As with part two, each question this time has at least two answers:

Edit: The above line is mostly true, but it isn't correct for Q.30. Except one could count that character as two or even three characters!

21.What villains who first appeared as JLA opponents became recurring enemies of non-Leaguers?

22.What opponents who fought the team in Justice League of America, other than Golden Age characters, first appeared neither in the JLA’s feature nor a member’s feature?

23.What JLA opponents, other than Golden Age characters, originated on Earth Two?

24.What JLA opponents originated on Earth Prime?

25.What JLA opponents, other than members of the team who fought the rest for whatever reason, starred at some point in our period in their own features?

26.What JLA opponents got the team put on trial?

27.What JLA opponents fought the League using more than one costumed identity, not counting impersonations of other characters?

28.What Batman villains appeared as leading plotters in JLA stories (as opposed to in side-sequences, or in stories featuring an ensemble of supervillains)?

29.In what Justice League of America stories did members of the team have to fight opponents powered or created by Green Lantern’s ring?

30.What character who first appeared as a villain and more than once fought the JLA joined, in our period, two superhero teams?

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Here is what I got.  To avoid spoilers, I am sending the answers that I have as an attached text file.

round 3

• Thanks, Luis.

My criterion as to what counts as the same character is what the stories claim. So e.g. if this were a Marvel quiz the Beast would count as the same character before and after his fur-ification, and Ms Marvel as the same character as Binary.

The perspective for all questions is the final status quo of our period in stories set in the old DCU (=as it was before the climax of Crisis #10). So e.g. if the question was "What was the first appearance of Misty Knight?" the answer would be Marvel Team-Up #1 rather than Marvel Premiere #21 as the characters were identified in Marvel Team-Up #64.

I made the final issue of Justice League of America vol. 1 the final cut-off because in some cases what counts as old DCU is fuzzy and some titles were slow to made the switch. I also wanted to exclude any untold stories set in the old DCU from later decades. So e.g. what happened in All-Star Squadron up to #60 (when Mekanique released the transformation wave) is eligible, and so are the events of DC Comics Presents #97. But putting that bit in confused things.

• I've had to add a correction to the intro. line relating to Q.30.

There's still time to reply to all three parts. I mean to post the answers to each part in turn at two day intervals starting about a day from now. Part one is here and part two here.

• Luis's idea of posting answers in an uploaded file to avoid spoilers is a good one.  However, I've taken sufficiently long thinking about my answers to part three that by now I guess it's probably okay just to give them unobscured.

It's been a fun and interesting quiz, Luke - many thanks.  I've enjoyed raking through half-forgotten memories while working on it.

21. What villains who first appeared as JLA opponents became recurring enemies of non-Leaguers?

Dr Light, JLA #12, The Last Case of the Justice League became a foe of the New Teen Titans.  I don't have a second answer

22. What opponents who fought the team in Justice League of America, other than Golden Age characters, first appeared neither in the JLA’s feature nor a member’s feature?

Mordru, JLA #147, Crisis in the 30th Century was a foe of the Legion, first appearing in Adventure #369, Mordru the Merciless.
    The Tornado Tyrant, JLA #17, The Triumph of the Tornado Tyrant was a foe of Adam Strange, first appearing in Mystery in Space #61 Threat of the Tornado Tyrant.

23. What JLA opponents, other than Golden Age characters, originated on Earth Two?

The only examples I can think of are modern-day Earth-2 villains who appeared only in JLA/JSA team-ups, so I'm not sure whether they count.  They include:
    Aquarius from JLA #73, Star Light, Star Bright - Death Star I See Tonight
    Gem Girl, How Chu, Money Master and Smashing Sportsman from JLA #55 The Super-Crisis That Struck Earth-Two

24. What JLA opponents originated on Earth Prime?

Cary Bates in JLA #123, Where on Earth Am I?
    Elliot S! Maggin appeared in the same issue, but he aided the JLA, so I'm not sure that he counts.

25. What JLA opponents, other than members of the team who fought the rest for whatever reason, starred at some point in our period in their own features?

