Silver Sightings: When Batman was Engaged, Had His Heart Broken, Got Framed and Arrested....oh, and ECLIPSO was There, Too!

Views: 1350

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I remember being taken aback a bit when I discovered that B&B #64 was only Batman's second team-up in the title and possibly Haney's second time writing him. Beyond the war books, I don't know if Haney did any super-heroes stories before this except for Metamorpho.

But as bad as this book was, it's worse because it's a bad Batman story that we can't blame on the TV show (that comes in two issues!) and that Haney's first Batman team-up with Green Lantern in B&B #59 was a minor classic made better with Ramona Fradon art!

Still we do see the beginnings of Haney's Protean Batman. He needs the Caped Crusader to be a jilted, heart-broken romantic who is easily played by a beautiful woman, so that's what Batman is in this one story!

Sherlock Holmes was also easily played by a beautiful woman. The one adventure of his I guessed the ending, he was completely clueless.

Philip Portelli said:

Gordon is enraged by news of Batman's demise (and the coming lawsuit!) but quickly cams down as Doctor Bruce Gordon and company arrive to offer assistance with their Eclipso problem. The Commissioner makes a joke about the two being related but shockingly they're not!

Do you mean to say that Bruce Gordon isn't related to Bruce Wayne and James Gordon???

If this was a way to promote Eclipso's series in House of Secrets, it didn't work. #77 (Ap'66) was out around this time but his feature was dropped after #80 (O'66).

Maybe Haney thought that the new Batman TV show would draw more eyes to the B&B appearance and more readers to Eclipso.

This is apparently an unrelated character, but when you say Queen Bee I'm reminded of theJustice League enemy


or the other alien queen bee in the Outer Limits episode "ZZZZZ."

I was amazed by the restraint shown by not having Bruce Gordon and Commissioner Gordon related. Now had Roy Thomas wrote it.....
 
Richard Willis said:

Philip Portelli said:

Gordon is enraged by news of Batman's demise (and the coming lawsuit!) but quickly cams down as Doctor Bruce Gordon and company arrive to offer assistance with their Eclipso problem. The Commissioner makes a joke about the two being related but shockingly they're not!

Do you mean to say that Bruce Gordon isn't related to Bruce Wayne and James Gordon???

If this was a way to promote Eclipso's series in House of Secrets, it didn't work. #77 (Ap'66) was out around this time but his feature was dropped after #80 (O'66).

Maybe Haney thought that the new Batman TV show would draw more eyes to the B&B appearance and more readers to Eclipso.

That's another thing: Haney didn't know or didn't care that the JLA already fought a Queen Bee and a better Queen Bee at that.

Actually the odds are pretty even for either option!
 
Richard Willis said:

This is apparently an unrelated character, but when you say Queen Bee I'm reminded of theJustice League enemy


or the other alien queen bee in the Outer Limits episode "ZZZZZ."

Ron M. said:

It wasn't just Batman. We've discussed already on this site how Reed and Ben tried to spank Sue in an early FF. Also saw it in a number of old comedies, usually when a woman decided she wanted a job and kept putting off her boyfriend's attempts to get her to marry him and quit. And Desi spanked Lucy in an I Love Lucy episode for getting into his show after he'd ordered her not to. Clearly it was considered a good thing to do at the time, or the Comics Code wouldn't have permitted it.

I could be mistaken, but in those more innocent days of the 1950s and 1960s, I don't believe spanking had the sexual connotation which it has now, at least in the broader, mainstream community.

Nor did the words or expressions "gay," "making love," or "boner" (for mistake).
 

..." Making love " used to tend to mean more " spooning " " pitching woo " " hugging and a-chalking " - not " going all the way , speaking of !!!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure that Vicki Vale, Kathy Kane and Selina Kyle wished that Batman would have been as "innocent" with them as he was with Marcia Monroe!

In the 30s a villain pulled off part of Oliver Hardy's mustache. Stan Laurel tries to stick it back on with his middle finger. In the 50s Bob Hope holds up his middle finger to show Lucy she's gotten mustard all over it. This wouldn't have gotten on TV if it was dirty then.

Hallmark caused a lot of controversy with their decision to change "Don we now our gay apparel" to "Don we now our fun apparel."

Is it wrong that I wish that Marcia Monroe had been revealed as the HIVE Mistress in The New Teen Titans instead of the non-entity that was pulled out of nowhere for the role?

Philip wrote: Beyond the war books, I don't know if Haney did any super-heroes stories before this except for Metamorpho.

Well, Haney was the co-creator of the Doom Patrol and he also created the Teen Titans prior to Metamorpho, so there's a couple right there. According to Wikipedia, Bob got his start on The Black Cat back in the 1950s, and chances are he wrote a bunch of one-off superhero stories, along with all the other assignments he got, prior to the Bat-mania years.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service