Showcase Presents schedule for (most of) 2013

I started a similar thread several months ago, but I'm starting this new one because Amazon has listed a bunch of additional SPs for 2013, and I think it would be convenient to have them all here.

These are Amazon release dates, so they normally show up a week or two earlier in local comic book shops and book stories.

It's a pretty good mix of genres. Included in the new list are a couple that we thought we wouldn't see, because they break through the supposed mid-1970s (and post-Silver Age) reprint barrier. Still no Bob Hope or Jerry Lewis, though.

Hoy

Showcase Presents: Weird War Tales Vol. 1
January 2, 2013
$19.99
576 pages (!)
In this value-priced collection, war stories turn creepy as soldiers face ghostly foes, haunted weapons and much more.

A value-priced collection from WEIRD WAR TALES #1-21!

Showcase Presents: Justice League of America Vol. 6
February 27, 2013
$19.99
528 pages
In this new, value-priced collection of stories from the 1970s, the Justice League of America faces foes including Felix Faust, the Shaggy Man, Eclipso, the super-power absorbing robot called Amazo, the Injustice Society, and more. Also, the team welcomes new members including The Phantom Stranger and the Elongated Man. Plus, the JLA joins forces with the Freedom Fighters, a
team from an Earth where the Axis won World War II.

Collects JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #107-132.

Showcase Presents: Sgt. Rock Vol. 4
March 27, 2013
$19.99
520 pages
Over 500 pages of classic adventures are included in this value-priced volume!
War is hell -- and no one knows that better than Sgt. Rock and the fighting men of Easy Company. These classic tales of World War II take readers deep behind enemy lines, where Easy Company never has it easy -- because battle can break out at any moment. These hard-hitting tales star the man they call Rock and the colorful members of his platoon, including Wildman, Ice Cream Soldier, Bulldozer and more, as they face the enemy in one hopeless situation after another.
In these tales, Sgt. Rock and Easy Company face the specters of battlefield cowardice and the death of an observer, meets ace pilot Johnny Cloud, is taken prisoner by German forces, and leads a new team of youthful soldiers into action.

Collects OUR ARMY AT WAR #181-216.

Showcase Presents: Superman Family Vol. 4
April 3, 2013
$19.99
520 pages
In these oddball stories from the start of the 1960s, Jimmy Olsen meets Tom Baker, Power Lad, an army of miniature Supermen, and Jimmy becomes "The Fat Boy of Metropolis," "Super Jimmy," "The Giant Turtle Man of Metropolis," and a wolfman. Lois Lane, meanwhile, marries Astounding Man, imagines married life with Superman, complete with super-twins, gains super powers and battles a super-powered Lana Lang.

Collecting SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN #45-53 and SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE #17-26.

Showcase Presents: Strange Adventures Vol. 2
April 17, 2013
$19.99
520 pages
A massive new collection of science fiction tales from the 1950s, none of which have ever been collected before.

Collects STRANGE ADVENTURES #74-93.

Showcase Presents: DC Comics Presents - Superman Team-Ups Vol. 2
June 4, 2013
$14.99
144 pages (!) (This has got to be an error)
Superman battles for justice alongside DC's greatest heroes including Martian Manhunterm Supergirl, The Spectre, Black Canary, Robin, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Aquaman and many more in this massive, value-priced title.

Showcase Presents Unknown Soldier Vol. 2
July 2, 2012
$19.99
592 pages (!)
Assuming a wide variety of disguises to battle the Nazis in World War II, the Unknown Soldier plunges deep behind enemy lines in this massive SHOWCASE edition, collecting stories that have not been reprinted since they were first published in the 1970s.

Collects: STAR SPANGLED WAR STORIES #189-204 and UNKNOWN SOLDIER #205-219

Showcase Presents: Jonah Hex Vol. 2
August 6, 2013

$19.99
544 pages
The 1970s adventures of Western bounty hunter Jonah Hex continue in this new, value-priced Showcase edition collecting Jonah Hex 1-22 and Weird Western Tales 34-38.

