Secret Empire 0 pulls together threads from several different books which constitute the prologue. They are conveniently laid out here:

I only read the Steve Rogers issue and didn’t really feel like I needed to read the rest to follow what was going on in Secret Empire 0. In Steve Rogers 16 we see Cap’s secret plan start to coalesce as Hydra seeks to reassemble the Cosmic Cube without reawakening Kobik and Zemo appears to kill Bucky.

This brings us to Secret Empire 0 wherein it is outlined that the Cosmic Cube was apparently created by American scientists during the World War II era and used to create the reality that we know as the original Marvel Universe.  Hyrdra’s plan is to use Cap to “undo” that “fake” reality and restore the “true” reality in which Hydra conquers the world.  So they appear to be telling us that the entire Marvel Universe is all just one big EYKIW.

On the other hand, we are still getting the intro text page telling us that Kobik has rewritten reality.  In which case this whole Captain Hydra saga is just one big bad dream that can be Bobby Ewinged out of existence at any time.

In the meantime Nick Spencer has started knocking down the dominos that he has nicely put into place over the last year or so.  This isn’t just a bunch of random stuff thrown together to sell a summer crossover. There appears to have actually been a lot of planning that went into this.

Here’s the way it will unfold going forward:

It doesn't appear that there are too many tie-ins or spin-offs, although I suppose that could change but so far I'm on board for the main series and probably Uprising as well.

Views: 2890

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Given that Captain America is now HYDRA and all the other things that have been going on since Disassembled I'm not sure 'evil' is really evil in the mu anymore.  Think of all of the things we've seen the heroes do to each other and everyone else who got in their way.  If nothing else the heroes have shown the super villains to be second rate duds, hardly a threat at all.  In fact I think that's going to one of the hardest things after this event is over and marvel realizes that all of the heroes have fought each other and that there are no more hero/hero battles that are left; they've got to come up with credible super villains again.  I'm not sure they can do that, it'd take a lot for a super villain to top what Tony did in cw1, Carol in cw1 and 2, the X-men in AvX.    I think that a group willing to call itself "The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants" may just be the most honest supergroup to form in quite a while.  No silly excuses about doing it for the greater good, no crocodile tears, just pure villainy because you can't be a good person in an evil world and expect to live comfortably or for very long.  

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"That's why they backed away from the title Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. They just wouldn't call themselves that."

Don't look now but, as of last week's X-Men Gold #2, the Brotherhood has embraced the "evil" again.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Over the weekend I read Captain America #144-148 (among others), Cap thwarts Hydra take-over of U.S.A. I wonder how he "remembers" those events today...?

I like his new costume and shield (and I'm even becoming used to the "wingless" head gear), but I'm afraid it is going to become associated with his "mind control" period. I'm sure he'll get another one post-Secret Empire... propbably his old one with the wings.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see the return of his Nomad persona when this is all over.  IIRC that was the outcome of the original Secret Empire story.

And will Sam return as Captain America?

Or will Bucky get another shot?

Or will it be someone else?

Wasn't that more of a result of Watergate?  I wasn't reading Captain America at the time so I don't really know.

Detective 445 said:

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Over the weekend I read Captain America #144-148 (among others), Cap thwarts Hydra take-over of U.S.A. I wonder how he "remembers" those events today...?

I like his new costume and shield (and I'm even becoming used to the "wingless" head gear), but I'm afraid it is going to become associated with his "mind control" period. I'm sure he'll get another one post-Secret Empire... propbably his old one with the wings.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see the return of his Nomad persona when this is all over.  IIRC that was the outcome of the original Secret Empire story.

"Wasn't that more of a result of Watergate?"

Yeah, it was all tied together. Essentially, the Secret Empire storyline (the end of it, anyway) was Marvel's "Watergate." At least it reflected how Steve Englehart felt about the Watergate scandal.

I read an article the other day that talked about some readers being offended by this story because they believe it somehow indicates that Marvel is endorsing fascism.  I can't really wrap my head around the logic that would lead to someone to believe that.  Are they also endorsing vigilantism because they publish Punisher comics?

But it did make me wonder about what exactly the ideology of Hydra is.  A round of Googling didn't help to pin it down much. It seems clear that this is an organization that wants to control the world. But beyond that it's pretty fuzzy to me. There are various factions of Hydra that have pursued different agendas. Obviously there is a fascist/nazi sector along with offshoots like A.I.M and some others.  But what exactly is Captain Hydra's umm... Hydra all about? Clearly he's not in agreement with the Red Skull's version. We've been given bits and pieces in Kobik influenced flashbacks but I don't feel like it's been fully explained yet. 

The vibe I got was that Kobik also altered HYDRA's basic philosophy so that Cap could theoretically embrace it.

It certainly became older than Nazism.

“But it did make me wonder about what exactly the ideology of Hydra is.”

The introductory page of issue #0 spells out the [current] philosophy of [the current version of] Hydra: the strong should rule the weak for the benefit of all.

"I wouldn't be surprised if we see the return of his Nomad persona when this is all over. IIRC that was the outcome of the original Secret Empire story."

History does have a way of repeating itself.

Which is something of a riff on Camelot's "Might For Right" ideal.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

“But it did make me wonder about what exactly the ideology of Hydra is.”

The introductory page of issue #0 spells out the [current] philosophy of [the current version of] Hydra: the strong should rule the weak for the benefit of all.

Hydra might try to spin it that way.

It's still "Might Makes Right" AFAIAC.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Hydra might try to spin it that way.

It's still "Might Makes Right" AFAIAC.

We kind of live in a culture of spin these days don't we?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service