Short and quirky posts

On another thread, my pal Dave Blanchard wrote:

>Although I've been around here for a good long while, I'm one of those who were "imported" into this Forum following the implosion of Mr. Age's old CBGxtra Forum.

Personally, the threads I read more often and participate in the most are the relatively short ones that play off somebody's observation about a single character or story or some kind of recurring theme, especially the kind of thread that anybody can just pop in and do a drive-by quick comment or add another image playing off previously posted images. Kind of in the spirit of Mr. Age's own fondly remembered CBG column, where he'd focus on some quirky thing he stumbled upon in an old Silver Age comic book, and we'd all chime in with our own take on said quirkiness.

So short and quirky would be the types of posts I'd be most likely to read/comment on, if that's any help.<

I echo what Dave says. Long, highly descriptive threads don't fit my time schedule, and I, too, miss the old CBGXtra forum.

So, in that spirit, here's an image to invite short and quirky responses.

Your pal, Hoy (I haven't used that signature in a while!)

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ahoy, Hoy! 

• Thanks for the almost-impossible-to-explain image, Hoy! Do you remember which story this is from? I'm drawing a blank. Maybe that's my mind's way of dealing with it.

It does seem that Facebook (and phones) have trained us to do quick reads, responses, Likes, and other fast comments rather than read and post for a discussion. I'm glad to have FB for that, and I'm not sure how well that works here. I can Like your first post, but that's it.

I don't really notice that much of a difference in the threads and topics here, although obviously the AMSA Forum at CBG had people with the same perspective and love of those old comics through their interest in my column, and the interest in old comics is more diverse here.

I'm hoping in another month or so to have time to start posting more often. I don't know that reposting my old columns fits today's format. They never got much comment, and, as you note, that isn't what people want to read on their devices now. But we should be able to generate more comment than we do. I know people will respond, we just need to get things going. The material is certainly there!

-- MSA

• I don't know what comic book that came from. I stole it from a Facebook page called Atomic Samba, which posts lots of goofy stuff, including comic book panels and the occasional Ann-Margret gif. Even for Jimmy, it's so goofy I thought it appropriate for this forum.

I'll admit that with the conclusion of DC's Showcase Presents publications, I haven't been reading a lot of Silver Age stories lately. Most of my reprint reads come from the 1940s DC Archives and Marvel Masterworks, and some more recent (pre-21st century!) collections. I am still doing my re-reading project of the Silver Age Marvels in their order of publication, so I may post some thoughts on those in the future as time and interest allow. I'm up to early 1966 now, which to me was the best year of the Marvel Age.

--Hoy

Mr. Silver Age said:

Thanks for the almost-impossible-to-explain image, Hoy! Do you remember which story this is from? I'm drawing a blank. Maybe that's my mind's way of dealing with it.

• Jimmy is such a square! That chick is groovy!

• Police Chief Clancy Wiggum: "Why is it always the pretty ones that are insane?"

• After much searching I've managed to identify it. The story is "The Irresistible Jimmy Olsen!" from Jimmy Olsen #46 (link spoilers warning; the stories are in Showcase Presents: Superman Family #4). The penciller was Curt Swan, and the lovely inking (to my surprise) by John Forte.

• So the "beatnik" beating up on Jimmy is Lucy Lane in disguise. Why was I surprised to learn this?

So here's another one.

Hoy

1936779417?profile=original

• I like this. So the cats were sent along with their masters to keep them company! Were they already evil or did they turn evil and want vengeance?

• And the real question: which Phantom Zone villains do these cats belong to?  Would General Zod be lost without his Major Fluffykins?

• I'm currently reading SP: SUPERMAN FAMILY vol. 4 but I hadn't gotten up to this story yet. That single panel, though, perfectly encapsulates why, when I've been studiously weaning my collection of no-longer-needed comic books for the past decade, I've never once considered tossing any SPJOs into the "get rid of" pile. When it comes to pure, unadulterated whimsy that only a comic book can provide, I always default back to an SPJO issue. Check that: I default back to a Curt Swan-illustrated SPJO. Once the Pete Costanza stuff kicks in... yeesh!

This reply was deleted.