On another thread, my pal Dave Blanchard wrote:

>Although I've been around here for a good long while, I'm one of those who were "imported" into this Forum following the implosion of Mr. Age's old CBGxtra Forum.

Personally, the threads I read more often and participate in the most are the relatively short ones that play off somebody's observation about a single character or story or some kind of recurring theme, especially the kind of thread that anybody can just pop in and do a drive-by quick comment or add another image playing off previously posted images. Kind of in the spirit of Mr. Age's own fondly remembered CBG column, where he'd focus on some quirky thing he stumbled upon in an old Silver Age comic book, and we'd all chime in with our own take on said quirkiness.

So short and quirky would be the types of posts I'd be most likely to read/comment on, if that's any help./p>

I echo what Dave says. Long, highly descriptive threads don't fit my time schedule, and I, too, miss the old CBGXtra forum.

So, in that spirit, here's an image to invite short and quirky responses.

Your pal, Hoy (I haven't used that signature in a while!)

Views: 4174

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Luke wrote:

>> I have a lot of time for Oksner, Novick and Grandenetti, but I'm not very familiar with their work of the early 60s. Novick would be my first pick of the three.

Novick was doing mostly DC war comics in the early 1960s, and I really don't know much about Grandenetti's career to know what he was doing then, but man oh man, the early 1960s were the heyday of the peerless Bob Oksner, especially if you liked humor comics. You could find him just about every issue on DC's Big Three humor comics of the period: ADVENTURES OF BOB HOPE, ADVENTURES OF JERRY LEWIS and MANY LOVES OF DOBIE GILLIS. Oksner did just about every issue of JERRY LEWIS (dating back to when the title included DEAN MARTIN), and picked up BOB HOPE about midway through the run (replacing, I believe, Owen Fitzgerald, though the great Mort Drucker also did some issues), and co-created Super-Hip and the Faculty of Fear with Arnold Drake. He also drew all 26 issues of DOBIE GILLIS (and redrew several of them for the short-lived WINDY & WILLY). He did a ton of other great stuff, too, but those three comic books are probably what he's best known for. He was one of the all-time best comic book artists.

Here is a trio of covers by Bob Oksner after he made the transition to superheroes after the humor genre dried up. A very versatile artist..

It's less that he was so versatile and more that he drew superb women, especially interesting and different faces. He also did a stint on Supergirl's Adventure Comics, where it's even easier to see his forte.

-- MSA

I just found this article -- "The Many Loves of Bob Oksner" -- on the web. It's a fabulous career retrospective of Oksner's entire career, focusing (of course) on his good-girl art.

That's a pretty cool site. That's by far the most Oksner artwork I've ever seen in one place. I'm going to have to spend some time looking at that. A lot of interior pages, too. Thanks for posting it. I was amused that the guy (Melvin) in the Soozi comic strip bears an amazing resemblance to Jerry Lewis.

-- MSA

I believe Bob Oksner drew some Mary Marvel stories for SHAZAM!

Edited: Yep!

He drew her cute and sexy!

Looking at the Bob Oksner retrospective, I was reminded that Dobie Gillis changed from blond hair to brown hair both in the comics and on TV.

They had Dwayne Hickman change his hair from brown to blond for The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis. From IMDB:

"To differentiate Dobie Gillis from Chuck McDonald, the character Dwayne Hickman played on The Bob Cummings Show (1955), Max Shulman and Fox required Hickman to dye his dark brown hair blond. Their concern was that the sponsors would feel audiences would confuse Dobie with Chuck, a character on a different series with different sponsors. Continually bleaching his hair caused Hickman to suffer hair loss and blisters on his scalp, and after appealing to the producers, he was allowed to stop bleaching his hair after the first season."

When his hair reverted to brown it was reflected in the comic.

The blond hair had one lasting effect: Freddie from Scooby-Doo was blond, being patterned after Dobie.

Oksner was one of Curt Swan's best inkers. He and Murphy Anderson are my two favourites.

After searching for a Cave Carson Brave & Bold cover, I looked at that "Showcase" period of B&B and now realize that it switched to team-ups because of its poor success rate!

The only try-out that got its own title was Justice League of America and that was neither a surprise nor a risk!

Both the Suicide Squad (original version) and Cave Carson got two runs each in B&B and never graduated to their own book. If it wasn't for the excellent Post-Crisis, reimagined series, the Suicide Squad would have been mostly forgotten. And Cave Carson was mostly forgotten until Marv Wolfman brought Cave and Rick Flagg back for the Forgotten Heroes just before the Crisis.

Strange Sport Stories got an unheard-of FIVE issue run but gave us nothing but fond memories!

Hawkman was an unique case as the Winged Wonder did receive two separate B&B runs but failed to get his own book. Only when he was briefly in Mystery In Space with a new artist (Murphy Anderson) did he get his solo title which had the shortest run of the five Julius Schwartz revivals!

Ironically, the only solo feature after the team-ups began was Metamorpho the Element Man who got his book as well!

DC management seemed to have an inexplicable confidence in Strange Sports.

As a kid I was a nerd, and not into sports at all, strange or otherwise. I suspect that was not a unique attitude among comic book readers in the 1960s -- we readers who were the few, the proud, the bespectacled.

But DC thought there was an audience out there who were equal parts SF fans and sports fans. They kept trying and trying, despite poor sales.

That's true, Captain!

"Strange Sports Stories" took over three issues of DC Special with #7 (Ju'70), #9 (D'70) and #13 (Au'71) which reprinted a lot of the B&B stories plus other sports-themed SF tales! 

That led to the short-lived though all-new Strange Sports Stories #1-6 (O'73-Au'74).

And there was a Vertigo series, too a few years back!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service