And here's what you missed in the final issue of Siege...Siege!

Views: 495

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

http://ragnell.blogspot.com/2010/05/forget-death-character-needs-to...

Why everyone is happy to see the Sentry go...and, hopefully, never remembered.
Doc Beechler said:

Interesting stuff, but do note that harsh language is used, for those who object to harsh language.
Thanks for the link, Doc.

As has been mentioned before, the Sentry is one of the few characters that I actively loathe and this writer did a great job of detailing why.
Your new avatar makes me sad, Chris...
Chris Fluit said:
Thanks for the link, Doc.

As has been mentioned before, the Sentry is one of the few characters that I actively loathe and this writer did a great job of detailing why.

I liked the Sentry when he was, effectively, a one-shot gag character. I wouldn't have even minded had they brought him in as a "new" character. But, shoehorning him in as having always existed would have been problematical at best. It's one thing to shoehorn in a lower mid-card character like Jewel. But shoehorning in a "head-liner", as the Sentry was supposed to be, should've changed the whole history of the Marvel Universe.
The Baron said:
Doc Beechler said:

Interesting stuff, but do note that harsh language is used, for those who object to harsh language.

Very interesting stuff. I think I'm inspired to start a thread ... look here ...
Goodbye Sentry!
Mark S. Ogilvie said:
She killed workers in the Savage Land just to keep a SHIELD facility secret. Hill was the one who fired the first shot in cw. She has flat out told prisoners that they have no rights. SHIELD performed experimentation on prisoners. I won't even get into Clor. Is every character in the mu a saint to have that sort of forgiveness?

Mark

Doc Beechler said:
No, they all realize how bad it has been, but they want to move forward and you can't do that without forgiveness. And Maria Hill wasn't arrested, she's back with SHIELD.

I'm with Mark; forgiveness just isn't enough. There needs to be some kind of accounting for the harm done.
I'd agree...if they were real people. As it is, I'm just ready to move on and forget it.
Doc Beechler said:
I'd agree...if they were real people. As it is, I'm just ready to move on and forget it.

It goes to fully fleshing out the story, and making it a satisfying experience for the reader.
Not for this reader...
That's part of the problem with these loooonng-term stories. All those things Hill did happened a couple years ago (our time) right? Some of them, 5 or 6 years ago, at least.

So there's no real catharsis for a large segment of readers in seeing her punished, because lately she's been action (I assume) more honorably. So while some readers would react well to seeing a villain get what's coming to her, others will react poorly to seeing an anti-hero get punished.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service