edited down a bit. Also, one always had the feeling that the heels were a bit outclassed, it was always, "How will the faces beat these guys?", not "Can the faces beat these guys?"  This is not necessarily the end of the world - Doctor Who is pretty much the same way - but it does make it a bit less suspenseful.

I finished the third book last week, and thought I'd return to this thread (hey, better late than never!) I agree that the books were overlong, although not tediously so. I wonder if Larsson might not have taken some editorial direction if they had been published while he was alive. If anyone here is thinking of diving in, I would warn you that the first book (Dragon Tattoo) starts out pretty slowly. We get introduced to the two main characters (plus several others) in a meandering fashion. It's hard to see where the book is going at first, and I know one person at work who bailed on it before it had a chance to engage him. But then it goes like a house on fire to the climax. After that there's about 150 pages of epilogue! It's cool to find out what happens to the characters, but it's an odd dramatic structure.

The other two books have a more conventional structure, and we already know the central characters, so there are no slow introductions. In fact the third book (Hornet's Nest) picks up right where the second left off, in true sequential thriller style. That one also has a fairly lengthy epilogue after the big climax, but it features a surprise climax of its own. I liked the way the whole series broadened in scope as it went. It starts out as what looks like a small story, which doesn't even seem to center around the title character. By the end she is at the center of a national political scandal.

Also, I enjoyed the Swedish setting. There were lots of references to Swedish society and politics, most of which I didn't know. Even the names of people and places had a pleasantly alien tone. It makes me interested in reading more fiction from that part of the world.

Well said Mark. That was an excellent review of the book and the series.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion All in Color for a Dime
"I can't say about that, but Thomas is on record about borrowing certain aspects of…"
47 minutes ago
MethodEng replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I'm almost certain I've posted this one before under a different context, and I probably…"
1 hour ago
doc photo replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion All in Color for a Dime
"I am a day behind on my reading. Regarding Roy's essay - he mentions a Fawcett character…"
1 hour ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"The hallmark of George Pérez is that he always went the extra mile, especially when he…"
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion All in Color for a Dime
"For the ads. 10. "The Second Banana Heroes" by Ron Goulart As with Roy Thomas's…"
2 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"ISSUE #76: (The title means "Adoration of the Earth.") The issue opens with the Phantom…"
2 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"My only concern with "classrooms" is that there might not be enough of them (we might end…"
3 hours ago
Peter Wrexham replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Steve:  Here's the new information to update the top-of-discussion index.  Link to…"
3 hours ago
Peter Wrexham replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Here's the traditional image of Batman with his parents... ...and an unusually different take…"
3 hours ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Little Audrey and her mother"
4 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"THE DISAPPEARANCE OF FLIGHT 412 (1974): "A flight wing of the Air force has been experiencing…"
4 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Batman's father, pre- and post-Crisis."
4 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service