Showcase Presents: House of Secrets Vol. 3 (pulled from Amazon's listings)
September 3, 2013
$19.99
528 pages
This massive, value-priced collection reprints strange tales of mystery from the 1970s for the first time.

Also of possible interest:

Wonder Woman: The Amazon Princess Archives Vol. 1
February 27, 2013
$75
352 pages
No Amazon description, but this starts reprinting the Silver Age Wonder Woman stories with #98.

The Metal Men Archives Vol. 2
March 6, 2013
$75
400 pages
One of the most colorful super-hero teams of the early 1960s, the Metal Men are six shape-shifting robots whose personalities are based on their metals: Hot-tempered Mercury, timid Tin, thick-headed Lead, etc. Invented by eccentric scientist Dr. Will Magnus, the team is ready to give their all - including their artificial lives - to protect mankind.
In these tales, never before reprinted in color, the Metal Men take on the Gas Gang, including Helium, Oxygen, Chloroform and more, save lives at the "Playground of Terror," try to stop the deadly rain of "The Missile Men," and battle Chemo, a giant, human-shaped vat filled with deadly chemicals.

DC Universe Secret Origins (paperback)
April 3, 2013
$24.99
328 pages
The classic Silver Age titles are collected in softcover for the first time, including "Secret Origins" numbered 1, "More Secret Origins" numbered 1, "Even More Secret Origins" numbered 1, and "Weird Secret Origins" numbered 1! Don't miss the origins of "Wonder Woman", the Superman/Batman team, "The Challengers of the Unknown", "Martian Manhunter", "the Justice League of America", "Aquaman", "The Flash", "The Atom", "Bizarro", and more!

The Justice League of America Chronicles Vol. 1
May 28, 2013
$14.99
168 pages
The first and earliest adventures of the Justice League of America told in chronological order! Learn how Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Flash, and Aquaman teamed together for the first time to battle the threat of the intergalatic conquerer Starro!

The Silver Age Teen Titans Archives Vol. 2
June 19, 2013
$75
400 pages
The top teen heroes of the 1960s return in a new collection in DC's high-quality Archive Editions! Don't miss the action as the Titans -- Robin, Aqualad, Wonder Girl, Kid Flash and more -- take on The Mad Mod, Captain Rumble and The Scorcher, and get wrapped up in "The Dimensional Caper" and "A Swingin' Christmas"!

The Captain Comet Archives Vol. 1
August 21, 2013
$75
400 pages
Captain Comet, born with an amazing intellect, photographic memory, incredible athletic skills and mental powers including telekinesis, battles for the safety of the future in these amazing stories. Captain Comet battles alien invasions and weird monsters from distant worlds in these stories from DC's classic science fiction series STRANGE ADVENTURES.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'll probably pick up all the Showcases except for House Of Mystery. Not too sure about Strange Adventures either, although I did like vol. 1.

• Hoy Murphy wrote:
    "Showcase Presents: Superman Family Vol. 4
    March 26, 2013
    $19.99
    520 pages
    In these oddball stories from the start of the 1960s, Jimmy Olsen meets Tom Baker, "

Oh, if only it were true. Jimmy not only Superman's Pal but a companion to the Fourth Doctor. They wouldn't even need to travel to alien worlds, Jimmy could have been an alien all by his lonesome. ;)

Sadly, there isn't much of a draw for me here. I likely will pick up the SP: DC Comics Presents. Having the JLA Archives I will pass on the Justice League of America Chronicles, likewise I have the original issues covered in the latest SP:Justice League of America and I would have picked up a Showcase Presents Captain Comics, er sorry, Comet but an Archives is more than I am willing to stretch to. NOW, if it had been a Johnny Quick Archives, THAT might have been a different story ;)
  • Thanks for posting this, Hoy.

Put me down as very disappointed that DC doesn't seem to be continuing the "Showcase Presents: Superman" series, though I'll probably buy the "Superman Team-ups" if it's offered at a reasonable price and size.

The page count and price on that one makes me wonder if it might be the first "Showcase Presents" printed in full color, but you're probably right that it's most likely erroneous.  

