Secret Empire 0 pulls together threads from several different books which constitute the prologue. They are conveniently laid out here:

I only read the Steve Rogers issue and didn’t really feel like I needed to read the rest to follow what was going on in Secret Empire 0. In Steve Rogers 16 we see Cap’s secret plan start to coalesce as Hydra seeks to reassemble the Cosmic Cube without reawakening Kobik and Zemo appears to kill Bucky.

This brings us to Secret Empire 0 wherein it is outlined that the Cosmic Cube was apparently created by American scientists during the World War II era and used to create the reality that we know as the original Marvel Universe.  Hyrdra’s plan is to use Cap to “undo” that “fake” reality and restore the “true” reality in which Hydra conquers the world.  So they appear to be telling us that the entire Marvel Universe is all just one big EYKIW.

On the other hand, we are still getting the intro text page telling us that Kobik has rewritten reality.  In which case this whole Captain Hydra saga is just one big bad dream that can be Bobby Ewinged out of existence at any time.

In the meantime Nick Spencer has started knocking down the dominos that he has nicely put into place over the last year or so.  This isn’t just a bunch of random stuff thrown together to sell a summer crossover. There appears to have actually been a lot of planning that went into this.

Here’s the way it will unfold going forward:

It doesn't appear that there are too many tie-ins or spin-offs, although I suppose that could change but so far I'm on board for the main series and probably Uprising as well.

Views: 3174

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Even 2.99 is too much for me right now.  But I don't think it was worth 1.00

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

You read it?

Skimmed on the wrack.  

Detective 445 said:

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

You read it?

Since Waid and Samnee are picking up Cap's book after Secret Empire, and they were the last team to handle Natasha, I'd be very surprised if  there aren't well thought-out reasons behind her death (and whatever comes after). This isn't a team known for slipshod work. 

This week we get an epilogue of sorts with at least one spoiler worthy occurrence so

Secret Empire Omega #1

I was actually pleasantly surprised by this book. There was at least an attempt by Spencer to address a lot of the questions that were left unanswered at the end of Secret Empire. 

• It looks like my guess that the two Caps would be combined was off base as this issue starts off after a time jump and we see Captain America confronting an imprisoned Stevil.  Much of the issue consists of a debate between the two with Stevil doing most of the talking.  It's very well written with Spencer addressing the issue of why some people will buy into a problematic ideology and how a country can become vulnerable to such an ideology.  Without getting too specific or preachy he draws some interesting parallels with what's going on in the current real world political climate.
  • As far as I can tell, it seems that Spencer wants us to accept that this new Captain America is THE Captain America. The same character we've always known and read about.  Not a new or artificially created version. At least that's how he writes him here. And it looks like Stevil may be here to stay as a Marvel villain. So now with Stevil and the Maker we have two villains who are twisted versions of iconic Marvel heroes.  I guess you could add the Maestro in there and make it three.
  • We also gets scenes from the Black Widow's funeral followed by a Bucky sequence that seems to hint that Natasha isn't really dead after all. No explanation of how that could be possible is given.
  • Additionally, we're shown the mutant state of New Tian being demolished by the government and we get a discussion among the mutants that having their own sovereign country may have been a great moment in their history. Doesn't sound like something Professor X would endorse, but then again I haven't read many X-Men comics in recent years.
  • Finally, there's a sequence with the Punisher where he seems to be ticked off that he was manipulated by Stevil and is taking it out on Hydra agents. This seems to gain the favor of Nick Fury who seems to be thinking of recruiting him.

I can't say I'm crazy about everything that was set up here, but I did find this issue to be very thought provoking and well written.  The final page teases Marvel Legacy #1 which is on sale this month.

This is what Nick Spencer has been building toward all these months, and I really liked it. In retrospect, I wish I had avoided the main series and read just the denouement. That’s what I did with the original Civil War: I read (pretty much) just the one-shot in which Iron Man talks to Steve Rogers’ corpse. Secret Empire: Omega has pretty much the same “talking heads” feel. As ‘Tec pointed out, SE:O stands as a metaphor for the current political climate in the United States. I don’t know what’s coming next, but I really, really liked this issue.

After all of this time now he's getting to the point?  Wouldn't it have been better to put this sort of thing in every issue of the event?  

At any rate I think he's burned a lot of bridges and I think a lot of people won't read this issue.  It's a bit too much like a politician proclaiming 'what I meant to say was' after an open mic gaffe.

