I bought this issue because it had Angel and the Ape on the cover. I was surprised that they weren't the only Silver Age DC comedy characters to show up inside. I've posted a few panels. See if you can recognize or remember them. There may be some I missed. I won't spoil the ending, which features a couple of beloved characters who speak their own language. 

Hoy

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

•  I won't spoil the ending, which features a couple of beloved characters who speak their own language. 

Sugar and Spike, I assume.

• The "phone" panel has WINDY & WILLY aka Maynard G. Krebs and Dobie Gillis from The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis comic based on the TV show which was the inspiration of the Mystery Inc gang in the first place!

Next to them is Scooter from Swing It with Scooter, DC's answer to the British Invasion, looking very Paul McCartney-like!

But I don't know who the guy with the "7" on his shirt or the girl wearing the tie are.

• Thanks for the tip, Hoy! Sholly Fisch is a big SA and AMSA fan, so I'm sure he enjoyed writing that.

The Maniaks are, in fact, singing their big hit song from Showcase #68, lyrics no doubt by E. Nelson Bridwell.

The guy with the 7 (or maybe a Z?) and the girl with the tie are tough ones for sure. Maybe I'll email Sholly (if I've still got his email) and see if he'll spill the beans.

UPDATE: My email for him is out of date, as I feared it would be, so hopefully someone will remember who those two are.

-- MSA

• It was a fun and enjoyable issue.  

• ...I bought the issue but may have lost it before I could read if,  I'm not sure if I bought a replacement or not. 

I wonder if Refnew and Cadwaller-SuperHip.

from JERRY LEWIS and BOB HOPE respectively,  show up. They'd be DC property. 

• This book never disappoints. The next one features the JSA!

• >> I don't know who the guy with the "7" on his shirt or the girl wearing the tie are. <<

It's hard to know for sure since they're not drawn by Henry Scarpelli or Bob Oksner, but I'd guess they're Binky and Debbi, two other headliners from DC's teen humor days.

• Good call! I think you nailed it. I wasn't even thinking in that direction.

1936970732?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936970864?profile=RESIZE_320x320

• That name, Lando, Man of Magic, mentioned by Jerry Lewis Louie Jervis, turns out to be a real Golden Age DC character. I had never heard of him, so I looked him up on the internet. 

Hoy

http://www.toonopedia.com/lando.htm

1936970254?profile=original

• I don't suppose Buzzy, Judy or the Bilko crew made it into this story too, did they?

This reply was deleted.