• Hoy Murphy Said:
    "Showcase Presents: DC Comics Presents - Superman Team-Ups Vol. 2
    June 4, 2013
    $14.99
    144 pages (!) (This has got to be an error)
    Superman battles for justice alongside DC's greatest heroes including Martian Manhunterm Supergirl, The Spectre, Black Canary, Robin, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Aquaman and many more in this massive, value-priced title."

This MAY not be a mistake. Keep in mind that at the time the backup feature "Whatever happened to" was running & took up half the page count & given the reduced page count the "value-price" would seem appropriate. Personally, I would like to see those "Whatever happened to" collected.
  • Thanks for finding these, Hoy! I think the Captain Comet Archives is really encouraging. Like John, I would've preferred an SP edition of these, but I imagine the labor involved in prepping them probably dictated the higher-priced edition, at least to start. I seriously doubt I'll be getting it at retail price, but once it's out there, it may get cheaper--and it may lead to others from that era.

It's also nice to see they're still going full bore on the SPs overall. And if someone back in the day had told me that someday the SA WW and MM stories would be collected in hardback editions, I'd have thought they were nuts. 

-- MSA

• You guys would prefer Captain Comet as a Showcase, rather than a beautifully-produced, hardcover, color Archive?

No offence intended; that really surprises me, but quality trumps cheap b&w "phonebooks" for me every time.

• Lee Semmens said:
    "You guys would prefer Captain Comet as a Showcase, rather than a beautifully-produced, hardcover, color Archive?
    No offence intended; that really surprises me, but quality trumps cheap b&w "phonebooks" for me every time."

None taken Lee. I can't speak for MSA but I don't have much knowledge of Cap's adventures. My first exposure to him was when he re-appeared in Secret Society of Super-Villains # 2 in, I believe it was 1974. It is possible his earlier adventures might be the greatest bit of literature that humanity has ever produced but not really knowing the level of story telling going it, I would be more likely to pick up a book with about 30 or so stories for $20 instead of 6 for $75. I read some of the Silver Age Justice League of America stories so I picked up the Archives to fill the gaps of my knowledge and the same with the JSA in All-Star Comics. I am not opposed to paying the cash if I know what I am getting in to.
  • ...Those four SECRET ORIGINS are the two actually issued during the SA and two 90s/00s " Retro Giants " collected and issued in Prestige Format at that time , aren't they ?

Include me IN for John's suggestion of a " Whatever Happened To..." collection .

Nice to see a JLA Chronicles !

Does the HOUSE OF SECRETS one reach the point of the one-issue - in America - Shaggy Man series ?

Funsville , swingin' Daddi-o , the see wayoutsville , " real " Teen Titans of the Sixties reach the Dad's Format stage !!!!!!! Ahem .

• Showcase Presents: Strange Adventures Vol. 2
    April 23, 2013
    $19.99
    520 pages
    A massive new collection of science fiction tales from the 1950s, none of which have ever been collected before.

What exactly does that mean, "none of which have ever been collected before"? Obviously, many of them have been reprinted before (in places like From Beyond the Unknown and the all-reprint Strange Adventures from the 1970s), so appraently all they're saying is, "none of these stories have been reprinted in sequential order in a single book before." I'll certainly beat feet down to the public library to pick up a copy, but that's a curious way of phrasing what's actually in the book.

All in all, this is an impressive lineup of reprint packages DC has in store for us in 2013. Not a clunker in the whole deal (except for the WW Archives, natch). Many of these have contents that I already have in some shape or form, but it'll be nice to see if the library picks up the Captain Comet collection. What I've seen of those stories is, frankly, a bit less than folks think it is -- very nice but not necessarily spectacular Murphy Anderson art, in short bursts of story... usually 8-10 pagers. Good stuff, and for the time (early 1950s), probably some of the best stuff on the stands, but not exactly at the Adam Strange level of storytelling we came to expect in the Silver Age. Plus, don't discount the Joe Giella factor (many of Anderson's stories were inked by Giella).

I'll be curious to see what all is included in the SP: Unknown Soldier, vol. 2 set. My thinking was that just about all of Unk's best stories appeared in vol. 1, so I dunno exactly what to expect from vol. 2, but given that vol. 1 was nothing short of outstanding, I'll be willing to take a look at another set.