The Joker appeared JLA #77, Snapper Carr -- Super-Traitor, and got his own comic in 1975.
    Jonah Hex appeared in JLA #159, Crisis from Yesterday, and got his own comic in 1977.
    Enemy Ace, from the same issue of JLA had his own feature in several comics from 1965 on.
    I don't think the others from this issue of JLA (Black Pirate, Viking Prince and Miss Liberty) had their own feature in the period in question.

26. What JLA opponents got the team put on trial?

Dr Destiny in JLA #19, The Super-Exiles of Earth
    Headmaster Mind in JLA #28, The Case of the Forbidden Super-Powers (this was a UN injunction rather than standard court trial, so may not count).

27. What JLA opponents fought the League using more than one costumed identity, not counting impersonations of other characters?

Amos Fortune from JLA #6, The Wheel of Misfortune also fought the JLA as Mr Memory in JLA #14, The Menace of the "Atom" Bomb, and as Ace in JLA #43, The Card Crimes of the Royal Flush Gang
    No second answer, unless you count Jack of the Royal Flush Gang, who later used the identity Hi-Jack.

28. What Batman villains appeared as leading plotters in JLA stories (as opposed to in side-sequences, or in stories featuring an ensemble of supervillains)?

The Joker in JLA #77, Snapper Carr -- Super-Traitor
    Two-Face appeared in JLA #125, The Men Who Sold Destruction, but he aided the JLA so probably doesn't count.

I don't have any answers for the two remaining questions.

• Peter Wrexham said:

Elliot S! Maggin appeared in the same issue, but he aided the JLA, so I'm not sure that he counts..

And I've just remembered that Ultraa, in JLA #153, Earth's First and Last Super-Hero, originated on Earth Prime.  So he's the second answer, not Elliot S! Maggin.

• Actually the real villain of JLA #153 was the computerized Maxitron. Ultraa didn't become an annoying pest until he went to Earth-One!

Also Two-Face did indeed double-cross our heroes in JLA #126!

Peter Wrexham said:

Peter Wrexham said:

Elliot S! Maggin appeared in the same issue, but he aided the JLA, so I'm not sure that he counts..

And I've just remembered that Ultraa, in JLA #153, Earth's First and Last Super-Hero, originated on Earth Prime.  So he's the second answer, not Elliot S! Maggin.

• For #21 would Kanjar Ro count since he fought Adam Strange after his first JLA appearance.  However, it seems the JLA was often (always?) involved (e.g., MIS #75).  Also, is Adam Strange disqualified since he had some sort of JLA status— reserve member or some such?

• As with part two, some of these questions may have answers I don't know about. My rule is, if it fits, it's right!

Did Adam have some kind of reserve status? I don't recall it, and I wouldn't disqualify him on that basis. 

• Luke Blanchard said:

Did Adam have some kind of reserve status? 

No Pre-Crisis DC story ever showed, explained, or described Adam Strange as having any sort of membership in the Justice League, active, honorary, stand-by, reserve, or otherwise.

• That's true despite Adam Strange guest-starring in Justice League of America more than any other hero except several JSAers. In Limited Collectors' Edition #C-41 (Ja'76), the SUPER FRIENDS tabloid, young Wendy (Harris) & Marvin (White) met the entire JLA who tell them of the various heroes who helped the team and have some sort of reserve status. While it's doubtful for some like Plastic Man and Batgirl, it's quite correct for Metamorpho and Sargon the Sorcerer. It was written by E. Nelson Bridwell who had an encyclopedic memory for these kinds of things though he forgot the Phantom Stranger! And he never mentioned Adam Strange!

3761472056?profile=RESIZE_710xHowever in Limited Collectors' Edition # C-46 (S'76), there's a two-page pin-up of the JLA by Terry Austin & Dick Giordano which sadly I can't show that not only includes the Phantom Stranger but Metamorpho, Zatanna and...Adam Strange!

Adam also had a cameo in JLA #200, the only "non-JLAer" to do so!

Commander Benson said:

Luke Blanchard said:

Did Adam have some kind of reserve status? 

No Pre-Crisis DC story ever showed, explained, or described Adam Strange as having any sort of membership in the Justice League, active, honorary, stand-by, reserve, or otherwise.

This reply was deleted.