Secret Empire (SPOILERS)

Secret Empire 0 pulls together threads from several different books which constitute the prologue. They are conveniently laid out here:

I only read the Steve Rogers issue and didn’t really feel like I needed to read the rest to follow what was going on in Secret Empire 0. In Steve Rogers 16 we see Cap’s secret plan start to coalesce as Hydra seeks to reassemble the Cosmic Cube without reawakening Kobik and Zemo appears to kill Bucky.

This brings us to Secret Empire 0 wherein it is outlined that the Cosmic Cube was apparently created by American scientists during the World War II era and used to create the reality that we know as the original Marvel Universe.  Hyrdra’s plan is to use Cap to “undo” that “fake” reality and restore the “true” reality in which Hydra conquers the world.  So they appear to be telling us that the entire Marvel Universe is all just one big EYKIW.

On the other hand, we are still getting the intro text page telling us that Kobik has rewritten reality.  In which case this whole Captain Hydra saga is just one big bad dream that can be Bobby Ewinged out of existence at any time.

In the meantime Nick Spencer has started knocking down the dominos that he has nicely put into place over the last year or so.  This isn’t just a bunch of random stuff thrown together to sell a summer crossover. There appears to have actually been a lot of planning that went into this.

Here’s the way it will unfold going forward:

It doesn't appear that there are too many tie-ins or spin-offs, although I suppose that could change but so far I'm on board for the main series and probably Uprising as well.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'm on board for the main series and the two Captain America series (Steve Rogers' and Sam Wilsons'). Since you didn't read Sam Wilson #21 (my favorite of the two), I will tell you that the cover is a pretty accurate description of the end of the issue: Sam Wilson gives up his Captain America identity.

I read Steve Rogers #16 and Secret Empire #0, and so far I'm guardedly optimistic. I saw the beginning of #0 as a big information dump, but a whole lot did happen by the end of the issue. On thing I appreciated is that it spelled out just what Hydra's philosopy is: the strong should rule the weak for the benefit of all.

Thanks for starting this discussion.

• The latest issue of U.S.Avengers seems to be a tie-in into this.  Steve  comes in and plays mind-games with Bobby Da Costa, asking him if he would obey an order  he didn't like, and implying that as a foreigner, he can't know what's right for America.

Is HYDRA-Steve always this heelish? How can people NOT guess that something is wrong with him?

• l

• Mark S. Ogilvie said:

l

Oh, you do not!  ;)

• The Baron said:

The latest issue of U.S.Avengers seems to be a tie-in into this.  Steve  comes in and plays mind-games with Bobby Da Costa, asking him if he would obey an order  he didn't like, and implying that as a foreigner, he can't know what's right for America.

Is HYDRA-Steve always this heelish? How can people NOT guess that something is wrong with him?

That seems inconsistent with the ones I'm reading. Maybe just a different writer?
  • Sorry, miss-typed.

The Baron said:

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

l

Oh, you do not!  ;)

• Yeah, Al Ewing wrote that one, and Cap was acting...not himself.

Detective 445 said:

The Baron said:

The latest issue of U.S.Avengers seems to be a tie-in into this.  Steve  comes in and plays mind-games with Bobby Da Costa, asking him if he would obey an order  he didn't like, and implying that as a foreigner, he can't know what's right for America.

That seems inconsistent with the ones I'm reading. Maybe just a different writer?
  •   But isn't the whole series about Cap not being himself?  I sometimes wonder if Steve isn't getting the same sort of writing treatment that Wanda got for Disassembled.

Randy Jackson said:

Yeah, Al Ewing wrote that one, and Cap was acting...not himself.

Detective 445 said:

The Baron said:

• I think in the core books -- the ones largely written by Nick Spencer -- Steve will seem in character (or at least, in-character in this adjusted reality). It's the stuff on the periphery where things get dodgy -- possibly because of just a different writer's voice, and sometimes because the folks on the outside might not be as well versed in the minutia of the story. They think they know everything they need to know, but sometimes they have a hard time squaring the circle that, although Cap was now brought up in Hydra, there are some parts of his character that haven't changed. (Some readers have that problem, too, I'm sure.)

When I get around to reading all of this, the only parts I plan on visiting will be the Spencer-written chapters. This is his baby.

• Pulled this from How to Love Comics. I read that Marvel was planning to pull back on the tie-ins for Secret Empire but this actually still looks like kind of a lot to me.  I did see a preview for Secret Warriors that sucked me in though, so I'll probably be getting that.