• I just got THIS from DCComics.com which includes the SP: DC Comics presents. You were correct Hoy. This is the listing for May/June projected releases

DC Universe titles for May 2013:

AQUAMAN VOL. 1: THE TRENCH TP
    Writer: Geoff Johns
    Artists: Ivan Reis, Joe Prado and Eber Ferreira
    Collects: AQUAMAN #1-6
    $14.99 US, 144 pg

AQUAMAN VOL. 2: THE OTHERS HC
    Writer: Geoff Johns
    Artists: Ivan Reis and Joe Prado
    Collects: AQUAMAN #7-13
    $22.99 US, 160 pg

THE AUTHORITY VOL. 1 HC
    Writer: Warren Ellis
    Artists: Bryan Hitch, Paul Neary,
    Collects: THE AUTHORITY #1-12
    $29.99 US, 296 pg

BATMAN BEYOND: 10,000 CLOWNS TP
    Writer: Adam Beechen
    Artist: Norm Breyfogle
    Collects: Stories from BATMAN BEYOND UNLIMITED #1-8
    $16.99 US, 176 pg

BATMAN, INCORPORATED VOL. 1: DEMON STAR HC
    Writers: Grant Morrison and Chris Burnham
    Artists: Chris Burnham and Frazer Irving
    Collects: BATMAN, INCORPORATED #0-6
    $24.99 US, 176 pg

DEMON KNIGHTS VOL. 2: THE AVALON TRAP TP
    Writer: Paul Cornell
    Artists: Bernard Chang, Diogenes Neves, Oclair Albert, Robson Rocha, Julio Ferreira and Dan Green
    Collects: DEMON KNIGHTS #0 and 8-12
    $14.99 US, 144 pg

GRIFTER VOL. 2: NEW FOUND POWER TP
    Writers: Rob Liefeld and Frank Tieri
    Artists: Scott Clark, Dave Beaty, Marat Mychaels and Rob Hunter
    Collects: GRIFTER #0 and 9-16
    $16.99 US, 208 pg

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA CHRONICLES VOL. 1 TP
    Writer: Gardner Fox
    Artist: Mike Sekowsky, Bernard Sachs, Joe Giella and Murphy Anderson
    Collects: THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD #28-30 and JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #1-3
    $14.99 US, 168 pg

JUSTICE LEAGUE BEYOND: KONSTRICTION TP
    Writers: Derek Fridolfs and Dustin Nguyen
    Artists: Dustin Nguyen and Derek Fridolfs
    Collects: Stories from BATMAN BEYOND UNLIMITED #1-8
    $16.99 US, 176 pg

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES VOL. 2: THE DOMINATORS TP
    Writer: Paul Levitz
    Artists: Steve Lightle, Yildiray Cinar, Dan Green, Francis Portela, Andres Guinaldo, Tom Derenick and Scott Kolins
    Collects: LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #0 and 8-14
    $16.99 US, 192 pg

THE RAVAGERS VOL. 1: THE KIDS FROM N.O.W.H.E.R.E. TP
    Writers: Howard Mackie, Tom DeFalco
    Artists: Ian Churchill, Norm Rapmund, Jon Sibal, Tom Raney, Daniel Sampere, Stefano Martino, Julius Gopez, Scott Hanna and Tyler Kirkham
    Collects: THE RAVAGERS #0-7
    $16.99 US, 192 pg

SUPERMAN — ACTION COMICS VOL. 1: SUPERMAN AND THE MEN OF STEEL TP
    Writers: Grant Morrison and Sholly Fisch
    Artists: Rags Morales, Andy Kubert, Brent Anderson, Rick Bryant, Jesse Delperdang, Sean Parsons, Brad Walker and Chriscross
    Collects: ACTION COMICS #1-8
    $16.99 US, 256 pg