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

After all of this time now he's getting to the point? 

No, I'd say that the "point" or subtext or underlying metaphor or whatever you want to call it has always been pretty obvious. This comic just addressed some threads that were left dangling at the end of the story.

OK, so they killed off Rick Jones & Black Widow. How soon & what gimmick will they do to bring them back?

Well, that didn't take long. From The Hollywood Reporter:

SEPTEMBER 14, 2017 2:07pm PT

by Graeme McMillan

'Tales of Suspense' Comic Will Explore Life After Death for Marvel's Black Widow

Did the super-spy somehow survive having her neck broken and subsequent burial?

In superhero comic books, it's hard to tell who's actually dead at any given time; with magic, super-technology and clones as part of the everyday landscape, just because a character has been seen to die on the page doesn't mean that they're actually dead. A new Marvel comic book series intends to play on this long-running trope, asking the question: Did the evil Captain America kill Black Widow or not?

Announced Thursday on the ABC News streaming show Inside Marvel, Tales of Suspense will feature both the Winter Soldier and Hawkeye trying to uncover the truth of whether or not Natasha Romanoff actually died when the fascist incarnation of Captain America apparently broken her neck during a fight. Sure, fans saw a funeral for her in this week's Secret Empire Omega issue, but they also saw a murder that seemed to have been committed by Natasha herself happening later.

"She died on national TV, so who’s out killing the people she wanted killed?" editor Alanna Smith asked, introducing the series, which will be written by Matthew Rosenberg, with art by Travel Foreman. "Bucky doesn’t think that it’s her. Hawkeye definitely believes it's her."

Given that Scarlett Johansson will play the character in next year's Avengers: Infinity War, it's fair to say that comic audiences haven't seen the last of her ... but could it be that she was never even dead in the first place?

As with many Marvel titles taking part in the upcoming Marvel Legacy promotion, Tales of Suspense will use "legacy numbering," taking into account previously published issues of a series bearing that name — in this case, the 99 issues published in the 1960s.

As a result, the first issue of the new series will, officially, be Tales of Suspense No. 100. The series launches in December.

Would have made far more sense to have this in the story instead of the epilogue/next event prologue.  We could have seen the reasoning and emotions behind all the personal decisions of the military and political office holders who proved when they went along with Steve that the oaths they took to preserve, protect and defend the constitution are absolutely meaningless.  

Detective 445 said:

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

After all of this time now he's getting to the point? 

No, I'd say that the "point" or subtext or underlying metaphor or whatever you want to call it has always been pretty obvious. This comic just addressed some threads that were left dangling at the end of the story.

Killing a character off really is a lazy way of writing a comic book story.

Captain Comics said:

Well, that didn't take long. From The Hollywood Reporter:

SEPTEMBER 14, 2017 2:07pm PT

by Graeme McMillan

'Tales of Suspense' Comic Will Explore Life After Death for Marvel's Black Widow

Did the super-spy somehow survive having her neck broken and subsequent burial?

In superhero comic books, it's hard to tell who's actually dead at any given time; with magic, super-technology and clones as part of the everyday landscape, just because a character has been seen to die on the page doesn't mean that they're actually dead. A new Marvel comic book series intends to play on this long-running trope, asking the question: Did the evil Captain America kill Black Widow or not?

Announced Thursday on the ABC News streaming show Inside Marvel, Tales of Suspense will feature both the Winter Soldier and Hawkeye trying to uncover the truth of whether or not Natasha Romanoff actually died when the fascist incarnation of Captain America apparently broken her neck during a fight. Sure, fans saw a funeral for her in this week's Secret Empire Omega issue, but they also saw a murder that seemed to have been committed by Natasha herself happening later.

"She died on national TV, so who’s out killing the people she wanted killed?" editor Alanna Smith asked, introducing the series, which will be written by Matthew Rosenberg, with art by Travel Foreman. "Bucky doesn’t think that it’s her. Hawkeye definitely believes it's her."

Given that Scarlett Johansson will play the character in next year's Avengers: Infinity War, it's fair to say that comic audiences haven't seen the last of her ... but could it be that she was never even dead in the first place?

As with many Marvel titles taking part in the upcoming Marvel Legacy promotion, Tales of Suspense will use "legacy numbering," taking into account previously published issues of a series bearing that name — in this case, the 99 issues published in the 1960s.

As a result, the first issue of the new series will, officially, be Tales of Suspense No. 100. The series launches in December.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service