Secret Empire Reading Order

U.S.Avengers #5 (Opening Salvo)
    Written by Al Ewing. Art by Paco Medina.
    Available from April 19th.

Thunderbolts #12 (Opening Salvo)
    Written by Jim Zub. art by Jon Malin.

Captain America: Steve Rogers #16 (Opening Salvo)
    Written by Nick Spencer. Art by Kevin Libranda, Yıldıray Çınar and Jon Malin.

Secret Empire #0 (of 9)
    Written by Nick Spencer. Art by Daniel Acuña.

Secret Empire Free Comic Book Day (Prelude)
    Written by Nick Spencer. Art by Andrea Sorrentino.
    Available from May 6th.

Secret Empire #1 (of 9)
    Written by Nick Spencer. Art by Steve McNiven.
    Available from May 3rd.

Secret Warriors #1 (tie-in)
    Written by Matt Rosenberg. Art by Javier Garrón.
    Available from May 10th.

Secret Empire #2 (of 9)
    Available from May 17th.

U.S.Avengers #6 (tie-in)
    Available from May 17th.

Ultimates 2 #7 (tie-in)
    Written by Al Ewing. Art by Travel Foreman.
    Available from May 17th.

Captain America: Steve Rogers #17 (tie-in)
    Written by Nick Spencer. Art by Andres Guinaldo.
    Available from May 24th.

The Mighty Captain Marvel #5 (tie-in)
    Written by Margaret Stohl. Art by Ramon Rosanas.
    Available from May 24th.

Secret Warriors #2 (tie-in)
    Available from May 24th.

Secret Empire #3 (of 9)
    Available from May 31st.

Secret Empire: Uprising #1 (tie-in)
    Written by Derek Landy. Art by J. Cassara.
    Available from May 31st.

Captain America: Sam Wilson #22 (tie-in)
    Written by Nick Spencer. Art by Sean Izaakse.
    Available from May 31st.

Doctor Strange #21 (tie-in)
    Written by Dennis Hopeless. Art by Niko Henrichon.
    Available from May 31st.

Deadpool #31 (tie-in)
    Written by Gerry Duggan. Art by Matteo Lolli.
    Available from May 31st.

Secret Empire: Underground (tie-in)
    Written by Jeremy Whitley. Art by Eric Koda.
    Available from June 7th.

Secret Empire: Brave New World #1 (of 5) (tie-in)
    Written by Paul Allor, Jeremy Whitley and Nick Kocher. Art by Brian Level, Diego Olortegui and Will Robson.
    Available from June 7th.

Secret Empire #4 (of 9)
    Written by Nick Spencer. Art by Leinil Francis Yu.
    Available from June 14th.

Secret Empire: United (tie-in)
    Written by Jim Zub. Art by Ario Anindito.

Captain America: Sam Wilson #23 (tie-in)
    Written by Nick Spencer. Art by Joe Bennett.

Secret Warriors #3 (tie-in)

Uncanny Avengers #24 (tie-in)
    Written by Jim Zub. Art by Kim Jacinto.

Deadpool #32 (tie-in)
    Written by Gerry Duggan. Art by Matteo Lolli.

Captain America: Steve Rogers #18 (tie-in)
    Written by Nick Spencer. Art by Javier Pina.
    Available from June 21st.

Secret Empire: Brave New World #2 (of 5) (tie-in)
    Written by Paul Allor, Fabian Nicieza and Rodney Barnes. Art by Brian Level, Tana Ford and Juan M. Frigeri.

U.S.Avengers #7 (tie-in)

Doctor Strange #22 (tie-in)
    Written by Dennis Hopeless. Art by Niko Henrichon.

Secret Empire #5 (of 9)
    Available from June 28th.

Amazing Spider-Man #29 (tie-in)
    Written by Dan Slott. Art by Stuart Immonen.

The Mighty Captain Marvel #6 (tie-in)
    Written by Margaret Stohl. Art by Michelle Bandini.

Occupy Avengers #8 (tie-in)
    Written by David F. Walker. Art by Gabriel Hernandez Walta.

All-New Guardians of the Galaxy Annual #1 (tie-in)
    Written by Chad Bowers and Chris Sims. Art by Danilo Beyruth.

*************************More yet to be announced?****************************

Secret Empire #6 (of 9)
    Available from July 12th.

Secret Empire #7 (of 9)
    Written by Nick Spencer. Art by TBA.

Secret Empire #8 (of 9)

Secret Empire #9 (of 9)

This reply was deleted.