Just when I thought DC was dropping its SP schedule, here we go with some unusual and overdue choices for 2012. Looks like a good first quarter!

Showcase Presents: The Spectre Vol. 1
January 18, 2012
592 pages
$19.99

Written by GARDNER FOX, MICHAEL FLEISHER and others
Art by MURPHY ANDERSON, NEAL ADAMS, JIM APARO and others
Cover by APARO • On sale JANUARY 18 • 592 pg, B&W, $19.99 US
Don’t miss these grim tales of vengeance from the pages of SHOWCASE #60, 61 and 64, THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD #72, 75, 116, 180 and 199, THE SPECTRE #1-10, ADVENTURE COMICS #431-440, DC COMICS PRESENTS #29 and GHOSTS #97-99.

Showcase Presents: Young Love Vol. 1
February 22, 2012
544 pages
$19.99

Written by VARIOUS • Art by VARIOUS • Cover by JAY SCOTT PIKE
DC’s popular romance series is collected for the first time in this title reprinting YOUNG LOVE #39-56, featuring art by John Romita, Mike Sekowsky, Don Heck, Gene Colan, Jay Scott Pike and others.

Product Description
DC's popular romance series, YOUNG LOVE, is collected for the first time in this massive, value-priced collection. This title features the work of artists who would go on to greater fame drawing super-hero adventures in the 1960s, including John Romita, Mike Sekowsky, Don Heck and Gene Colan. Stories include:

"No Cure for Love"
"Fearful Heart"
"Double Heartbreak"
"Every Beat of His Heart"
"Afraid of Love"
"Believe It or Not, It's Love"

Showcase Presents: Losers Vol. 1
March 21, 2012
432 pages
$19.99

Written by ROBERT KANIGHER • Art by RUSS HEATH, ROSS ANDRU, MIKE ESPOSITO, KEN BARR and JOHN SEVERIN • Cover by JOE KUBERT
Collected from G.I. COMBAT #138 and OUR FIGHTING FORCES #123- 150, Captain Johnny Cloud, Captain Storm, Gunner Mackey and Sarge Clay – team up as The Losers. Even though these heroes always won in the end, they had to do everything the hard way!

Showcase Presents: All-Star Squadron Vol. 1
April 24, 2012
528 pages
$19.99

Product Description
A new super-team, the All-Star Squadron, has been founded on Earth II in the hopes of finding several lost heroes from the Justice Society of America. But the JSA's old foe Per Degaton is plotting to help with the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Can the team stop him from delivering mystic weapons to Hitler and Tojo?

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for tracking those down, Hoy! That's a pretty impressive line-up!

I'll probably be buying two of those (I have all the Spectres), which is a pretty good showing at this stage of the game. Of course, to some extent, they're dipping pretty deep into what's left of the SA, which is where I have more gaps.

I'm especially interested in the Young Love volume, as it may imply other genres could be coming too. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

-- MSA

• What he said. I have all the Spectres, looking forward to the other two, want more genres represented, keeping fingers crossed.

I wish they'd finish the Spectre Archives, though!

• I have all the Spectres, too, but I'll buy this to have them all in one place. Otherwise, they're scattered across a bunch of different titles and that makes them harder to dig out of the boxes.

I'll buy Young Love for the curiosity factor, and my wife will probably read it, too. Romance comics were the only kind she read growing up, and she still has a box of them in the attic.

The one I'm looking forward to reading is The Losers (or, as it's called on the Internet, The Looser's) because I've never read those, and Kanigher was a great war comics writer. I've read the Kirby version, which I'm told has little connection to these stories. I was hoping we'd get some stories of the individual characters before this collection, but I'll take what I can get at this point.

Hoy

• I don't see myself buying the Young Love Showcase, but the other two could be quite good.
  • DC's Young Love continued the numbering of the Prize title. The DC series began in 1963 and was a bimonthly until the 70s. For its first couple of years its contents included an ongoing feature, "Mary Robin, R.N.", drawn by John Romita.

• The Spectre one looks like fun, fun, fun.  I already have the notorious Aparo issues.

I'd like to get the opportunity to read some of the Young Love stories sometime, but don't think I'd pay for a whole volume.

What a great cover on the Losers book!  Any guesses as to which volume the Kirby issues might appear in if this vol starts with their first appearance and they continued the SP series?

• According to the Grand Comics Database, The Losers began in Our Fighting Forces #123. Since the stories ran about 14 pages, I'm guessing this SP will reprint the whole run up until the first Kirby issue, #151. The 12 Kirby issues were reprinted in color and in hardback a couple of years ago, and they are wonderful. That leaves 19 issues before the series was canceled, but those hit the reprint barrier of 1976 - 1978, so it's doubtful we'll ever see those last ones reprinted.

Hoy1936049161?profile=RESIZE_320x320

• I've heard so much good stuff about the Aparo issues of The Spectre that I will be buying that one.

And New Frontier made me love the Losers, so I'll be buying that one too. It's been so long since I've bought one of these sweet volumes!

• I've got another collection of the Aparo issues of The Spectre from 1988, titled Wrath of the Spectre!, which includes a previously unseen tale -- a script that Michael L. Fleischer wrote back then that, for some reason or another, was shelved. They got Aparo to draw it just for that four-issue set. Good stuff! See some samples here.
  • Saaaay, I've got those, too. Now I know why I bought them! (Wondered about that when I ran across them while rebagging/reboxing DCs.)

Also, how long was the DC run on Young Romance? The description kinda makes it sound like the entire run -- so it might be the entire DC run, if that's possible.

This reply was deleted.