Views: 287

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

'

One for the Doctor Who fans.

According to what I can find, President Eisenhower pushed for legislation to add "under God." It was almost immediately passed and signed into law effective June 14, 1954 (Flag Day). Alaska and Hawaii became the 49th and 50th states in 1959. For a little over a half a year they were selling 49-star flags. Red was a nice and funny guy but apparently not a historian.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Richard Willis said:

Before someone questions the omission of "under God" from the JSA's Pledge of Allegiance, it should be noted that was a McCarthy-era addition to the Pledge.

There are also 48 stars on the flag. I once had a give-away record from Burger King of Red Skelton breaking down the Pledge of Allegiance word by word. He said the words "under God" were added when Alaska and Hawaii became states.

I once had a give-away record from Burger King of Red Skelton breaking down the Pledge of Allegiance word by word. He said the words "under God" were added when Alaska and Hawaii became states.

Red was a nice and funny guy but apparently not a historian.

Red Skelton might very well not have been a historian, but you cannot charge him with that because of his stirring recital of the meaning of the Pledge of Allegiance.  You see, Jeff was misremembering slightly.

Early on in the piece, Red describes his teacher's definition of the word states from the pledge as "individual communities that have united into forty-eight great states."  I mention this only because the statement in question, in part, refers back to it.

Red does not state that the words under God were added to the Pledge of Allegiance at the same time Alaska and Hawaii became states in the Union.  What he says is:

Since I was a small boy, two states have been added to the country, and two words have been added to the Pledge of Allegiance---"under God".

The independent clauses of "two states" and "two words" are juxtaposed, but that the events occurred in close order isn't stated, nor even implied.  Skelton simply states that the two event occurred in the time since he was a small boy.

That would be like me saying, since I was a youth, man has landed on the moon and the Berlin Wall has been torn down.  That doesn't mean they happened at the same time.

“You see, Jeff was misremembering slightly.”

No doubt. Not to make excuses, but I haven’t heard that recording in 45 years. It’s a testament to the speech itself that I remember as much as I do after all this time.

“Since I was a small boy, two states have been added to the country, and two words have been added to the Pledge of Allegiance---‘under God’.”

Now that I read it, these are exactly the words I remember.

I should have thought of this last week, but here's a link to the text and here's a link to the video.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

“You see, Jeff was misremembering slightly.”

No doubt. Not to make excuses, but I haven’t heard that recording in 45 years. It’s a testament to the speech itself that I remember as much as I do after all this time.

“Since I was a small boy, two states have been added to the country, and two words have been added to the Pledge of Allegiance---‘under God’.”

Now that I read it, these are exactly the words I remember.

No worries, my friend, and I didn't mean to sound snarky by elabourating on the point. I wasn't thinking of anything but being thorough in my point, and it didn't occur to me until later that I was putting on too much varnish.

I did not take it that way at all, I assure you. I hate being the source of misinformation, even if it's just a simple misremembrance, and I amhappy to be corrected. Besides, this discussion has given me a reason to look the clip up on YouTube. I just watched it again now and I'm telling you, it brought a tear to my eye and gave me goosebumps. This speech aired in 1969 and the Burger King giveaway I remember probably came out in 1970 when I was 6 years old. Back then the bit at the end about prayer in schools went completely over my head because I had no context for it. I remember hearing it now, but back then I had no idea what he meant.

One of the things I am proudest of about this group is how we don't let bad information sit out there uncorrected, even to spare our considerable egos. That shows great character, and a zeal foe accuracy that would impress any old-fashioned newspaperman.

Captain Comics said:

One of the things I am proudest of about this group is how we don't let bad information sit out there uncorrected, even to spare our considerable egos. That shows great character, and a zeal foe accuracy that would impress any old-fashioned newspaperman.

That's essentially why I got involved in this whole on-line business in the first place, back at the end of the last century, when I was still assigned to Commander, SEVENTH Fleet (who is, and are, having problems of his/its own right now).

It was something I read in one of your old, old on-line columns, Cap---I can't remember if it was a statement you made, or if it came from one of your readers---that was in err, and I felt obliged to step in and correct it. And not just correct it, but also provide the source of my information. It wasn't to show off how smart I was. (In fact, I would have been just as happy if you or someone else had stepped in with the right dope.) But just to get the facts straight.

As I started looking around other comics-related sites, I began to notice incorrect Silver-Age info bandied about on web sites or message boards. The ones that bugged me in particular were message-board posters who posted (incorrect) statements as fact, stating they were going by memory. If one is going to state something as fact (outside of things that fall under judicial notice, of course) then one should research his sources, first. Virtually every time that I've posted a fact in err, it's because I didn't take the time to check it first.

And getting back to the thrust of your comment, Cap, I don't take umbrage in the slightest when someone steps in to point out that I did get something wrong. I am grateful to then have the actual fact(s), for it makes my bank of knowledge stronger in the long run. There have been occasions here when one of you folks has pointed out something I got wrong/overlooked and provided the source of their information; and then subsequently, I have been able to use that person's source as substantiation in another matter.

The point is, no-one here is stupid. Many of us have titles, or initials after our names, and each of us has a healthy dosage of smarts. When one of us makes a mistake, it's because of a all-too-human hiccough: something misremembered or remembered accurately but the source itself was mistaken, or just a plain typo (of the fingers or of the mind). The mutual admiration (and all of the courtesies and deferences and respect that go with it) is one of the strongest assets of this board. It's a given to us; that's why we don't take umbrage at having a misstatement set straight.

At the same time, it's also the reason why, if he's the one doing the correcting, each of us takes pains not to make it appear that he is belittling the one being corrected.

I've said it many times before: that this is a true forum, i.e., a place where people come together to share varying thoughts and opinions without rancour, is the hallmark of this board and all of you.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service