Secret Empire 0 pulls together threads from several different books which constitute the prologue. They are conveniently laid out here:

I only read the Steve Rogers issue and didn’t really feel like I needed to read the rest to follow what was going on in Secret Empire 0. In Steve Rogers 16 we see Cap’s secret plan start to coalesce as Hydra seeks to reassemble the Cosmic Cube without reawakening Kobik and Zemo appears to kill Bucky.

This brings us to Secret Empire 0 wherein it is outlined that the Cosmic Cube was apparently created by American scientists during the World War II era and used to create the reality that we know as the original Marvel Universe.  Hyrdra’s plan is to use Cap to “undo” that “fake” reality and restore the “true” reality in which Hydra conquers the world.  So they appear to be telling us that the entire Marvel Universe is all just one big EYKIW.

On the other hand, we are still getting the intro text page telling us that Kobik has rewritten reality.  In which case this whole Captain Hydra saga is just one big bad dream that can be Bobby Ewinged out of existence at any time.

In the meantime Nick Spencer has started knocking down the dominos that he has nicely put into place over the last year or so.  This isn’t just a bunch of random stuff thrown together to sell a summer crossover. There appears to have actually been a lot of planning that went into this.

Here’s the way it will unfold going forward:

It doesn't appear that there are too many tie-ins or spin-offs, although I suppose that could change but so far I'm on board for the main series and probably Uprising as well.

Views: 3350

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Captain Comics said:

Do we know why any Avengers are working with Stevil? I fead the FCBD issue, and it showed a number of them. Vision, Scarlet Witch, Odinson one or two others. Do we know?

I'm not reading it either, but I suspect that in the case of Odinson we have a lazy writing thing. Hitler liked the Norse gods so the Norse gods must like Hitler.

There is an Infinity Gauntlet for sale. I've seen it, but never bought it.

It that long-ago issue of Captain Savage they did a clever thing by having Baron Strucker create Hydra. Since he was in the Pacific at the time I believe he used disaffected Japanese soldiers as his first Hydra followers, so I don't know if he was motivated by Naziism or not. Certainly they weren't Aryan.

Stan and Jack's original Hydra, before the origin story, was a costumed version of James Bond's SPECTRE. SPECTRE* was mainly interested in making enormous amounts of money, not ideology.

* SPecial Executive for Counter-intelligence, Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion

In an issue of the Invaders Thor was tricked into working for hitler, but really unless there is mind control involved I don't know if we'll ever know.  It was never gone into why Tigra was Tony's spy in cw1 was it?

Richard Willis said:

Captain Comics said:

Do we know why any Avengers are working with Stevil? I fead the FCBD issue, and it showed a number of them. Vision, Scarlet Witch, Odinson one or two others. Do we know?

I'm not reading it either, but I suspect that in the case of Odinson we have a lazy writing thing. Hitler liked the Norse gods so the Norse gods must like Hitler.

I'm familiar with the Captain Savage version of Hydra's origin. It was later expanded to include Nazis who, like Strucker, were pretty sure Hitler was going to lead Germany to defeat. After the war, Nazis were recruited as well. I'm not sure where I read all of this, but certainly the issue of Uncanny X-Men that took place in late 1940s Israel. That one showed Hydra coming in search of hidden Nazi gold, and meeting resistance from a young Charles Xavier and a young Erik Lensherr, who were present at the founding of the country and worked there afterwards on a kibbutz arm in arm. Strucker was stopped in his attempt by the two mutants, but then Lensherr decided he should have the gold and fight humans, and flew off. That was depicted as the initial break between the two men.

Anyway, whether the original Hydra men were Asians or Medieval power-mongers or whatever they are in the comics now, Hydra has a very definite Nazi style and ideology. They believe in might makes right, and they definitely believe superior people should lord it over inferior ones (those inferiors aren't limited to Jews, Slavs, blacks, the mentally deficient and such like the Third Reich, but the principle is the same). Their ceremonies, as depicted by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, were definitely influenced by Hitler's uniforms, parades and torchlight rallies. 

As Simmons said, "They are all Nazis. Every one. And don't let anyone tell you different."

Richard Willis said:

It that long-ago issue of Captain Savage they did a clever thing by having Baron Strucker create Hydra. Since he was in the Pacific at the time I believe he used disaffected Japanese soldiers as his first Hydra followers, so I don't know if he was motivated by Naziism or not. Certainly they weren't Aryan.

Stan and Jack's original Hydra, before the origin story, was a costumed version of James Bond's SPECTRE. SPECTRE* was mainly interested in making enormous amounts of money, not ideology.

* SPecial Executive for Counter-intelligence, Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion

Wanda and Vision are mind-controlled. Odinson is a victim of "I need to have someone side with Stevil to give him  some legitimacy". I believe the in-story reason is that he has such respect for Steve Rogers tat he hasn't noticed all the crap that's going on.

So they are writing Thor as an idiot for this story?  Afterwards Wanda and Vision can claim mind control, but Thor?

Randy Jackson said:

Wanda and Vision are mind-controlled. Odinson is a victim of "I need to have someone side with Stevil to give him  some legitimacy". I believe the in-story reason is that he has such respect for Steve Rogers tat he hasn't noticed all the crap that's going on.

I don't read any Thor books, but in a couple of the Secret Empire books we've seen an uneasy alliance between Odinson and Stevil. Odinson is depicted as being kind of lost and willing to go along with Stevil because of Stevil's ability to lift Mjolnir. At the same time, Odinson (feels weird calling him that) has gone against orders from Stevil and the two have butted heads.  It seems ridiculous to think that Thor would do any of this stuff but I've been viewing him as a separate character from the one we historically know as Thor anyway.

I won't argue about the Hydra/Nazi connection. Clearly, there's a ton of overlap. However, I do think Spencer has been trying to establish them as a separate fascist entity that predates the nazis and then sort of absorbed the nazi ideology.

Which really and truly makes no sense.

Detective 445 said:

Odinson is depicted as being kind of lost and willing to go along with Stevil because of Stevil's ability to lift Mjolnir.

Horn'd One said:

The only thing out of 'Secret Empire' I picked up was the plastic promotional glow-in-the-dark Cosmic Cube.
Now that I have the 9 Lantern Rings from the Blackest Night event, two of the glow-in-the-dark Watcher's Eyes promotionals from the Original Sin event, I should get something that represents the Inifnity Gems. I'll probably use generic gaming-stones in the right colors.

All of that ordnance would make you the 800-pound gorilla just about anywhere!

How is that a difference?

Detective 445 said:

I won't argue about the Hydra/Nazi connection. Clearly, there's a ton of overlap. However, I do think Spencer has been trying to establish them as a separate fascist entity that predates the nazis and then sort of absorbed the nazi ideology.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service