SUPERMAN — ACTION COMICS VOL. 2: BULLETPROOF HC
    Writers: Grant Morrison, Sholly Fisch and Max Landis
    Artists: Gene Ha, Cully Hamner, Ryan Sook, Rags Morales, Rick Bryant, CAFU, Ben Oliver and others
    Collects: ACTION COMICS #0 and 9-12, and ACTION COMICS ANNUAL #1
    $24.99 US, 224 pg

DC Universe titles for June 2013:

BATGIRL/ROBIN YEAR ONE TP
    Writers: Chuck Dixon and Scott Beatty
    Artists: Marcos Martin, Alvaro Lopez, Javier Pulido and Robert Campanella
    Collects: BATGIRL YEAR ONE #1-9 and ROBIN YEAR ONE #1-4
    $24.99 US, 424 pg

BATMAN AND ROBIN VOL. 1: BORN TO KILL TP
    Writer: Peter J. Tomasi
    Artists: Patrick Gleason and Mick Gray
    Collects: BATMAN AND ROBIN #1-8
    $16.99 US, 192 pg

BATMAN AND ROBIN VOL. 2: PEARL HC
    Writer: Peter J. Tomasi
    Artists: Patrick Gleason, Mick Gray, Lee Garbett, Andy Clarke, Ray McCarthy, Keith Champagne, Dustin Nguyen and Tomas Giorello
    Collects: BATMAN AND ROBIN #9-14 and 0
    $22.99 US, 160 pg

BATMAN NOIR: EDUARDO RISSO DELUXE EDITION HC
    Writer: Brian Azzarello
    Artist: Eduardo Risso
    Collects: BATMAN #620-625, FLASHPOINT: BATMAN — KNIGHT OF VENGEANCE #1-3, the Batman stories from WEDNESDAY COMICS #1-12 and a story from BATMAN: GOTHAM KNIGHTS #8
    $24.99 US, 224 pg

CATWOMAN VOL. 2: NO EASY WAY DOWN TP
    Writer: Ed Brubaker
    Artists: Brad Rader, Rick Burchett, Dan Davis, Mark Lipka, Cameron Stewart, Mike Manley, Javier Pulido, Guy Davis, Michael Avon Oeming, Paul Gulacy and Jimmy Palmiotti
    Collects: CATWOMAN #10-24 and CATWOMAN SECRET FILES #1
    $24.99 US, 400 pg

DEATHSTROKE VOL. 2: LOBO HUNT TP
    Writers: Rob Liefeld and Joshua Williamson
    Artists: Rob Liefeld, Eduardo Pansica, Mariah Benes,
    Collects: DEATHSTROKE #0 and 9-14

THE FURY OF FIRESTORM: THE NUCLEAR MEN VOL. 2 — THE FIRESTORM PROTOCOLS TP
    Writers: Ethan Van Sciver, Joe Harris
    Artists: Ethan Van Sciver, Yildiray Cinar, Norm Rapmund, Marlo Alquiza, Daniel HDR and Walden Wong
    Collects: THE FURY OF FIRESTORM: THE NUCLEAR MEN #0 and 7-12
    $14.99 US, 160 pg

HARLEY QUINN: NIGHT AND DAY TP
    Writer: Karl Kesel
    Artists: Terry Dodson, Rachel Dodson, Pete Woods, Mark Lipka, Aron Wiesenfled, Paul Grist, Paul Chadwick, Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti and Steve Lieber
    Collects: HARLEY QUINN #8-13 and HARLEY QUINN: OUR WORLDS AT WAR #1

PHANTOM STRANGER VOL. 1: A STRANGER AMONG US TP
    Writer: Dan DiDio
    Artists: Brent Anderson, Scott Hanna and Philip Tan
    Collects: PHANTOM STRANGER #0-5
    $14.99 US, 144 pg

RESURRECTION MAN VOL. 2: A MATTER OF DEATH AND LIFE TP
    Writers: Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning
    Artists: Fernando Dagnino, Andres Guinaldo, Jesus Saiz, Javier Pina and Ramon Bachs
    Collects: RESURRECTION MAN #0 and 8-12
    $14.99 US, 144 pg

