Showcase Presents 2013-2014 update

It's been a while since I've listed future Showcase Presentses from Amazon and other sources, and there have been a lot of changes, mostly delays, since the last one I posted in December 2012. Here's the latest I can find as of this date, 5/6/13:

Showcase Presents Superman Family Vol. 4

Available May 14, 2013

520 pages

In these oddball stories from the start of the 1960s, Jimmy Olsen meets Tom Baker, Power Lad, an army of miniature Supermen, and Jimmy becomes "The Fat Boy of Metropolis," "Super Jimmy," "The Giant Turtle Man of Metropolis," and a wolfman. Lois Lane, meanwhile, marries Astounding Man, imagines married life with Superman, complete with super-twins, gains super powers and battles a super-powered Lana Lang.

Showcase Presents DC Comics Presents - Superman Team-Ups Vol. 2

Available July 23, 2013

568 pages

Superman battles for justice alongside DC's greatest heroes including Martian Manhunterm Supergirl, The Spectre, Black Canary, Robin, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Aquaman and many more in this massive, value-priced title.

Showcase Present Unknown Soldier Vol. 2

Publish Date July 2013

592 pages

Assuming a wide variety of disguises to battle the Nazis in World War II, the Unknown Soldier plunges deep behind enemy lines in this massive SHOWCASE edition, collecting stories that have not been reprinted since they were first published in the 1970s.

Showcase Presents House of Secrets Vol. 3

Publish Date September 2013

528 pages

This massive, value-priced collection reprints strange tales of mystery from the 1970s for the first time.

Showcase Presents: Strange Adventures Vol. 2

Available Dec. 24, 2013

520 pages

A massive new collection of science fiction tales from the 1950s, none of which have ever been collected before.

Showcase Presents Men of War

Available Jan. 28, 2014

496 pages

These tales of war originally published in the late 1970s star Enemy Ace, DC's German fighter pilot from World War I, and a new war hero: Codename Gravedigger, an African American soldier who goes undercover behind enemy lines. Collects MEN OF WAR #1-26, the entire series.

Showcase Presents Jonah Hex Vol. 2

Available Feb. 25, 2014

544 pages

The 1970s adventures of Western bounty hunter Jonah Hex continue in this new, value-priced Showcase edition collecting Jonah Hex #1-22 and Weird Western Tales #34-38.

Showcase Presents the Great Disaster featuring The Atomic Knights

Release Date Feb. 25, 2014

576 pages

In these stories, a variety of heroes including the Atomic Knights, Kamandi, Hercules and many others must face a post-apocalyptic future brought about by the mysterious "Great Disaster."
Collects stories from STRANGE ADVENTURES #117, 120, 123, 126, 129, 132, 135, 138, 141, 144, 147, 150, 153, 156 and 160, 1st ISSUE SPECIAL #1, HERCULES UNBOUND #1-10, KAMANDI #43-46, WEIRD WAR TALES #22, 23, 30, 32, 40, 42-44, 46-49, 51-53, 64, 68, 69 and 123, HOUSE OF MYSTERY #318, SUPERMAN #295, HOUSE OF SECRETS #86, 95 and 97, THE UNEXPECTED #215 and 221, and AMAZING WORLD OF DC COMICS #12.

The schedule looks heavy on genre and light on the super-heroes, and there are some barren months. I doubt that any but the first couple come out according to this schedule.

Hoy

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I hope they re-release Jonah Hex volume 1. I can't find a copy for list price!

• Thanks, Hoy.

• Men of War and Unknown Soldier are on my list.

(and thanks Hoy!)

• I didn't follow Men of War first time around, but am intrigued by the notion of a batch of Enemy Ace stories I've never read. To anyone who's familiar with them: How do these play, minus Kubert as the artist? I've also come to appreciate Grandenetti's work more than I did at the time, so I may get this one. And, browsing the covers at GCDB, I discovered a rarity -- a cover (#24) pencilled by Joe Kubert, but inked by Dick Giordano.
  • I'm up for all of them except maybe House of Secrets because I couldn't read more than a couple of stories without losing interest from the previous volumes.

FINALLY, we get second volumes of Jonah Hex and Unknown Soldier!

Maybe, possibly Scalphunter next? The western Johnny Thunder? Silent Knight? Short-lived hero strips like Animal Man, Ultra, Enchantress, B'Wana Beast collected in one volume?

• an African American soldier who goes undercover behind enemy lines.

Is this in World War Two?

[Raises eyebrows.]

• I thought DC Comics Presents vol 1 read like a series of standby scripts, that mostly felt lacking any weight or consequence, despite some fun art by iconic 70s whatsisface.

Strangely enough, though, I'm looking forward to getting and reading the sequel.

Light and inconsequential superheroics from when you were 10 is just the ticket sometimes...

Superman Family tends to be absurdly readable too.

• Yes, it was.  I remember getting one of these in one of those 3-packs.

Figserello said:

an African American soldier who goes undercover behind enemy lines.

Is this in World War Two?

[Raises eyebrows.]

• Hey, Kinch did it all the time in Hogan's Heroes.  And Barney Collier carried on the tradition in the '60's.

I'm just sayin' ...   :)

• Thanks, Hoy!

I hope they re-release Jonah Hex volume 1. I can't find a copy for list price!

Set up an eBay search to let you know when they're posted. They don't seem to be plentiful, but they're available: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Showcase-Presents-Jonah-Hex-Volume-1-/40...

As continuations of existing series, most people probably know which ones of these they want to get. I'm probably in for Hex, possibly for SA, MOW and US. I'd definitely get SF #4 if I didn't already have all the issues.

I think the line-up is getting light on super-heroes (with only two) because they're running out of those and sales must be dwindling from previous volumes. A volume of short-lived heroes or early B&B heroes might be interesting, but I'm not sure the audience is there. Those mostly didn't survive because they just weren't interesting enough.

-- MSA

This reply was deleted.