SHOWCASE PRESENTS: DC COMICS PRESENTS — SUPERMAN TEAM-UPS VOL. 2 TP
    Writers: Marv Wolfman, Len Wein, Gerry Conway, Roy Thomas, Martin Pasko, Paul Levitz, Martin Pasko, Bob Rozakis, E. Nelson Bridwell, Paul Kupperberg, Dan Mishkin and Gary Cohn
    Artists: Rich Buckler, Dave Hunt, Jim Starlin, Dick Giordano, Romeo Tanghal, Curt Swan, Vince Colletta, Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez, Kurt Schaffenberger, Don Heck, Joe Staton, Bob Smith, Irv Novick, Frank McLaughlin, Alex Saviuk, Pablo Marcos and Mike DeCarlo
    Collects: DC COMICS PRESENTS #27-50 and DC COMICS PRESENTS ANNUAL #1
    $19.99 US, 520 pg

SOLO: THE DELUXE EDITION HC
    Writers: Tim Sale, Darwyn Cooke, Diana Schutz, Jeph Loeb, Brian Azzarello, Richard Corben, John Arcudi, Paul Pope, Jack Kirby, Howard Chaykin, Joe Kelly, Andrew Helfer, Chuck Dixon, Michael Allred, Laura Allred, Lee Allred, Neil Gaiman, Steven T. Seagle, Scott Hampton, John Hitchcock, Damion Scott, Rob Markham, Jennifer Carcano, Sergio Aragones, Mark Evanier, Brendan McCarthy, Tom O’Connor, Jono Howard and Robbie Morrison
    Artists: Tim Sale, Richard Corben, Paul Pope, Howard Chaykin, Darwyn Cooke, Jordi Bernet, Michael Allred, Teddy Kristiansen, Scott Hampton, Damion Scott, Sergio Aragones and Brendan McCarthy
    Collects: SOLO #1-12
    $49.99 US, 568 pg

STORMWATCH VOL. 1 TP
    Writers: Warren Ellis
    Artists: Tom Raney, Pete Woods, Michael Ryan, Jim Lee, Randy Elliott, Saleem Crawford and Richard Bennett
    Collects: STORMWATCH #37-47
    $19.99 US, 296 pg

STORMWATCH VOL. 2 HC
    Writer: Warren Ellis
    Artists: Tom Raney, Randy Elliott, Oscar Jimenez, Jason Gorder, Mark McKenna, Michael Ryan, Bryan Hitch, Paul Neary and others
    Collects: STORMWATCH #48-49 and #1-11
    $29.99 US, 384 pg

SUPERBOY VOL. 2: EXTRACTION TP
    Writers: Scott Lobdell and Tom DeFalco
    Artists: R.B. Silva, Iban Coello, Rob Lean, Sebastian Fiumara, Robson Rocha, Eduardo Pansica, Mariah Benes, Andy Owens, Brett Booth and Norm Rapmund
    Collects: SUPERBOY #0 and 8-12 and TEEN TITANS #10
    $14.99 US, 160 pg

SUPERMAN: THE GOLDEN AGE OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC
    Writers: Jerry Siegel,
    Artists: Joe Shuster, Jack Burnley, Paul Cassidy, Dennis Neville, Paul Lauretta and Wayne Boring
    Collects: Stories from ACTION COMICS #1-31, NEW YORK WORLD’S FAIR #1, NEW YORK WORLD’S FAIR 1940, and SUPERMAN #1-7
    $75.00 US, 784 pg

SWORD AND SORCERY VOL. 1: AMETHYST TP
    Writer: Christy Marx
    Artists: Aaron Lopresti
    Collects: SWORD OF SORCERY #0-6
    $14.99 US, 144 pg

TEEN TITANS VOL 2: THE CULLING TP
    Writers: Scott Lobdell and Fabian Nicieza
    Artists: Ig Guara, JP Mayer, Brett Booth, Norm Rapmund and Jorge Jimenez
    Collects: TEEN TITANS #0 and 9-12 and DC COMICS PRESENTS #12
    $16.99 US, 192 pg

Note: This information is not final and may be subject to change. For more complete information, please check the upcoming solicitations in Previews or online.
This reply was deleted.